1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Europa League 2020/21 - Playoff: Maccabi Haifa (ISR)(home)

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 2 Aug 2020.

1. parklane1

parklane1 Les Howe

IF we win this trophy then we will be in the CL next season so we should send out teams that have a real chance of getting through, fudge all this sending a team of reserves. Obviously we will have to chop and change to a degree but we can not make wholesale changes and expect them to
    Perform well.

2. AdamB

AdamB Les Medley

Yes, dont disagree that organisation enables a team to play to greater than sum of the parts....though if you have Dier/Toby alongside Sanchez and CB and Winks and Sissoko in CM, then we would have some parts of the team which are used to playing together. Will be interesting to how Jose juggles the first month. Really annoying that we have the international games coming up in advance

3. milo

milo Mel Hopkins Staff Member

I think that he will rotate three or four players between each game and try and have his best 11 available for the PL games.

It is going to be a tough run of games and I wouldn't be surprised if we try to use our post lockdown tactic of scoring first and sitting back, to try and preserve energy.

thfcsteff likes this.
  4. metalgear

metalgear Christian Ziege

Small city, hot summers and probably not epl standard pitch. I'm slightly nervous about this one and hope we bring a strong squad just in case.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

5. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Paul Robinson

This. You can't just throw eleven players together. My guess is we'll send a decent team, maybe even prioritise this over league matches, until we're in the group stage.

6. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

We definitely need at least a couple of the big guns to make we don't fudge it up.

7. milo

At the least, we are going to want to have some big names on the bench. That means flying out pretty much immediately after the league cup game and getting having no time to prepare ahead of the PL game.

8. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steve Sedgley

Surely you take the squad and treat these games as keep fit exercises for some and for real match play experience for others
    The. You add fringe players and we should be more than string enough

9. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

Sounds like a really good reason to send the kids

AdamB and thfcsteff like this.
  10. milo

You know that the club will want to qualify and won't take that approach

11. Bullet

Bullet Paul Walsh

FWIW according to Google maps:
    Plovdiv is in Bulgaria, right next to Greece, London flight is 3 hours on Ryanair
    Botosani is in Romania, north of Plovdiv, London flight is 3 hours on Wizz Air
    Shkendija is in North Macedonia near Serbia, slightly west of Plovdiv, London flight is 5 hours on Wizz Air
    No idea how the last one is closer but the flight takes nearly twice as long. Must be due to that iron curtain or something?

As someone else said, at least we don't have to go to Almaty in eastern Kazakhstan which is basically China...

12. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

It might LOOK closer on a flat map, but if you use a globe you'll see a different story. (hint: The earth isn't flat, despite some people claiming it) ;)

13. Bullet

Bullet Paul Walsh

Shkendija is a 1,500 mile walk, and Plovdiv is a 2,500 mile walk.
    Looking closer, both non-stop flights are ~3 hours. So my point stands, how does one travel 1,000 miles more in 10 minutes?
    Don't tell me that huge discrepancy is due to Great Circles?

14. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

Screenshot_20200901-213052_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200901-212144_Chrome.jpg
    Just Checked possible flight routes, and it should take approximately the time to fly to either destination. The longer flight time you referred to, must be due to it not being a direct flight, or slower type of aircraft.
    Distance is virtually the same. Think you have mixed up miles and kilometres.

15. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

The problem with qualifying is that we need to send more players that matter to more far flung places that don't.

Spur of the moment likes this.
  16. Bullet

Bullet Paul Walsh

Strangely yes!! If I try to walk to Shkendiva, Google maps tells me in miles, but when I change destination to Plovdiv, Google maps tells me in kilometres. How strange.

metalgear likes this.
  17. tw12yid

tw12yid Nico Claesen

How many subs are they allowing in this tournament?

18. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Les Howe Staff Member

Indeed, and hopefully we will be able to with squad players. I expect to see Lamela in these games, perhaps Aurier if he is still here, those squaddies. What we cannot afford is to have some hulking great Plovdivian postie put a stamp on Son, Dele or Bergwijn.

AdamB likes this.
  19. AdamB

AdamB Les Medley

What sort of team are you expecting us to put out in the league cup? I'm kind of discounting the league cup completely. Obviously somewhat depends on the draw but I'd like to think some of the under 23s, particularly those with a reasonable amount of senior football from loans spells, might play. Perhaps 3-4 of Roles, White, Cirkin, Bowden etc, add in Sessegnon and CCV and then a few seniors (Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Bergwign, Hart etc). Will still have a scratch element to it and the increased risk which that brings....really, really could do with a league 2 team at home

20. milo

I think that it depends on the draw. I think that some of the players that have been involved in the friendlies will probably feature but the vast majority of the side will be made up of the first team squad. I'd expect nearly everyone who travels to be in the match day squads for the league cup and PL games either side.