• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

the one when it was in our own hands and lost to West Ham and then drew at home to a 10 man Arsenal.

Whilst losing 1-0 to Leicester somewhere in that run in.
Your memory is cloudy, It was never in our hands and we were never closer than 7 points to Leicester. We had to win those games to keep the title chase alive not win it. That's not bottling it, to bottle it we would have had to be in a commanding position and then lost it. That was never the case.

Your memory is cloudy, It was never in our hands and we were never closer than 7 points to Leicester. We had to win those games to keep the title chase alive not win it. That's not bottling it, to bottle it we would have had to be in a commanding position and then lost it. That was never the case.

they drew 2-2 with WBA the night before we lost to West Ham

Win that and we went top (or the sat even as early kick off) and we went top

West Ham was another weird selection with Alli/Walker dropped

they drew 2-2 with WBA the night before we lost to West Ham

Win that and we went top (or the sat even as early kick off) and we went top

West Ham was another weird selection with Alli/Walker dropped
Nope, the gap would have still been 2 in their favour. After the that round of games Leicester were on 73 points and ourselves 68 add 3 points and that puts us on 71.

I remembered incorrectly a 7 point gap, it was 5 but at no point we're we ever in position to overtake them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35637647

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35647651

could have gone top then increased the lead with a win at home to 10 man arsenal.
Maybe I'm being pedantic but having played a game more doesn't really count. Once Leicester played the game owed to them they would overtake once again. I don't consider that bottling things. The real reality is before that round of games were were 5 points behind and after ended up 7 behind.

Maybe I'm being pedantic but having played a game more doesn't really count. Once Leicester played the game owed to them they would overtake once again. I don't consider that bottling things. The real reality is before that round of games were were 5 points behind and after ended up 7 behind.

they had played a game extra than us (WBA)

Of course its not and we all accept that, BUT any sport at the top level is played to win things and we have not done that for a while.

When we invest in the team to the same degree as our rivals then we can put the bar for success at trophies.

When we invest in the team to the same degree as our rivals then we can put the bar for success at trophies.

Leicester won it without doing that. (Though they did invest and the notion of them being a fairytale win is media spin. They opened the cheque book and got better).

Numerous teams have one cups without doing that.

The claims were Mourinho only wins because he is a cheque book manager. Still haven't seen an example of a manager who wins without being one.

Leicester won it without doing that.

Numerous teams have one cups without doing that.

The claims were Mourinho only wins because he is a cheque book manager. Still haven't seen an example of a manager who wins without being one.

Asks for examples of winners who did so without being a chequebook manager in the same post he puts forwards Leicester and "numerous others" himself.

I mean where am i supposed to go with that? :D

You spoke about the bar for success being trophies when we invest at like our rivals

Leicester spent money but didn't like our rivals and won, is their bar different?

Cups are a lottery no? Predominantly who wins them? Big clubs with small clubs occasionally. Was the cup victories for those small clubs not a bar for success?

We have neither won league or cup.

Can change it to wins regularly if you like, same point applies, if Jose is a cheque book manager then so is every other successful manager who wins multiple leagues or cups.

Last edited:
2 finals in 6 years here 6 years apart

1 league attempt which we bottled

he did a lot of good, but in realistic terms we were not close numerous times

Three semi-finals lost in successive years too. Once you get to that stage you’re close.

Leicester spent money to win.

Cups are a lottery no? Predominantly who wins them? Big clubs with small clubs occasionally.

We have neither won league or cup.

Can change it to wins regularly if you like, same point applies, if Jose is a cheque book manager then so is every other successful manager.

There's a difference between spending money and being a chequebook manager as you should well know.

I'd say it's a fair label for a manager who has only managed the biggest richest clubs and spent a lot of money along the way.

Not sure i would agree with that at all and i would be surprised if you do either.

I certainly do.

The last year has seen us invest at a level i would say is fair to place the marker for success at trophy wins - it's the level of spending our rivals operate with and it means we're competing on level (ish) ground. Without investment the marker for success has to be altered accordingly - is it fair that you should have the same expectations placed upon you if you spend in 5 years what your rivals do in 2? Same will apply for Mourinho if the investment in the team dries up

There's a difference between spending money and being a chequebook manager as you should well know.

I'd say it's a fair label for a manager who has only managed the biggest richest clubs and spent a lot of money along the way.

So by that definition

Klopp
Pep
Simeone
Ferguson
Ancelotti
Zidane etc are all cheque book managers?

Nothing fair or not about it, we have been in positions over the last few years to have pushed on but failed to do so. We have been called by some to be one of the best teams in the Prem over the last couple of seasons and won nothing. But we will not agree by the looks of it.

I see you have cut this out of your post (Sounds a bit glory hunter tuat) i am no glory hunter mate and never will be. I see/hear a lot of fans suggest we should give the EL a miss ( not saying you feel that way as i do not know) but we have a chance to win something and i can not understand why we would not want to do so.

And i do not expect us to be able to throw the same amount of money into buying players like Chelsk, Utd, City but i do expect/hope for us to go for silverware, and not look for a BAR to stop us from doing so.

Back