• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I got fired

So sorry to hear this Kandi, especially coming as it does at this particular time.

Sincerely hope that things work out for you in the long run.

I'm thinking about going back to sound and light engineering again, as that was what I did as a self employed before I stared in this job. I'm terribly outdated in that department though. I'm old school anlog, and everything is digital there now.
Sorry to hear about this mate.
Why not use the time to refresh your sound & light knowledge and re-train in digital?
What is the legislation in Norway around redundancy payments by the way? As has been mentioned earlier, in the UK £30k is tax-free but not sure about Norway.

Currently I'm a Business Manager in a unit delivering Fraud prevention services (card/account transaction monitoring) for mostly banks in the Nordic and the UK. All I know is regarding fraud prevention. Not many options in that area.
Possibly a silly question but isn’t that a growth area currently?
I’m sure I read that there has been more hacking and fraud claims happening due to people having more time and less “access” to what they would normally
And sorry for your news by the way

Sorry to hear about this mate.
Why not use the time to refresh your sound & light knowledge and re-train in digital?
What is the legislation in Norway around redundancy payments by the way? As has been mentioned earlier, in the UK £30k is tax-free but not sure about Norway.
Nothing tax free here. Standard is three months paid leave, which I get, and in addition they offered me an additional 6 months salary, but only if I don't have another job. Don't know how they can know if I am employed elsewhere, but I'll try to negotiate that I get paid this regardless.
The reason they do it like this, is that in effect they don't fire me, I resign. Looks better for them. I'd rather not give them the satisfaction and let them win, but I've been through this once before, and I don't want to go through it again.
There is also a chance I might lose out, and then it will be a regular 3 months pay and nothing more.

I really appreciate all the advice given from everyone! This is why this is the best forum bar none! What a bunch of great guys and gals you all are! Thx a lot! Now go and donate to @Yermiyahu. That's really a case worth supporting!

That's bricky news! I can only echo the sentiments of others above - negotiate the best deal possible, and spend your time wisely trying to figure out your next move. As @scaramanga said, good people are always in demand.

I'm sure things will work out for you. Hopefully when you revisit this thread in a year or so, you'll be in a better job and a better place overall, looking back and not regretting what happened. Good luck! Keep us updated on what happens.

Good luck mate, happened to me after 20 years at one company where I helped build it up from 15 staff to 150 staff and got right to the top, trained up a huge team of people, then realised the team were doing all the work and I wasn't so 'key' all of a sudden... 5 years on I am MUCH happier and do less work, with much less stress, for 90% of the same money

Currently I'm a Business Manager in a unit delivering Fraud prevention services (card/account transaction monitoring) for mostly banks in the Nordic and the UK. All I know is regarding fraud prevention. Not many options in that area.

Old bill? They take people on as detectives who haven’t plodded through. Lots of fraud cases where they are short handed.

Nothing tax free here. Standard is three months paid leave, which I get, and in addition they offered me an additional 6 months salary, but only if I don't have another job. Don't know how they can know if I am employed elsewhere, but I'll try to negotiate that I get paid this regardless.
Sounds like an anti-compete clause. My only knowledge of this is in the US, but I'd imagine Norwegian law is far more protective.

Usually an open ended non-compete like that is virtually unenforceable. Might be worth trying to find out why they're insisting on no other jobs. If it's to protect them against you working for a competitor or taking IP with you, try and get them to list the competitors and/or the IP that concerns them. So you'd be allowed a job anywhere else and as long as you don't take their IP you can work and take their money.

Sorry to hear about this mate. Is there any way you can present as a consultant? It would seem that with the world in lockdown/probably in and out of it for a while, cyberfraud is on the rise? I would think there are going to be opportunities, especially with your experience? Good advice from Galeforce. Stay strong mate and again, I think there would opportunity in your field?

Can only echo the above.

I've never once held a job related to what I read at university and rarely had two jobs where the technical knowledge was even in the same field. At the risk of sounding like Trump, good people are good people and every employer wants them. Many managerial roles don't require specific subject knowledge - that's what techies are there to advise on.

Also don't be afraid to look up The nickname that will never catch on when searching for a new role. Whilst there might not be many jobs in your industry like yours, what about jobs like that of your boss or even his/her boss?

It sounds like you have some time to take to find this role. Consider adding a skill that makes your skill set rare and desirable. When I worked in IT, I took some basic accountancy courses. You'd be surprised how many software engineers design financial packages without having a clue how they're used. So see what complimentary skills are out there - you may end up with a new role where all of your previous experience is just a "nice to have" but it will make you far more employable than the next person.

Also take some time to assess what you really want/need. Whilst my job could never be described as a 9-5, nor can I just forget about it each evening, I don't end up wiped out for evenings, weekends and holidays like i was when I was younger. What's a comfortable salary for you and your family? Do you need all the stress that comes with more? What role gives you the most in terms of overall life?

Agreed. Further great advice alongside Glenda's...

Back