• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Does it come with the same money?

Very much doubt it but might be a halfway house.

If I were the Premier league I would get together with the government and create a new league system.

Division 1, 2, 3 and then a North and South division 4.

Would then tell the 6 other clubs they were not invited and to bugger off.

I think one of the only things I see stopping this is if one of the English clubs gets cold feet. PR wise whoever that is could spin it quite well. My money would be on Emirates Marketing Project. Already in a bad books of UEFA. If they leave it then it comes tumbling down but come out hands up and say we got it wrong. They would look like they have listened to the fans etc...
Also they could afford the law suits from the other 11. We couldn’t.

What do you think will stop it though?

The current backlash won’t die down any time soon, this has really hit a nerve. That, and the ESL finance people will soon realise that they can’t print money themselves but rather need real people to pay extortionate sums for the dubious pleasure of watching this creation. The more than a little arrogant «asians don’t care about tradition, they will gladly line our pockets regardless» thinking will soon fall apart. And with that, it all disintegrates - it was always about the money.

Admittedly, it’s hard to decide if this is a summary of what I think vs what I hope will happen.

Who are these people? Do you know what the audience will be to watch Spurs play Madrid streaming in Asia?

for every person that gets tired (I don't see it), there is target market in the billions (the point everyone is missing with taking about seats/stadium atmosphere)

Might miss the odd unique game, but I can also plan my yearly to Madrid/Milan/etc.

Put it this way: free and open competition has done football proud. The current format has seen it become the most popular of spectator sports. The same can’t be said for the American highly commercial model of sports which tend to only be consumed in the US. Why is that? Why is the highly packaged, slightly contrived competitiveness not widely consumed abroad?

People will miss the integrity and the organic nature of free competition. If/when the SL goes ahead and the novelty fades I can see it reverting to it’s more organic foundations. History is littered with new sporting setups. This commercial one - I hope it happens - but don’t hope or think it would last.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Can anyone explain how owners of rich clubs benefit financially from their clubs growing their revenues? Surely there's not much room for dividends, as most profit gets invested in staying competitive on the field? And won't these clubs be starting to approach the limit of their value, hence not being particularly attractive to any potential buyers? (Or are they relying on more people like Abrahamovic and Mansour eventually buying their club as an expensive vanity project)?

So, am I right in saying that the break away teams have said that they will not participate in the CL or EL , but will instead play in the ESL? Nothing else changes?
Everybody else is saying no that's not on.
So those places in the EL and CL go to the next in line should the break away clubs qualify.
More money for them. Ah, buy without the breakaway clubs it's not as attractive so our audience and TV money drops.
Is this basically the argument?

Put it this way: free and open competition has done football proud. The current format has seen it become the most popular of spectator sports. The same can’t be said for the American highly commercial model of sports which tend to only be consumed in the US. Why is that? Why is the highly packaged, slightly contrived competitiveness not widely consumed abroad?

People will miss the integrity and the organic nature of free competition. If/when the SL goes ahead and the novelty fades I can see it reverting to it’s more organic foundations. History is littered with new sporting setups. This commercial one - I hope it happens - but don’t hope or think it would last.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It is

Breaking Chelsea out?!

Whoa everyone. Huge news. I mean, really huge news.

BBC Sport understands that Chelsea are preparing documentation to request withdrawing from the European Super League.

Back