1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Willie Hall

As ever, things have got weird in the Eric Dier thread. What a shock.

Is it possible that Ward-Prowse simply hit an excellent shot that few players could prevent? Again, Dele is a whisker from closing it down. Blaming Dier (who IMO is looking to not get a deflection) is as asinine as blaming Davies for watching the oncoming shot and not stepping into it's path. If you REALLY want to blame somebody (not you, if 'one' really wants to blame somebody) then Winks is the man who could've got closer to WP, but honestly, I cannot believe people are looking to apportion blame for that strike, especially given the real-time speed of the move/moments before the goal.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2022
  2. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

I'm only really surprised that it isn't dele that is taking the flak.
    He could have challenged, threw himself at it, bbut would most likely have given away a penalty.
    In all honesty most times you'd be quite happy letting him hit that, 9 out of 10 thats a wild slice. There's probably more chance of someone throwing themselves in front of it and a wicked deflection taking it past hugo.
    The goal summed up tbe game, lots of small but meaningful things went against us.

3. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Like before, all I can say is fair enough.

Definitely blame to be shared around for that goal. This is the Dier thread so I brought up his contribution.

You're happy enough seeing our players turn their side when in a position to block a shot then I assume. I'm not. Next time I'll know this is more controversial than I thought.

papaspur and thfcsteff like this.
  4. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Willie Hall

IMO mate that comment, in this example, lacks context.

5. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

I'm definitely failing to see the context required to change my mind on this. Others have tried, but that ended up in weirdness as you described it so it may just be my inability to see what others see.

I may sound like I'm having a big go at Dier, piling on unfairly on a player that's gotten mot than his fair share of criticism. Doing so at a time when he's showing signs of becoming a vital part of our team. That's not my intention, but I accept that my choice of words hasn't matched my intentions.

I just want him to stand up as tall and wide as possible (not arms obviously) when in position to block a shot. I saw two examples of him not doing that in the same game and it irks me, because I think those details matter.

6. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

SteveAWOL and Gutter Boy like this.
  7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

8. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

Jan was a class act, very under rated on and off the field.

Robbo, SteveAWOL, parklane1 and 4 others like this.
  9. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

10. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

I know you can read anything you want into a photo like that which captures a millisecond but wouldn’t be surprised if Dier was as tinkled off as he looked. Don’t him and Ndombele have previous too? I recall a heavy challenge in pre season that Ndombele didn’t take too kindly to.

11. Crab.C.Nesbitt

Crab.C.Nesbitt Ilie Dumitrescu

Man anyone slagging off dier only needs to look at how our defence performs without him. He’s our first choice cb without question right now

12. metalgear

metalgear Ian Walker

He can be our first choice CB and also not good enough to help us get champions league placing.

papaspur likes this.
  13. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

Which would highlight major weaknesses in the team then?

14. Yiddo

Yiddo Steffen Iversen

Dier has been good this season and his criticism is a little harsh and i feel most of our fans hope he makes a mistake so they can moan and tell you “i told you so”. Dier’s Spurs through and through and gives his all even if his ability is not world class.

yiddo37, DubSpur, thfcsteff and 3 others like this.
  15. metalgear

metalgear Ian Walker

Yes of course, that's true. But we never did replace the quality of prime Toby and Verts too.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

We may have with Dier Romero and Davies bit we need to see the 3 play regularly together
    But your also talking about a genuine world class pairing there which come along so rarely at any club, they were that good

metalgear likes this.
  17. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Sometimes, we put people too neatly into boxes like "not top 4 quality". First Dier was a mainstay of the team when we were top 4 regulars albeit in a different position.

Secondly, I don't think it really works like that. You can get CL football, and even win the thing, with players that aren't "top 4 quality". Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher, Gary Cahill, John Obi Mikel, Ryan Bertrand, Djimi Traore, Vladimir Smicer and Igor Biscan all have CL winners medals. And I just looked at 3 winning teams to produce that list. There were actually half a dozen other ordinary players I could have picked. Dier could very easily be part of a Spurs team that gets into the CL again although I agree we need to put a couple of very good players beside him (Romero would be one of those IMO). I'd be happy to keep Dier because I think he's good enough (if not top class), he's Spurs and his attitude seems top drawer.

18. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

What criticism has Dier had this season? I'm finding this last page of posts confusing as he's widely been spoke of as much improved and one of our best players - is it because he got pulled up on a couple of mistakes that have crept in the last few games?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2022
  19. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Mitchell Thomas

He looked furious with Tanguy yesterday.

20. metalgear

metalgear Ian Walker

Were they? Or just in our eyes? Don't recall we had any trouble retaining them as there wasnt any big club coming in for either or both of them.