• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2013-14: Dnipro (UKR), Benfica (POR)/PAOK (GRE)

Re: Europa League 2013-14

I hope people will now realise there was no point in playing a strong side in the Europa when we would have finished 2nd at least regardless.

There's nothing wrong with playing a strong team, however the mistake I think AVB makes is that he plays players in the Europa and then picks them at the weekend as well. We have a decent squad with at least 22 good pros in it - there's no reason that some players should be playing teh amount they are. And if we have injuries so dont have 22 players fit - just pick some kids. The EL group stages are so weak thata few kids would be fine alongside 6-8 first teamers

Not bad.

Would love Ajax.

I personally would like Porto but Porto/Ajax are certainly a bit more winnable than Juventus but a tie with them has so much glamour. Failing that, Real Betis/PSV/Dynamo Kiev would be good ties in different ways that have a bit of glamour/prestige.

I think they draw two rounds at once this time too so we will have an idea of who we play should we progress.

Seeded: Valencia, Ludogorets, Salzburg, Rubin Kazan, Fiorentina, Eintracht Frankfurt, Genk, Sevilla, Lyon, Trabzonspor, Tottenham, AZ Alkmaar, Napoli, Benfica, Shakhtar Donetsk, Basel

Unseeded: Swansea, Chernomorets Odessa, Esbjerg, Maribor, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Dynamo Kiev, Slovan Liberec, Real Betis, Lazio, Anzhi Makhachkala, PAOK, Ajax, Juventus, Porto, Viktoria Plzen

It's one of these for us:

Chernomorets Odessa (UKR)
Esbjerg (DEN)
Maribor (SLO)
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Slovan Liberec (CZE)
Real Betis (ESP)
Lazio (ITA)
PAOK (GRE)
Ajax (NED)
Juventus (ITA)
Porto (POR)
Viktoria Plzen (CZE)

Esbjerg (DEN)
Maribor (SLO)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Slovan Liberec (CZE)
Real Betis (ESP)
Lazio (ITA)
PAOK (GRE)
Ajax (NED)
Juventus (ITA)
Porto (POR)
Viktoria Plzen (CZE)

I want Juventus.

Esbjerg (DEN)
Maribor (SLO)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Slovan Liberec (CZE)
Real Betis (ESP)
Lazio (ITA)
PAOK (GRE)
Ajax (NED)
Juventus (ITA)
Porto (POR)
Viktoria Plzen (CZE)

Some real nightmare trips among those

Chernomorets, Dnipro, Maribor, Kiev and Tel Aviv

Esbjerg, Ajax, Juventus, Betis and Plzen would be nice draws imo

Last 32: Ajax
Last 16: Napoli
Quarters: Benfica
Semis: Juventus
Final: Porto

Would be a great route!

**** this glamour tie ****. Esbjerg, Viktoria, Slovan or Maribor please. PAOK is nice and all, but so far away.

Esbjerg the ideal draw for ease of travelling and progression
Ajax,Porto or Juventus for a top Euro night
Would rather not draw Lazio or Maribor having played them last season, and the Ukranians or Tel Aviv due to distance

For me:

Round of 32 - Real Betis

Round of 16 - Ajax

Quarter Final - Juventus

Semi Final - Benfica

Final - Fiorentina

With 14 possible opponents that Spurs could potentially be drawn against you might think that there is an equal 1 in 14 chance (7.1%) of facing each individual team. In fact, the probabilities are not exactly equal. For example, there is a slightly greater chance of us facing Real Betis or Lazio because they are each blocked from drawing the winners from their group and 2 other teams from their countries. So Spurs are 1 of "only" 13 teams they could be drawn against. On the other hand there is a slightly lower chance of us being drawn against Viktoria Plzen because they can face any of the 16 seeded teams. I don't think it makes a big difference - the range of probabilities will be something like 6.4%-8.0%.

Incidentally, with only 8 teams in each pot the same effect is more significant in the Champions League draw and because of the symmetry of the groups (2 groups with English winners and German runners-up and 2 other groups with German winners and English runners-up) the most likely opponents for the English teams are:
Man Utd - Schalke
Chelsea - Bayer Leverkusen
Emirates Marketing Project - Borussia Dortmund
Arsenal - Bayern Munich
Very unlikely that they all be drawn like that!! But I'd be surprised if at least one wasn't.

Back