• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

And I'd rather Kane was shooting from our own 6 yd box than passing to Sterling in theirs.
Sterling is by no means a finisher, but Id back the guy who has scored 23 goals in 46 games this season to score what would have been pretty much an open goal. Lets be honest, it should have been Messi or Ronaldo where Sterling was Kane wouldnt of passed it regardless:D

He had two key chances from where he was, score or square it, he did neither and I agree if he had the result would have been a whole lot different.

Thats not to slag the bloke up its just stating what happened. Regardless of how good you are you are never exempt from criticism and Kane should have done better. The same can be said of Walker and his attempted Clearance.

No blame for not squaring it imo - he's a striker one on one with the keeper with acres of goal to aim for having turned the defender (so at that point he should be focussed on where he's putting the ball in the net, not in two minds as to whether a pass is on - he had his back to Sterling when the move started iirc)

Fair to criticise the finish - it was appalling, as was the follow up as he should have put that in too but I've read a lot of comment on it elsewhere saying he should have passed but that for me is a complete non issue as you back your CF to shoot in those instances 100%

Sterling is by no means a finisher, but Id back the guy who has scored 23 goals in 46 games this season to score what would have been pretty much an open goal. Lets be honest, it should have been Messi or Ronaldo where Sterling was Kane wouldnt of passed it regardless:D
Not in an England shirt. I'd bet my house on Sterling missing an open goal the way he's playing for England.

Edit: He's 2 in 43 for England - that's only one more goal than he has red cards. Kane would have been better off passing to Henderson so that Pickford could have a shot.

Not in an England shirt. I'd bet my house on Sterling missing an open goal the way he's playing for England.

Edit: He's 2 in 43 for England - that's only one more goal than he has red cards. Kane would have been better off passing to Henderson so that Pickford could have a shot.
Im well aware he has a poor record for England, but I dont recall him having many open goals to put in. Do you?

No blame for not squaring it imo - he's a striker one on one with the keeper with acres of goal to aim for having turned the defender (so at that point he should be focussed on where he's putting the ball in the net, not in two minds as to whether a pass is on - he had his back to Sterling when the move started iirc)

Fair to criticise the finish - it was appalling, as was the follow up as he should have put that in too but I've read a lot of comment on it elsewhere saying he should have passed but that for me is a complete non issue as you back your CF to shoot in those instances 400%
Its one of those where 99 times out of 100 he scores, but when he doesnt and there is a player in a better position than him he is going to be vulnerable to criticism for not passing.....

Yeah he's been dogbrick since, only 13 goals in his last 14 games for club and country.:D
Who mentioned him being "sh!t" as you put it?

Still not as free-flowing as he was prior to the injury IMHO.
The Harry before the injury was truly outstanding and had far more pace and stamina.

Im well aware he has a poor record for England, but I dont recall him having many open goals to put in. Do you?
I've seen him miss a lot of good chances, I've seen him do a Sissoko on a handful of chances.

A shooting accuracy of 14% before the semi final (and 0% in the semi final) tells me that passing to Sterling in an England shirt is a terrible idea.

I've seen him miss a lot of good chances, I've seen him do a Sissoko on a handful of chances.

A shooting accuracy of 14% before the semi final (and 0% in the semi final) tells me that passing to Sterling in an England shirt is a terrible idea.
Thats lovely, but you havent answered the question and Id still back Sterling to score an open goal. Anyway I dont really care as I dont blame Kane for shooting, his single mindedness is what makes him such a goal machine....

Thats lovely, but you havent answered the question and Id still back Sterling to score an open goal. Anyway I dont really care as I dont blame Kane for shooting, his single mindedness is what makes him such a goal machine....
How many open goals did anyone have in the tournament? It's a meaningless question.

All we can do is base our judgement on the closest situation we can. Based on that, Sterling would likely have missed because he managed to screw up every single other chance he had.

The Sterling who has 2 goals i is 45 games, and more often than not will miss the the target from 2 feet?

How many open goals did anyone have in the tournament? It's a meaningless question.

