• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I applied to move into a shared house once with a group of guys from the subcontinent. After a brief phonecall in which they asked me if I was a backpacker (this was in Melbourne and my English accent is as strong as it ever was) they said they'd text me the address. When the text never came I took the hint. Is that racist behavior? Just interested.

For what it's worth, Lamela would end Souness on the pitch, both in skill, and sh!thousery.

Ok guys it’s been a good discussion but let’s call a time out and head back to our corners. It’s going seriously off topic and maybe can be discussed in another thread.

Rather than the Lamela (greatest brickhouser of all time) thread

Not until the Lamela thread has more replies than the Kane one.

It is most countries not just those ones. You should speak with fans from non European nations.

Yeah I would not make sweeping generalisations. But I'm about to, when Spain were winning everything the was a tendency for European teams to follow taika taka or whatever they called it.

I think in that world cup the central and south American teams had a tendency to do the professional fouls and at corners over the top arm grabbing.

First the record though Lamela was in the wrong I am one of those in the camp of people who are happy be did it.

Just realised there was no change of selling Erik, regardless of his attitude and upturn in form.

He is literally the only player we have an actual song for (Son’s doesn’t count as it relies on him scoring..)

He’s one of our own, was that actually an original from us?

Shocking though, fan base needs to up its game big time. A few approaching cult hero level and it deserves recognition even if we can’t be there to sing em.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

@awesomedawson I don’t know if you’re seriously suggesting we analyse that situation from the detail provided.

But having said that, Australians are racist as fudge so yeah it was deffo racist. 100%. Ignorant clams.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yeah I would not make sweeping generalisations. But I'm about to, when Spain were winning everything the was a tendency for European teams to follow taika taka or whatever they called it.

I think in that world cup the central and south American teams had a tendency to do the professional fouls and at corners over the top arm grabbing.

First the record though Lamela was in the wrong I am one of those in the camp of people who are happy be did it.

What do you want him to do then after getting hit in the face?
Stend there and expect the ref and VAR give a red out of nowhere?
Pogba, Shaw and Bailly all should have got red cards.
You have to make the referee's decision for them.

I think that cheating happens at all levels of the game and in all countries. What I think is racist is singling out one culture or nationality as being worse than others. I don't see any difference between exaggerating contact to gain a penalty and what Lamela did. One happens every week and Sky Sports pundits will celebrate English players doing it.

1) What if they actually are?

2) For it to be classified with the terrible (and often lazily used) label of racism which is sometimes used to simply shut down an opposing view, shouldn't they be some element of hatred to it?

Can I not believe that the Latin footballing culture has a higher propensity to cultivate cheats and dirty play, while also highly valuing players from that culture? (And is it racist when you are talking about a culture rather than a country?)

2) For it to be classified with the terrible (and often lazily used) label of racism which is sometimes used to simply shut down an opposing view, shouldn't they be some element of hatred to it?

Can I not believe that the Latin footballing culture has a higher propensity to cultivate cheats and dirty play, while also highly valuing players from that culture? (And is it racist when you are talking about a culture rather than a country?)

Unsubstantiated statements, like Souness made, making broad generalisations about foreign players is going to draw accusations of racism. If someone wanted to try and substantiate them, they are probably worth a little more attention but we still might be dealing with a racist with too much time on their hands.

No one is trying to shut anyone down. Hence the discussion here and elsewhere about Souness' comments.

Yes, you can be racist about a group of countries or an ethnic group.

You can believe what you want but people have the right to challenge that, particularly when you are being paid to give your expert opinion on a national broadcaster.

2) No. Or, depends how you define racism. Why must there be hatred for something to be racist?

Unsubstantiated statements, like Souness made, making broad generalisations about foreign players is going to draw accusations of racism. If someone wanted to try and substantiate them, they are probably worth a little more attention but we still might be dealing with a racist with too much time on their hands.

No one is trying to shut anyone down. Hence the discussion here and elsewhere about Souness' comments.

You can believe what you want but people have the right to challenge that, particularly when you are being paid to give your expert opinion on a national broadcaster.
Your posts on these topics are much appreciated.

Xenophobic towards a country.*

Similar but not quite the same thing as racism which is a system predicated on beliefs associated with specific racial or ethnic characteristics.

Thanks. I am always a bit worried about coming across like a sanctimonious prick.
People just call others sanctimonious pricks to silence them when they have no rational argument. Typical snowflakes ruining free speech and debate.

(For anyone not getting that this was an attempt at humour, go stand alone in front of a mirror, point a finger at it and call whoever looking back a sanctimonious prick.)

(Actually, don't do that, you're probably a lovely human being deserving of self compassion.)

1) They're not. There's nothing genetic about diving.

What IS ok to say is that players who have come from certain leagues may be more likely to dive. It's ok to suggest Lamela is likely to dive because he played in Argentina, it's not ok to say he's likely to dive because he's Argentinian.

The two often correlate but there's no causation.

2) No. Categorising people because of their genetic make up or place of birth is racist.

Go down that road and you're on your way to being an Australian.

Back