• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Guns in America

America does seem to have a slightly skewed moral compass in certain areas. There is more uproar when talking about legalising gay marriage then there is about guns, even in the wake of someone butchering half a school

America does seem to have a slightly skewed moral compass in certain areas. There is more uproar when talking about legalising gay marriage then there is about guns, even in the wake of someone butchering half a school

Seriously, don't get me started. Abortion, gay rights, creationism... religion is a disease that seems to scew every major social topic in that country. I'd be furious with somebody or something every day of my life if I lived over there I think.

As the bumper sticker say " the only way they will take my gun from me, is when they prise it from my dead hands"

There will never be gun control until the Democrats stand up to the NRA. These loonies are major fund raisers for the Republicans and no-one is prepared to take them in on. What is it with the yanks? These people are so parochial!

I've never owned a gun, nor shot one. Definitely in favor of strict gun control. That said, there will never be an outright ban or anything approaching it without an amendment to the Constitution.

Guns are a massive part of America's history and culture. Sadly, I think they will always be a gun toting country. There's too many rednecks that would be up in arms excuse the pun if the government decided to make people get rid of them.

There will never be gun control until the Democrats stand up to the NRA. These loonies are major fund raisers for the Republicans and no-one is prepared to take them in on. What is it with the yanks? These people are so parochial!

puts the unions into perspective

Religion mate. Most of the country are deeply religious and the answer to every question is in the bible according to them, or "what would jesus do?"

Luckily we are a bit more forward thinking in this country and don't let a silly book govern our entire lives.

Nah, I would just say they are narrow minded. A village mentality in a massive country.

From my experience, the ones in the middle are more insular, it's only people in cities like New York and Los Angeles who have actually seen other parts of the world. A lot of Americans don't even have a passport. They tend to only care about sports which they invented or they sports which they excel at. I actually like America and find most Americans to be welcoming and friendly, but if you watch American news channels, most of the news is mainly stuff that happens in their country alone. Some of them are incredibly insular.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
Nah, I would just say they are narrow minded. A village mentality in a massive country.

From my experience, the ones in the middle are more insular, it's only people in cities like New York and Los Angeles who have actually seen other parts of the world. A lot of Americans don't even have a passport. They tend to only care about sports which they invented or they sports which they excel at. I actually like America and find most Americans to be welcoming and friendly, but if you watch American news channels, most of the news is mainly stuff that happens in their country alone. Some of them are incredibly insular.

I was being sarcastic as I pretty much defined parochial. 8-[

I've got my own theory on America. I think that there are great swathes of America that have swelling on the brain due to dehydration... Honestly.

Look at it. Anyone that lives on one of the seaboards is OK and anyone living next to the great lakes is OK. People from places like Texas and Louisiana aren't too bad as they're near the Gulf of Mexico... So I put their fudgewittery down to too much sun.

But anyone living in a land locked state is almost certainly going to be a flag waving, GHod fearing, rootin' tootin' fudgetard... swelling of the brain caused by dehydration. And it's getting worse, with all the "fracking" going on to get at natural gas reserves, what little water these poor fools had is being ruined as their aquifers are being destroyed. Not soon now until they give up their omnipotent GHod in favour of tree fairies and anthropomorphical pig gods.

Guns are a massive part of America's history and culture. Sadly, I think they will always be a gun toting country. There's too many rednecks that would be up in arms excuse the pun if the government decided to make people get rid of them.

The problem isn't the guns, it's the culture that goes with them. Most gun nuts are actually harmless. It's the States version of our very own knife wielding phalanx that are the problem. Our lot brandish knives and will stab you without giving a brick. Over there someone has a gun and does the same.

This said, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why any individual should need to own a handgun or semi-automatic weapon. But it'll never be banned for the same reason smoking (which kills more people than guns do outside of national armed conflicts) will never be banned. Too much money involved.

The problem isn't the guns, it's the culture that goes with them. Most gun nuts are actually harmless. It's the States version of our very own knife wielding phalanx that are the problem. Our lot brandish knives and will stab you without giving a brick. Over there someone has a gun and does the same.

This said, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why any individual should need to own a handgun or semi-automatic weapon. But it'll never be banned for the same reason smoking (which kills more people than guns do outside of national armed conflicts) will never be banned. Too much money involved.

You make good points, but in the case of knives: as far as I know in the UK, it is illegal to carry a knife (it is in Australia). As well as that, you would never get a guy going to a school and murdering 7 people if he just had a knife.

Knives are a huge issue too, but my original post is about the law that allows these people to carry guns.

No matter the culture, the impact it might have on those who manufacture bullets or whatever, the 2nd Amendment is a load of brick.

I was working in New York on the day our troops and theirs went into Iraq.

Lead news story was the death of a NASCAR driver.

You make good points, but in the case of knives: as far as I know in the UK, it is illegal to carry a knife (it is in Australia). As well as that, you would never get a guy going to a school and murdering 7 people if he just had a knife.

Knives are a huge issue too, but my original post is about the law that allows these people to carry guns.

No matter the culture, the impact it might have on those who manufacture bullets or whatever, the 2nd Amendment is a load of brick.

But most gun crime is committed by people who don't own a licence. And the nutters that go out and kills kids in a school are the sort of nutters who'd find a way no matter what. They'd just steal a bus and run down kids crossing a pedestrian crossing instead.....

But most gun crime is committed by people who don't own a licence. And the nutters that go out and kills kids in a school are the sort of nutters who'd find a way no matter what. They'd just steal a bus and run down kids crossing a pedestrian crossing instead.....

But every society has nutters. The amount of gun crime in the States compared to other countries is scarily disproportionate. That can only be down to the law.

Take where I live - Toronto. As much as Canadians don't like to admit it, the culture here is very similar. We actually have quite a bit of gun crime here, but it is generally amongst gangs. You very rarely get a guy going to a school and killing 7 people because he was teased about his English speaking ability in any other [developed] country.

Last edited:
Back