All we can do is base our judgement on the closest situation we can. Based on that, Sterling would likely have missed because he managed to screw up every single other chance he had.
Who was talking about just this tournament? Talking about Sterling in general as like you say theres not a load of open goal chances to look at. Most of Sterlings goals for City were from close range. He cant shoot from any sort of distance with power, but hes comfortable at making runs into the box and finishing off from close range hence why he got over twenty last season. So yes, Im comfortable in thinking he could score an open goal for England. England dont create many chances in open play in case you havent noticed.....

While he did score plenty last season, even then there was criticism of his lack of ruthlessness in front of goal. He missed a load last season, arguably should have scored considerably more.

Easy to forget he is only 23, is still developing.

I thought he worked extremely hard. His pace was a real asset - as soon as he went off against Croatia they stepped 15yards up the pitch and put pressure on us. He made many runs, tracked down and did all the things you would want.... outside the box.

As soon as he was in the box he fell apart. Not finishing, not finding passes - genuinely useless to the degree he was a negative on the team IMHO.

I think there is a player there, potentially a real asset and he has time to mature into that.

I also think, its probably fair to assume he would miss a sitter, he got nothing else right in those regards all tournament!

Last edited:
Who mentioned him being "sh!t" as you put it?

Still not as free-flowing as he was prior to the injury IMHO.
The Harry before the injury was truly outstanding and had far more pace and stamina.
OMG not you as well! I put the smiley there to show it was a joke! As in he scores for fun even when he's not himself.

Bloody internet I suppose.

Who was talking about just this tournament? Talking about Sterling in general as like you say theres not a load of open goal chances to look at. Most of Sterlings goals for City were from close range. He cant shoot from any sort of distance with power, but hes comfortable at making runs into the box and finishing off from close range hence why he got over twenty last season. So yes, Im comfortable in thinking he could score an open goal for England. England dont create many chances in open play in case you havent noticed.....
I'm talking about the most relevant comparators we have. We can't replay that exact situation over and over so we have to look to the nearest events we can.

There is clearly a huge performance gap between when he's wearing an England shirt and a City one, regardless of chance creation. His shot accuracy for City is over 50%, for England in this tournament it was less than 14%. So I'm judging him on how he plays for England as that's what he was doing at the time. When he plays for England he's gash.

OMG not you as well! I put the smiley there to show it was a joke! As in he scores for fun even when he's not himself.

Bloody internet I suppose.
To an extent!

I’m really not getting Harry’s “I’m fine” stance, he looks at about 75% imho.
Nackered, of course but that’s not the whole story!
I’m not sure how much recovery time he’s going to get, sadly not a lot I would guess!
My guess is, he would have blitzed the WC at the same fitness/form of the beginning of the year!

I'm talking about the most relevant comparators we have. We can't replay that exact situation over and over so we have to look to the nearest events we can.

There is clearly a huge performance gap between when he's wearing an England shirt and a City one, regardless of chance creation. His shot accuracy for City is over 50%, for England in this tournament it was less than 14%. So I'm judging him on how he plays for England as that's what he was doing at the time. When he plays for England he's gash.
Of course, no doubt his figures are much worse for England, not debating that. But Id back Sterling to score an open goal from that far out whether its for England or City....

To an extent!

I’m really not getting Harry’s “I’m fine” stance, he looks at about 75% imho.
Nackered, of course but that’s not the whole story!
I’m not sure how much recovery time he’s going to get, sadly not a lot I would guess!
My guess is, he would have blitzed the WC at the same fitness/form of the beginning of the year!
Fully agree. Credit to him for carrying on regardless, though I guess he's driven by his blind determination to overtake the Big Two in Spain. No bad thing of course but he might stand a better chance in the long run by taking a breather.

Sorry if my response came across as sarcasm, never occurred to me it could be taken that way. On the contrary, was trying to flag up the delicious irony of his goalscoring record despite that poor form you justifiably referred to since his return from injury. ;)

Kane was ( imo) right not to pass the ball to Sterling as it should have been a easy finish for him and normally it would have been a goal but like most of the game he was well under par and missed it.

There have been times in other games for us when the finish/attempt was harder and then he should have passed the ball and did not.

But that is what being a striker is all about most of the time they back themselves to score and in Kanes case he usually does so.

Back