• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I don't think there is a chairman in world football like him. A team that languished in 12th -14th for years with the same capacity of 30k odd as we have today, to be where we are, spending what we spend on a regular basis, a CL Quarter Final, best training ground in Europe...etc the guy worked miracles I honestly believe it, especially with no real sugar daddy because we all know Lewis isn't pumping cash in.

i feckin don't know how to like this twice...can i..please?

Which school is it. There are a few in close proximity. Im assuming it is the one opposite the main spurs shop????

If the club has extra land with the right to sell in an up and coming area then its all good if they can make money from it to help with the building of our new stadium.

I don't think there is a chairman in world football like him. A team that languished in 12th -14th for years with the same capacity of 30k odd as we have today, to be where we are, spending what we spend on a regular basis, a CL Quarter Final, best training ground in Europe...etc the guy worked miracles I honestly believe it, especially with no real sugar daddy because we all know Lewis isn't pumping cash in.

Could not agree more mate. Great post.

Which school is it. There are a few in close proximity. Im assuming it is the one opposite the main spurs shop????

If the club has extra land with the right to sell in an up and coming area then its all good if they can make money from it to help with the building of our new stadium.

Its further North, near the old Sainsbury's. Recently we saw loads of land stock move from the Tottenham books to another Barbados subsidiary I think. I truly hope the club is benefitting, I have no reason to doubt we won't. I guess it will be in the company records.

http://www.lshinvestmentsales.co.uk... - Property brochures (192) - Brook House.PDF

There hasn't been that many moves of major franchises. They've usually just expanded the leagues. There's a few from MLB that caused a bit of a stir because they'd been founded as far back as the 1870s and been around for 70-80 years, like the Atlanta Braves (used to be Boston Braves), Oakland Athletics (used to be Kansas City Athletics, but founded as Philadelphia Athletics) and the San Francisco Giants (previously the New York Giants).

The LA Dodgers (previously Brooklyn Dodgers) is MK Dons times 10 though. After 75 years in Brooklyn they moved to LA in 1958 because local authorities wouldn't help out with construction of a new stadium. Free stadiums are usually why moves happen. You don't expect billionaire owners to invest any of their own money or even the team's.

There have been some big ones in the NFL that upset the fans. When the Baltimore Colts decamped in the night to Indianapolis they were very upset. They were also upset in Cleveland when the Browns moved to Baltimore. The league decided to force a change of name and later Cleveland got a new franchise which annexed the history of the Browns. The Raiders leaving Oakland also caused a stir, although they later returned. The Rams moved from Cleveland to LA and then to St Louis. No one seemed that bother when the two LA teams left in the 90s, though.

The NBA have also seen some moves. Ever wonder about the LA Lakers? The name made more sense in Minneapolis. Likewise, the Utah Jazz was more at home in New Orleans. The NHL have seen even more moves with many of the Canadian franchises pitching up in the south of the US.

Last edited:
I said it here I think last year that I believe Jacksonville will be moving to the UK, I heard rumours from someone in football that it was the plan of Khan as their interest in the Jaguars in US is poor and their are rank bottom, plus with Fulham being pretty middle of the road its a low upset tie up.....

Lets be fair, he is a multi billionaire and has invested little in Fulhams playing squad, I think its postcode and city wealth for future hospitality he is buying into......

the Jag's spent a lot of money on their stadium last year (well, someone did), I think the Ram's are still the likeliest franchise to up sticks

London Evening Standard report Spurs have earned £11M after selling the site of Brook House primary school.

Kroenke has bought a large amount of land in LA, he is going ahead with the move with or without the other NFL owners agreement. This Chargers/Oakland thing will only expedite him moving the Rams faster.

the Jag's spent a lot of money on their stadium last year (well, someone did), I think the Ram's are still the likeliest franchise to up sticks

US sports franchises get the local/state governments to bend over, pay for their stadiums and give them tax breaks .. (youtube John Oliver stadiums)

That's why all the stories about American owners coming here to spend hundreds of millions on facilities .. flimflam ..

I said it here I think last year that I believe Jacksonville will be moving to the UK, I heard rumours from someone in football that it was the plan of Khan as their interest in the Jaguars in US is poor and their are rank bottom, plus with Fulham being pretty middle of the road its a low upset tie up.....

Lets be fair, he is a multi billionaire and has invested little in Fulhams playing squad, I think its postcode and city wealth for future hospitality he is buying into......

It'll be several years, if at all before a NFL team becomes a franchise in the UK but LA needs an NFL team and its much more plausible the Jags move to the west coast

I read this from E-Spurs, very positive and interesting, especially the part about the recent Fanatics deal.

http://espurs.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-new-age-hotspur.html

The New Age Hotspur
8:00 a.m. Cam Lessard

What a summer it has been, so far. The strategic and precise operation for Spurs' transfer window has been inspiring. Clearly, there is direction. Clearly, a master plan in place. Clearly, