1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Winks

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by elltrev, 27 Jul 2016.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

I just can’t work out why we haven’t played him and skipp together
    To me it looks so well balanced

2. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Maybe that is what will happen, at the moment i think Conte is just trying to see what players he can trust and those he will get rid of.

metalgear likes this.
  3. Bedfordspurs

I see winjs play the Jorginho role
    And skipp play the Kovacic role
    That’s 2 very capable players

4. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Paul Robinson

I would love to see Winks try a few direct free kicks ahead of the likes of Kane and Lo Celso

billyiddo likes this.
  5. Bedfordspurs

I dont think we have any decent free kick takers and to be fair most clubs don’t. It’s a lost art as I think ,OST clubs have so much focus on other things in their tactics

6. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

I did think Kane was the worst free kick taker in the league and groaned every time he stood over the ball, my frustration made worse by commentators inevitably saying "this is Harry Kane range, we know what he can do from here."

Then Lo Celso stepped up twice today and not only failed to clear the wall but I think he barely reached the wall on both occasions. I genuinely think I could have done better myself.

7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

9. mjc23

mjc23 Steve Hodge

10. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

I've said it for 4 years, he is the definition of mediocre and unless we want to stay mediocre he needs to not be starting games.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

monkeybarry likes this.
  11. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

Play Winks, get...Winks.

He is what he appears to be. A nothing player.

I can't think of a single thing he did today, right or wrong. I suspect 90% of Harry Winks' games end the same way - he just offers absolutely nothing at all.

You see James Ward-Prowse? Same physique as Winks, same lack of mobility. But my GHod, he changed the game with his wand of a right foot.

Winks? Just invisible, from first to last.

You get what you pay for with Harry Winks. We paid nothing for him, and we get...?

12. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

Invisible?
    I wished he was invisible and not causing me to want to gouge me eyes out watching him fudge up.

13. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

He was absolute dogbrick today and yet wasnt our worst midfielder. Really disappointing after some decent performances recently. I don't think he was helped by Conte's tactics but he was poor nonetheless.

I really want it to work for Winks here but it's looking unlikely.

mjc23 likes this.
  14. Bedfordspurs

It was funny watching as he was chasing and pressings and had no support. You cannot press on your own and if others won’t do it with you, dont do it I guess
    Twice in the first half he had a go at moura for not backing him up (winks looked lost doing it in his own) and he had Hojdberg treading water while he was on not closing down anyone
    As soon as Bentacur came on we started pressing as a unit again and going forward

DeanoAustin likes this.
  15. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Didn’t really notice that but fair enough if you did. I did see him pressing really well at the start of the second half. It was more his distribution. A lot of very safe passes. He wasn’t helped by the fact they bummed us in midfield but at times I thought he went backwards and sideways too often. He phoned it in twice as well when he should have been tracking back. And the one he lost at 2-1 when they got through and shot over was criminal.

I’d love the lad to do well. He is one of us and I always thought he could become the English Xavi or Joe Allen (cough, Brenton, cough) but he’s running out of chances.

16. Bedfordspurs

He didnt have a good game but from my seat in the south, especially in the first half you could see what he was trying to do with regards to pressing and defending whilst the guys alongside him in midfield just looked like rabbits in head light jobbies
    Pierre for the first goal watched the scorer go past him …. Bad
    The sew one half slip looked bad from our end and they should have buried it. Was he tackled or was it a fall? There was a lot of players sliding around tonight who needed Rooneys studs

DeanoAustin likes this.
  17. Junior19

Junior19 Kevin-Prince Boateng

Winks didn't have the best of games yesterday. Neither did anyone else. But yesterday was a tactical disaster.
    I'm baffled that we didn't go 3-5-2 when they swamped our midfield, or even 4-2-3-1. We hardly changed shape, even it was clear that Southampton had a plan to expose us.

18. glasgowspur

It's difficult to tell if he was pressing or just constantly out of position.
    Neither him or peh have any discipline or tactical nous.

19. Bedfordspurs

He was pressing
    It was clear
    He was also telling the other players to press with him but they just stared into space
    It’s why conte left him on for once
    I k one he has his haters but he was on his own in midfield yesterday with PEH playing musical statues
    And I guarantee PEHs stats will look ok again despite how bad he was

20. glasgowspur

I'm certainly not a hater, i think there's a place and a role for winks, but it isn't there and it certainly isn't beside peh.
    One criticism i do have of winks though is the shouting at players, he did it a couple of weeks ago when someone made a poor clearance, Sanchez i think, very early in a game, it wasn't the time or the place or his responsibility to be doing that.