• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I would expect that this has a good chance of succeeding

That was coming .. I'm really surprised, having got what they wanted (ESL failure), UEFA should have shut to fudge up ..

Try to punish teams now, at least one was going to take it to court

What happens if the court rules ESL is legal and any attempt to block by regional or local federations is illegal?

Idiots and arrogance ..

That was coming .. I'm really surprised, having got what they wanted (ESL failure), UEFA should have shut to fudge up ..

What happens if the court rules ESL is legal and any attempt to block by regional or local federations is illegal?

Idiots and arrogance ..

I can't see that they have any grounds for punishing clubs that signed up to it, the same goes for the PL.

Not sure where to put it (didn't feel like a new thread and it does mention ESL)

Arsenal, Chelsea FC and Tottenham in talks over preseason ‘Battle of London’ tournament | Evening Standard

Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are in talks over holding a pre-season mini-tournament this summer instead of their usual overseas tours.

Most of the income from the proposed friendlies would go to charity, helping the clubs to rebuild their reputations following their involvement in the European Super League fiasco.

The current plan is for three matches in total, with each side hosting once, and the games are expected to take place in early August, after the European Championship Final on July 11 but before the start of the new Premier League season on August 14.

London’s ‘Big Three’ usually compete in lucrative overseas tours, with the trio having all visited Asia, the US and Australia over the last few years, but foreign travel is likely to prove too complicated this summer, amid ongoing national and international Covid-19 restrictions.

With the tournament for profit in the following years!

I am not sure why clubs are too worried about their reps. They should look at the Boris model of dealing with embarrassment. Just bluster through.

Idiots and arrogance ..

They already ruled that in madrid. But it's a temporary measure. Now the madrid court is asking the european court of justice on it's ruling. Uefa should have a chance to put their side.

Now there are two questions the the ecj can answer. 1/ is the esl legal? Or is it creating a cartel.
2/ can uefa kick them out of their competitions? Would this be seen as an attempt to block them from forming the esl?

True. But would saying to them that they can't be a part of both competitions be considered a punishment?

PL and ESL? My understanding is that the plan was for the ESL to be recognised by FIFA, if that had happened, it wouldn't have been in breach of PL rules and I can't see that they had grounds to punish the clubs under the existing rules. Similarly, I don't see that they have grounds to punish clubs for something that they hadn't taken part in.

They already ruled that in madrid. But it's a temporary measure. Now the madrid court is asking the european court of justice on it's ruling. Uefa should have a chance to put their side.

Now there are two questions the the ecj can answer. 1/ is the esl legal? Or is it creating a cartel.
2/ can uefa kick them out of their competitions? Would this be seen as an attempt to block them from forming the esl?

Would be hard to argue creating your own sporting competition is illegal

Threats of punishment for creating a competing business, include threatening employees? hard to see that as anything but protecting UEFA's own business at expense of others.

Would be hard to argue creating your own sporting competition is illegal

Threats of punishment for creating a competing business, include threatening employees? hard to see that as anything but protecting UEFA's own business at expense of others.

Forget about the threats for a second (no way would fifa or uefa ban the biggest international players, spondors would demand their money back). As i asked in my other post. Is uefa telling madrid etc... that they have to choose which competition they are in. Considered by the ecj to be a punishment or an attempt to block them from creating the esl?

The ecj has previously ruled that sport is unique compared to other businesses. So using businesses as examples is a bit pointless. This could go either way.

PL and ESL? My understanding is that the plan was for the ESL to be recognised by FIFA, if that had happened, it wouldn't have been in breach of PL rules and I can't see that they had grounds to punish the clubs under the existing rules. Similarly, I don't see that they have grounds to punish clubs for something that they hadn't taken part in.

The ecj doesn't have any jurisdiction over the premier league. I was talking of uefa.

Forget about the threats for a second (no way would fifa or uefa ban the biggest international players, spondors would demand their money back). As i asked in my other post. Is uefa telling madrid etc... that they have to choose which competition they are in. Considered by the ecj to be a punishment or an attempt to block them from creating the esl?

The ecj has previously ruled that sport is unique compared to other businesses. So using businesses as examples is a bit pointless. This could go either way.

the issue is they made a public statement about "potentially" banning players from the Euros in summer, it's in the press.

You could make an argument about the rules re cartels/abuse of dominant position, but I can't see a European court looking kindly on threating the employees of a business (wtf did they have to do with it)

They weren't seeking to participate in both

Yes but uefa are saying to them you can't play in the champions league, while you are a member of the esl. Will the ecj consider that a punishment and an attempt to block the esl or not?

Basically will madrid etc... be in the cl next season?

the issue is they made a public statement about "potentially" banning players from the Euros in summer, it's in the press.

You could make an argument about the rules re cartels/abuse of dominant position, but I can't see a European court looking kindly on threating the employees of a business (wtf did they have to do with it)

Not arguing any of that. Them banning players from internationals is not on the cards. That was confirmed with the courtcase in madrid (hasn't been mentioned since). Fifa certainly can't as they are creating their own super league in africa (or trying to).

This could even go further. Say they scrap the esl and go back into the champions league, could clubs negotiate their own tv deals rather than the money go through uefa?

The ecj is going to have to look at the whole way it works and we might see some big changes.

Yes but uefa are saying to them you can't play in the champions league, while you are a member of the esl. Will the ecj consider that a punishment and an attempt to block the esl or not?

Basically will madrid etc... be in the cl next season?

I think that is anti-competitive and likely to be found to be against European law.

I think that is anti-competitive and likely to be found to be against European law.

Uefa trying to stop madrid and that creating another competition is anticompetitive.
Not allowing them to play in the cl while they are a part of another competition i'm not sure. As you said the whole reason behind creating the esl was that they didn't want to be a part of the champions league. Uefa not entering them next season might be allowed.

I don't know which way this will all go. It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.

Uefa trying to stop madrid and that creating another competition is anticompetitive.
Not allowing them to play in the cl while they are a part of another competition i'm not sure. As you said the whole reason behind creating the esl was that they didn't want to be a part of the champions league. Uefa not entering them next season might be allowed.

I don't know which way this will all go. It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.

They are being punished for something before they have done it. At this stage they have indicated that they intend to join a competition.

They are being punished for something before they have done it. At this stage they have indicated that they intend to join a competition.

Debatable. Perez himself has said they have signed binding contracts that wont expire for 23 years.

The court will have to decide if uefa have to let them play in the cl while they are also a member of a rival competition. Which they created in part because they didn't want to be in uefa competitions.

Not arguing with you. These are the arguments that uefas lawyers will be using. To justify their side.

Back