1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Lucas Moura

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Denmark Spur, 31 Jan 2018.

1. Mr Gogolak

Mr Gogolak Andy Turner

I'd add that you can't really complain about the meteorology of this time (which I've done a lot in recent weeks) and shoot on one of the few guys who're giving everything they have every time they set foot on the pitch. He's not a world beater, his vision and passing could be better (although he almost set up Kane twice today) but he's fighting for every ball.

Some of his more talented team-mates could certainly take a page off his book in that respect...

Robbo, parklane1, thfcsteff and 4 others like this.
  2. milo

milo Fanny Walden Staff Member

I wonder if it is that he's given more explicit instructions for the big games and he struggles when given a freer role

MKSpur, thfcsteff and Bedfordspurs like this.
  3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Erik Thorstvedt

That’s exactly what the coach says about him and son on the last word on spurs podcast

thfcsteff and milo like this.
  4. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Jermaine Jenas

Nope. He's the reason that Bellerin did almost nothing

SteveAWOL and Finney Is Back like this.
  5. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Johnny Morrison

He was excellent today. I’ve wondered at times why he is preferred to Bergwijn. He proved why. His defensive work, in addition to at least a couple of excellent passes; that showed both vision and execution, wow. Well done to him for his performance.

glasgowspur likes this.
  6. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back John Lacy

Put Kane in 1 on 1 twice in that game. Along with his work rate that makes him my MOTM (sorry Toby).

7. FatBloke

FatBloke William Gallas

They were both excellent passes, too. Nicely weighted for Kane to run on to.

8. parklane1

parklane1 Les Howe

My thoughts as well, i could never understand those fans who think he is useless, he works hard and never gives up on anything and he has the skill to beat a man. MOM for me.

9. MKSpur

MKSpur Chris Armstrong

I think I’ve said before but I think he could be a top class full back for us, with someone more technical in front of him who could cut in and shoot / play a quick pass and him overlapping it would be a a hard flank to defend against. He’s decent in the air and would excel with more space to exploit with less passing decisions to make.

10. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Ian Walker

A bit like Son in his first couple of years, Moura hasn’t quite ‘clicked’ for us yet - put in amazing performances consistently. But you can see the ingredients are there.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Christian Ziege

12. SteveAWOL

FWIW...

Robbo and Gazza Dazzla like this.
  13. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Dean Richards

Just to clarify, the part I found surprising was that no Spurs player in the last 4 years had made more tackles in a game, not that Moura hadn’t made 10 in this game.

i guess we had more possession in recent seasons so less opportunities to make a tackle?

14. SteveAWOL

Yeah I thought that might be the case but cannot find a leaderboard for per game tackles... so had a trawl on Twitter and looks like Chelsea players have the highest figures in recent years, which fits in with your hypothesis of it being a feature of Mourinho’s counter-attacking culture

Looks like merely reaching double figures was enough to top the tackles table back when we signed Parker

Gazza Dazzla and MKSpur like this.
  15. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Dimitar Berbatov

How is that humble pai?
    Lucas was phenomenal! The work rate, stamina, vision and awareness was absolutely magnificent!

16. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Medley

He is a workhorse like Sissoko. I cant stand Lucas and I dont care that he can now run about a bit and put himself in there. I expect better his wasteful shooting and passing is a joke and one good game does not a summer make.

17. scaramanga

scaramanga Tony Galvin Staff Member

Most of the more advanced stats sites use posession-adjusted figures to allow for things like that.

18. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

At his best he's phenomenal. Problem has been that those moments have come rarely and his worst hasn't been anywhere near good enough.

Now his worst is very much acceptable, he does a good job for the team even when the attacking parts of his game doesn't click. If he can do that consistently he will be very useful for us.

19. scaramanga

scaramanga Tony Galvin Staff Member

The Mourinho effect.

galeforce and Spur of the moment like this.
  20. parklane1

parklane1 Les Howe

I would agree with this, he is a very good player. He works hard, very good in the air, good close control and like you say on his day he is as very good.