• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend this summer?

What will be our net spend this summer?

• Total voters

milo

Jack L. Jones
The same question as other recent windows. What will be our net spend this summer?

Break even.

It's what we've done every window for the last 5 years (winter 08/09 was the last we spent anything)

And it's what we'll do every window till the stadium opens in 17/18

If Levy is going to attract a manager like de Boer (which apparently he is doing) then he will need to offer him a transfer kitty in excess of £20m in my view. On top of whatever he can recoup in player sales.

I know we're pretty strapped for cash with everything being channeled into the stadium fund, but I feel Levy knows he's going to have to make an exception to his "break even" philosophy to get de Boer in. Benitez, on the other hand, would probably be happy to take the job without a large transfer budget - so it's tough to answer the question without knowing who the new manager will be.

So I went for £15m+ based purely on the fact that FdB is the current bookies favourite.

I went for break even.

Now for the fun part:

Sell Kaboul 4m, Verts 18m, Lloris 18m, Capoue 10m, Paulinho 14m, Dembele 15, Siggy 10m, Ade 5m. =94m

Buy Begovic 10m, Veltman 19m, Blind 9m, Clasie 12m, Bony 20m. =69m

I would then look to try and sign some exciting youngster, gomez at charlton the centre half and the kid at Milton Keynes Alli and look to a couple of foreign signings as well who would aim for the first team in a few years time. Deeney at Watford is another who interests me.

Ought to add I think livermore and holtby will come back and be a part of the squad and carroll, pritchard and bentelab will go out on loans.

If Levy is going to attract a manager like de Boer (which apparently he is doing) then he will need to offer him a transfer kitty in excess of £20m in my view. On top of whatever he can recoup in player sales.

I know we're pretty strapped for cash with everything being channeled into the stadium fund, but I feel Levy knows he's going to have to make an exception to his "break even" philosophy to get de Boer in. Benitez, on the other hand, would probably be happy to take the job without a large transfer budget - so it's tough to answer the question without knowing who the new manager will be.

So I went for £15m+ based purely on the fact that FdB is the current bookies favourite.

FDB seems to be turning a £15m+ profit per year at Ajax (considering they've sold Suarez, Verts and Eriksen in successive seasons). So moving to a zero net spend is almost like giving him £15m

I went for break even.

Now for the fun part:

Sell Kaboul 4m, Verts 18m, Lloris 18m, Capoue 10m, Paulinho 14m, Dembele 15, Siggy 10m, Ade 5m. =94m

Buy Begovic 10m, Veltman 19m, Blind 9m, Clasie 12m, Bony 20m. =69m

I would then look to try and sign some exciting youngster, gomez at charlton the centre half and the kid at Milton Keynes Alli and look to a couple of foreign signings as well who would aim for the first team in a few years time. Deeney at Watford is another who interests me.

You can't sell an out of contract player (Kaboul) and we'd never get £18m for a goalkeeper (who are always underinflated - only Buffon, De Gea and Neuer have ever cost more than £10m - £18m would make him the second most expensive GK in history).

I don't think we were planning to break even last summer, its just what happened with the Bale sale.

I think we appear to be looking at a centre-forward like Lukaku or maybe Benteke again, who will be in the region of £20-£30m, a left wing-forward and a left back.

I don't think there will be the huge turnover of staff that japenesegardenlover is talking about.

If Lloris and/or Vertonghen get hit with a huge offer, we may sell and reinvest and break even again, but I don't think we'd be planning on that happening.

I think Kaboul may well leave as well as maybe Capoue and Soldado. Siggy, well, i'm convinced there's a player in there, that is better than what we've seen. It depends what the new manager wants to do. But the reality is that its hard to see us accomodating him and Holtby in the same squad, so I think it would be one or the other and I rate Holtby as the better player.

I don't think we were planning to break even last summer, its just what happened with the Bale sale.

I think we appear to be looking at a centre-forward like Lukaku or maybe Benteke again, who will be in the region of £20-£30m, a left wing-forward and a left back.

