• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Future food and surviving the zombie apocalapse

But eventually we are going to have to.
In fact if we'd done it 50 years ago we would have bought ours more time to deal with the symptoms.
Heres a more controversial one at the other end, stop prolonging life with no quality of life.
How much difference will it make, as much as stop start engines in cars.
I'm not disagreeing with you that this is going to be a problem. Of course, there are ways to control population growth. The Chinese did it for years, but these solutions will not take hold where the population is growing the most. IVF or euthanasia will not make one jot of a difference to the population growth in the developing world. In reality you would need such a mind-shift in lifestyle fundamentals, things like scara has mentioned, on a scale that is impossible in my opinion.

The surge of Syrian migrants from a couple of years back is going to pale into insignificance if the planet heats up as predicted. There will be mass migration on a massive scale north and south away from the heat. Energy and food are the resources that will be most stretched so we need to wake up to this fact.

Last edited:
The surge of Syrian migrants from a couple of years back is going to pale into insignificance if the planet heats up as predicted. There will be mass migration on a massive scale north and south away from the heat. Energy and food are the resources that will be most stretched so we need to wake up to this fact.
I'd recommend south. Australia's fudging massive and virtually empty.

In second thoughts, it's full of racists so probably not a great idea.

I'm not disagreeing with you that this is going to be a problem. Of course, there are ways to control population growth. The Chinese did it for years, but these solutions will not take hold where the population is growing the most. IVF or euthanasia will not make one jot of a difference to the population growth in the developing world. In reality you would need such a mind-shift in lifestyle fundamentals, things like scara has mentioned, on a scale that is impossible in my opinion.

It's scary indeed. We know it's coming, yet there is literally no political incentive to do anything about it. Reckless. All you can do as an individual is vote for the Green party and hope they get enough votes for other parties to notice and start taking it seriously. Seems like we're way into injury time though, and down by 10. We're fudging doomed.

Sad, but true.. really we have missed the boat, no bad taste pun intended.

It's scary indeed. We know it's coming, yet there is literally no political incentive to do anything about it. Reckless. All you can do as an individual is vote for the Green party and hope they get enough votes for other parties to notice and start taking it seriously. Seems like we're way into injury time though, and down by 10. We're fudging doomed.

Problem with any green party I know is that they are all about 'people's righrs' and fudge all to do with people's responsibilities.

Problem with any green party I know is that they are all about 'people's righrs' and fudge all to do with people's responsibilities.

If we continue to ignore the climate change issue we won't have any rights or responsibilities to care about pretty soon though, so I say fudge that. :p I can't believe people are moaning about having to pay more tax, for instance, when we're staring extinction in the eye.

If we continue to ignore the climate change issue we won't have any rights or responsibilities to care about pretty soon though, so I say fudge that. :p I can't believe people are moaning about having to pay more tax, for instance, when we're staring extinction in the eye.

I try and do my bit and I pay the tax, granted not totally willingly, but I think they are going about it all wrong.

There's plenty of land and plenty of food. We waste LOOOOADS of it.

People think a country like England is full/crowded, but it is empty. Sooo much empty space.

There's plenty of land and plenty of food. We waste LOOOOADS of it.

People think a country like England is full/crowded, but it is empty. Sooo much empty space.

Exactly.

The amount of grain fed to ‘livestock’ in the US alone would feed 800 million people. ‘Livestock’ is also the worlds largest user of land resources for feeding and grazing purposes.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

It's not about space, it's about the resources needed to sustain life.

Again, exactly. Why are we taking about eating bugs when we can phase out the meat and dairy industry (two sources of food we explicitly do not require to survive) which in turn eradicated a huge chunk of fossil fuel, resource and land/water consumption.

Again, exactly. Why are we taking about eating bugs when we can phase out the meat and dairy industry (two sources of food we explicitly do not require to survive) which in turn eradicated a huge chunk of fossil fuel, resource and land/water consumption.

Not really sure what you're saying, other than meat is bad.
Which doesn't really matter, the simple fact is all these problems could be solved by controlling the rising population.
There isnt a will, and in fact there is not even a will to acknowledge the fact, to do it.
Technology and its gains cannot keep up with increase in population, in fact the proof is there that science had already fallen behind.

Not really sure what you're saying, other than meat is bad.
Which doesn't really matter, the simple fact is all these problems could be solved by controlling the rising population.
There isnt a will, and in fact there is not even a will to acknowledge the fact, to do it.
Technology and its gains cannot keep up with increase in population, in fact the proof is there that science had already fallen behind.

Perhaps I'm muddying the waters between this thread and the Climate Change thread but I guess both could be relevant to each other. What are the core problems you're pointing to in relation to resources and the rise in population, technology etc? So I can get a better understanding.

Very simply there are too many people and not enough resources.
One can only grow, people.
One can only dwindle, resources.
Add to that that every generation uses more resources per person than the last and there is no sign of that stopping.

Very simply there are too many people and not enough resources.
One can only grow, people.
One can only dwindle, resources.
Add to that that every generation uses more resources per person than the last and there is no sign of that stopping.

Gotcha. All pertinent points but I don't think we can brush off the impact meat and dairy production has on the planet, it's resources and the environment as 'doesn't really matter', considering the production of them has an undeniably huge (and in some cases the most) impact. We are coming at the same problems but from different angles.

I mean, we're talking about eating crickets in this thread!

Gotcha. All pertinent points but I don't think we can brush off the impact meat and dairy production has on the planet, it's resources and the environment as 'doesn't really matter', considering the production of them has an undeniably huge (and in some cases the most) impact. We are coming at the same problems but from different angles.

I mean, we're talking about eating crickets in this thread!

Bo it can't be brushed off, but again you are looking at the symptoms not the cause.
Why do we need all the food, to feed the ever growing population.

Back