• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

England haven't had a midfield passer as good as Winks since crap managers didn't really utilise Hoddle. There's very good reason for there to be hype around him. Our own Modric or Inestia (even if he only gets to 90% of their level) is a mouthwatering prospect

I agree 100% about his ability and potential. What I disagree with is talking about him still being in the England team in 10 years time. How often have we seen a young player hyped and then lose form or suffer an injury that sees them end up playing at a lower level?

He could become a Modric or he could become a Huddlestone.

England haven't had a midfield passer as good as Winks since crap managers didn't really utilise Hoddle. There's very good reason for there to be hype around him. Our own Modric or Inestia (even if he only gets to 90% of their level) is a mouthwatering prospect
How about we wait until he’s had a consistent run of good performances in our team before mentioning him in the same breath as Modric or Iniesta. Right now there isnt much hype around him bar people like you on here over selling him. He’s a talented boy that is all....

I was honestly suprised that Sven never tried a 433 with Butt, Parker or Carrick anchoring behind Gerard and Lampard.

I'm pretty sure it's as others have said where Beckham was too big for England. The same can be said with how Rooney was crowbarred into the team despite not being up to it in his final 1-2 seasons.

I was honestly suprised that Sven never tried a 433 with Butt, Parker or Carrick anchoring behind Gerard and Lampard.

I'm pretty sure it's as others have said where Beckham was too big for England. The same can be said with how Rooney was crowbarred into the team despite not being up to it in his final 1-2 seasons.
Just brick managers mate. Beckham for all his faults was a good England player, basically our best over his time, you don’t drop your best player. It would have been easy to play a Carrick type and not have to reinvent the wheel, just our managers were dinosaurs.

I agree 400% about his ability and potential. What I disagree with is talking about him still being in the England team in 10 years time. How often have we seen a young player hyped and then lose form or suffer an injury that sees them end up playing at a lower level?

He could become a Modric or he could become a Huddlestone.
Either way he'll deserve a place over Henderson and Barkley.

Either way he'll deserve a place over Henderson and Barkley.

I,m not sure if modders.. I mean Winks is good enough to be international standard and Ive just heard Harry Redknap on talkcrap say he,s not international standard, if he is not a regular in our Team . Maybe he,s OK for England at this stage if they are short of players!

First one that came to mind. It was fudging criminal he was so over looked, he should have had the team built around him.

But they only had eyes for Paul 'Droopy' Scholes ( who wasn't shabby) at the time, I'm not sure of the times on this?
Scholes may have been earlier?

Winks has had long lay off so I am reluctant to heap too much pressure/praise on him ATM

But they only had eyes for Paul 'Droopy' Scholes ( who wasn't shabby) at the time, I'm not sure of the times on this?

Winks has had long lay off so I am reluctant to heap too much pressure/praise on him ATM

Think Scholes was earlier. It was the preoccupation with shoehorning Lampard and Gerrard into a team playing a 4-4-2 formation. Scholes was phenomenal but Sven had made him disillusioned with international football long before he wasted Carrick.

Scholes was earlier, and also criminally misused. Its no surprise he gave up on England.

Though they both suffered with consecutive managers hard on for the never worked, was never going to work, partnership of Gerrard/Lampard

Scholes was earlier, and also criminally misused. Its no surprise he gave up on England.

Though they both suffered with consecutive managers hard on for the never worked, was never going to work, partnership of Gerrard/Lampard

Its the English disease. Phil Neville got more England caps than Hoddle - that's the most depressing stat in the history of football.

I have some hope that Southgate is different. Playing both Alli and Lingard (even though he's crap) over both Henderson and Dier was actually an encouraging sign I think

Winks is a VERY good footballer.
Winks and Dier in midfield tonight, going 3-0 up against Spain, Spain losing in Spain for the first time in 15 years, youngest England team since 1959, 4 Spurs outfield players plus Alli not playing, not too shabby

Winks is a VERY good footballer.
Winks and Dier in midfield tonight, going 3-0 up against Spain, Spain losing in Spain for the first time in 15 years, youngest England team since 1959, 4 Spurs outfield players plus Alli not playing, not too shabby

I think Rose also gets in the starting eleven most games.

Winks was good in patches tonight. Probably one of those games where you don't see all the work he was doing because unlike Dier he wasn't going through Ramos for the cameras ;-)

Winks will definitely help our speed of transition from defence to attack, an area where Dier and Henderson struggle.

Back