I don't think there will be the huge turnover of staff that japenesegardenlover is talking about.

If Lloris and/or Vertonghen get hit with a huge offer, we may sell and reinvest and break even again, but I don't think we'd be planning on that happening.

I think Kaboul may well leave as well as maybe Capoue and Soldado. Siggy, well, i'm convinced there's a player in there, that is better than what we've seen. It depends what the new manager wants to do. But the reality is that its hard to see us accomodating him and Holtby in the same squad, so I think it would be one or the other and I rate Holtby as the better player.

I think we were planning on spending £40m last summer and £20m this summer, recouping £60m from Bale. It all just got brought forward into one window and ended up being £80m.

IMO there was no real intention to invest last summer - it was just re-mortgaging against an impending Bale sale.

Just like Arsenal did, we're doing a decade of belt tightening to pay for the stadium (2008-2018). The encouraging thing is that we're actually 3/5th of the way through and few people have really noticed. Investing in young players with promise under Commoli has just been paying dividends through these last 5 years.

Last edited:
We made money last window didn't we? £6-10 million net profit wasn't it?

Think it depends a little - if Deadwood stays - net spend £0 (selll to buy)

If new manager then Levy may allow him to spend the equivalent of the net profit from the summer but it won't be much more than net £5m I reckons.

We're a well run club financially and can free up funds if we find the right player to sign.

I don't think we go into windows with a clear set transfer budget and I don't think we go into a window knowing how much our net spend will be.

I don't think we'll end up spending loads obviously, but if the right players become available we could see a £20m net spend quite easily I think. Especially with a new manager.

We made money last window didn't we? £6-10 million net profit wasn't it?

I was thinking that. I think it would be resonable to spend this money and find a bit more. It depends which players are available though and for how much.

If we break even then don't the 0-£5m voters win as well? It's incredibly unlikely we'll break even exactly so you might as well go for the option with a bit of leeway.

I think we were planning on spending £40m last summer and £20m this summer, recouping £60m from Bale. It all just got brought forward into one window and ended up being £80m.

IMO there was no real intention to invest last summer - it was just re-mortgaging against an impending Bale sale.

Just like Arsenal did, we're doing a decade of belt tightening to pay for the stadium (2008-2018). The encouraging thing is that we're actually 3/5th of the way through and few people have really noticed. Investing in young players with promise under Commoli has just been paying dividends through these last 5 years.

Possibly, but then again, you're not a well run business if you don't at least break even or make a profit over the course of a few years/seasons.

We're always going to buy, then sell, buy then sell as we're not at the top of the football food chain. We've got closer (we're now selling to Real Madrid rather than Man Utd), but we'll unlikely ever be top, even with the new stadium.

What i'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily think the "plan" is to break even every summer, i think it just happened that Bale went that summer rather than next, like you said. I think if he hadn't, we'd have bought Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches.

For me its only Eriksen & Lamela that wouldn't have been purchased. So we've had seen a significant net spend, even if we might then have recouped it the summer after with the 'Bale sale'

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we made a subatantial net spend this summer. We have being breaking even for years now (since the wages jumped). As suggested above we might need to offer a new manager something, but hopefully a new manager is looking at the long-term picture including the stadium.

When I look at the spending last summer it is hard to see clear duds and who should be cleared out. Most have had some good and bad moments, e.g. Capoue made a promising start before his injury, Paulinho got some vital goals, Chadli has had some decent games, and Chiriches has showed promise. Soldado has scored a few vital penalties, but more was expected for his price tag so he is closest to a flop. If we could recoup the money then sell, but we might as well see if he can do better in the second season rather than take a loss. Similarly we might as well try and see what Lamela offers before selling at a loss. And obviously we will not want to get rid of Eriksen. So I see a quiet summer, with a few relatively unimportant ins and outs at close to break even.

FDB's brother spoke about us a few days ago saying Spurs have 'ambition and the budget for it'. That suggests Frank has been told he would have money to spend, although I guess some will still argue thats under the proviso he shifts a few...

Back