• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harrys Trial

I don't think Harry's defence will deny that the Monaco bank account was his or that the payments were received. The prosecution need to establish more than those facts to get a conviction - in particular that Redknapp's intention was to deliberately defraud HMRC. That's where I expect his defence to try to cast doubt - that he thought the payments weren't taxable (whether they actually were or not) or he thought Portsmouth had paid the tax or he honestly thought his accountant had dealt with it, etc.

SkySporksNews Sky Sports News
BREAKING, Harry Redknapp sentenced to six months in prison following tax evasion verdict. Tottenham expected to make statement shortly

I don't think Harry's defence will deny that the Monaco bank account was his or that the payments were received. The prosecution need to establish more than those facts to get a conviction - in particular that Redknapp's intention was to deliberately defraud HMRC. That's where I expect his defence to try to cast doubt - that he thought the payments weren't taxable (whether they actually were or not) or he thought Portsmouth had paid the tax or he honestly thought his accountant had dealt with it, etc.

If it went into a bank acount in Monaco, why did he need to declare it? I thought thats what the rich had been doing for decades?

I will admit to it i use to fiddle the tax man as i belive every workmen i have ever met has done as well.

Good luck harry i hope you get away with it, fudge the government every other clam in this country is corrupt do what you can and fudge everyone else.

LOL, as Benny would say! You'd think that if you're gonna have a secret foreign bank account under a pseudonym, you wouldn't choose one so easily linked back to yourself.

Following the prosecution evidence on twitter, it doesn't sound good for Harry does it? Unless the evidence against him is somehow made up, not actually his bank account, etc., it's hard to see how he can get out of it (from a layman's point of view, at least, his defence council surely has something up his sleeve?!).

By definition the prosecution are going to imply at all times that Harry is guilty, that is there job. And much of that evidence will not be denied. Its in the detail and certain, quite possibly very small details, will be focused on by the defense. What you hope, and is quite often the case, is your legal team runs rings around the prosecution (obviously when you're wedged and can afford the best).
Harry could look guilty all through this case but one thing is all that is needed to make the jury scratch their heads (even hmrc not following procedure properly) and bingo you're a free man.

article-2090519-116B6080000005DC-498_634x455.jpg

Might have to be my new avatar...

LOL, as Benny would say! You'd think that if you're gonna have a secret foreign bank account under a pseudonym, you wouldn't choose one so easily linked back to yourself.

Following the prosecution evidence on twitter, it doesn't sound good for Harry does it? Unless the evidence against him is somehow made up, not actually his bank account, etc., it's hard to see how he can get out of it (from a layman's point of view, at least, his defence council surely has something up his sleeve?!).

I really wouldn't worry too much yet about the intial prosecution arguments. If you follow any trial, especially as many do these days via twitter, it is often the case that people think what you have initially thought about the evidence. When the defence start to make their case I guarantee you will move towards the other side. It is then about balancing the competing arguments and evidence (which will be far more complex than brief updates can capture). It is hard to speculate about the extact nature of the defence, but I wouldn't be surprised if the court was presented with Harry's tax records to emphasize how minor this amount is considering the overal context of his earnings. If so, it will be about explaining why this account was established and whether the crown can really prove he intended to defraud the taxpayer.

i dont get how this case has got to court. My thoughts....
- If Harry got found out, for lets be honest, not a huge sum of money by either Harrys or THFC standards, why didnt he say 'fair cop' and pay the fee he owes?
- If Harry was refusing to pay any fee - for whatever reason, surely it would have been in Levys interest to pay the money owed to save negative publicity and time away from his job.
- The HRMC must have a pretty big evidence to go after Harry for quite a relatively small amount of money... if so, more reason for Harry to Pay.

All this makes me think Harry has actually done nothing, or very little wrong. I mean, what does he owe? ?ú80k..? not even a months wages i bet. Also, Harry will have some top law firm loooking after him, they would have advised to settle if there was any question of him getting done......

- If Harry got found out, for lets be honest, not a huge sum of money by either Harrys or THFC standards, why didnt he say 'fair cop' and pay the fee he owes?
- If Harry was refusing to pay any fee - for whatever reason, surely it would have been in Levys interest to pay the money owed to save negative publicity and time away from his job.
- The HRMC must have a pretty big evidence to go after Harry for quite a relatively small amount of money... if so, more reason for Harry to Pay.

All this makes me think Harry has actually done nothing, or very little wrong. I mean, what does he owe? ?ú80k..? not even a months wages i bet. Also, Harry will have some top law firm loooking after him, they would have advised to settle if there was any question of him getting done......

They may not have offered him the chance to settle. They are prosecuting him for trying to cheat the public revenue, in other words they believe he did it on purpose.

He did offer to pay a few years ago - HMRC wouldn't accept it.

Also if he is found guilty, then the Proceeds of Crime Act kicks in - just Google HMRC Steed and you'll see that some guy that fiddled less then ?ú4,000 tax got stung for ?ú700,000 under PoCA

are people genuinely concerned about this?

Its going to turn out to be a real nothing event, the figures involved are chickenfeed to HR, and even if he gets fined, it won't break his heart.

Any notion of a custodial sentence is ridiculous, and nothing more than desperation on behalf of the anti HR phalanx (both of the Spurs and non spurs variety)

That's all I've heard from rival fans all season. I keep telling all of them, even if by some miracle he does go to jail, that doesn't mean the players will all go to jail as well.

Back