• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

He's a decent player no doubt. Has fair technical ability and is an ideal squad player. He lacks a bit of brawn, or an ability to sidestep people to get out of trouble as say Modric could. He's not an elite level footballer, neither is Davies and neither is Sanchez as things stand.

Like I say, hands up! I admit I've probably been guilty of underestimating his positives recently because of how he seems prone more than most to passing sideways and backwards. Maybe that is partly down to the exceptional high number of touches he gets in a game per se compared to othes around him but maybe also because he sees his role as a link man recycling possession and keeping the game flowing without necessarily dazzling every time he wins possession with a defence splitting forward pass a la Tanguy for example.

That is exactly what he is in the team to do and IMO he does it well, again its only opinion but i think he gets a lot of unfair slagging from some.

That is exactly what he is in the team to do and IMO he does it well, again its only opinion but i think he gets a lot of unfair slagging from some.

The problem is his level of performances haven't allowed him to do that with effect this season, even against sub par opposition.

Players like Winks in a top club need to be extremely consistent (at their best) to be worth it in the side (think Ben Davies, not the most talented, but very consistent performer).

Fact is, almost every Spurs fan was bricking it last night when PEH went down and winks started warming up .. that says a lot ..

You sure
I only saw the first half but apparently second half he was awful and their best player. Him Dier and Doherty are all toss now. Oh and Joe Hart too
Whoa! Is that meant to be sarcastic? Because I cannot make sense of that comment otherwise.

Winks was excellent first half, made loads of incisive first-time forward passes including one absolute peach over the defence early on which put Kane clear through on goal only for him to sky over from close range.comment Everyone was making mistakes second half but Winks was far from the worst.

As for Hart, cannot think what he's supposed to have done to deserve that dig? He's hardly put a foot wrong since arriving. Had no chance with their goal from point blank range but besides that had little to do. True, Doherty had some dodgy moments but he also put in a couple of decent crosses. Dier was maybe a bit meh but nothing terrible.

Whoa! Is that meant to be sarcastic? Because I cannot make sense of that comment otherwise.

Winks was excellent first half, made loads of incisive first-time forward passes including one absolute peach over the defence early on which put Kane clear through on goal only for him to sky over from close range.comment Everyone was making mistakes second half but Winks was far from the worst.

As for Hart, cannot think what he's supposed to have done to deserve that dig? He's hardly put a foot wrong since arriving. Had no chance with their goal from point blank range but besides that had little to do. True, Doherty had some dodgy moments but he also put in a couple of decent crosses. Dier was maybe a bit meh but nothing terrible.
Yeah it was
I’ve seen hart getting dug out for their goal
Dier for their goal
And winks for being winks
Apparently Doherty was awful too
And yet we won very comfortably

I'm no fan of Winks, but he was good in the first half imo. In the 2nd half he was back to being the Winks of late. Lots of misplaced passes, and a couple of times he had very good opportunities to play through balls, but instead opted for a limp pass to the nearest player.

Only sporadic bits of the first half yesterday, but what I saw was much improved. Less dallying on the ball killing momentum. Quite a few early forward passed from what I remember seeing.

If he can keep up that attitude against better opposition then he has purpose.

I'm no fan of Winks, but he was good in the first half imo. In the 2nd half he was back to being the Winks of late. Lots of misplaced passes, and a couple of times he had very good opportunities to play through balls, but instead opted for a limp pass to the nearest player.
I watched him closely to assess his decision making and whilst I'd agree he went back to being a bit safer second half its also true that most times the safe pass was the only reasonable option. Every other player was passing sideways and back at least as much so I think he deserves to be cut a bit of slack. He made a couple of mistakes like the rest of them did but overall I reckon he was pretty decent second half.

Last edited:
He isn't a good enough player, not one with enough killer attributes to have baby sitters. Realistically he would be a baby sitter for one our better midfielders.
Yup, some consider Dele a generational talent that the team could be built around but Winks is at best a squad player who’s worth keeping around as he’s homegrown plus one of our own but if he cannot slot into the lineup without allowances being made then have to hope Skipp will take that spot next season.

I really do think that he gets a lot of unfair stick from s ome fans, he is a player who keeps the ball moving and players like him rarely get noticed but when they play well are important for any team. There were plenty of fans who used to moan about Perryman at the time he first came into our side as he was the same type of player.

Took a while for Perryman to become a fans favourite but players like that are invaluable to any team. IMO

Needs to be moved further forward. He's not a DM and never will be, he is very good when asked to perform an attacking role though.

Back