• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

That would take way too long to do.
Not if the lapped cars had stayed in place.

Everyone has a delta to the car in front on their dash, you just have to get that to what it was.

The risk is that the front car could go really slowly and cool everyone down. But you could speed up to VSC speeds, match the deltas and go - could easily be done within a lap

Not if the lapped cars had stayed in place.

Everyone has a delta to the car in front on their dash, you just have to get that to what it was.

The risk is that the front car could go really slowly and cool everyone down. But you could speed up to VSC speeds, match the deltas and go - could easily be done within a lap
What if there are no lapped cars? Also, the pace car can't do F1 racing speeds, so you'd never ever get the same/right gap between the cars.
You haven't really thought this one out, have you?

What if there are no lapped cars? Also, the pace car can't do F1 racing speeds, so you'd never ever get the same/right gap between the cars.
You haven't really thought this one out, have you?
You didn't read the VSC bit, did you?

If there are no lapped cars then it's even quicker.

So pi55ed off with F1. Not sure how seriously to take it anymore.

Ah well, I'll just mount a high-speed couch and get stocked up for the Daytona 500. Rooting interest provided by Jacques Villeneuve, F1 and Indy 500 champ, who has qualified for this race at 50 years of age.

why do they wait till the track is clear, before unlapping the cars? can they not let them unlap whilst the track is being done, under yellow flags, that way the race will restart quicker.

why do they wait till the track is clear, before unlapping the cars? can they not let them unlap whilst the track is being done, under yellow flags, that way the race will restart quicker.
The theory is that the safety car pace is the fastest safe pace. Therefore to unlap they'd have to be going faster than that.

There's also the issue of bunching. It's far easier and safer to move stuck cars, repair barriers, etc when all the cars are within a few 100ft of each other.

They could just reinstate the delta, keep every one in place and each driver gets a delta to the next section they need to hit to return the gap to what it was pre safety car.

In essence go from a safety car to VC then race

They could just reinstate the delta, keep every one in place and each driver gets a delta to the next section they need to hit to return the gap to what it was pre safety car.

That's the only sensible answer really.

SC worked when there wasn't the technology to accurately measure the deltas and communicate that to the drivers. There's no need to do things that way now.

Last edited:

I am genuinely baffled as to why this doesn't happen. It seems so obvious. Maybe it's too obvious

yes, he's married to Geri Halliwell AKA Ginger Spice, and all he does is moan, hence Whinger Spice.

I've only really been back into F1 since that end of last season - switched off in early 2000s.
He does seem like a whinny little brick.
Red Bull overall have a consistent identity.

I am praying its not just a Red Bull and Merc contest this season. F1 could really do with a mix up.

I am genuinely baffled as to why this doesn't happen. It seems so obvious. Maybe it's too obvious
Because people want to see close racing, not cars running around 30 seconds apart. There's nothing wrong with the safety car system, apart from being allowed to pit. Close the pit during SC, and it's fine.

Because people want to see close racing, not cars running around 30 seconds apart. There's nothing wrong with the safety car system, apart from being allowed to pit. Close the pit during SC, and it's fine.

close the pit lane when the risk of punctures from debris on the track is highest?

I think people would rather see real racing than close racing

Back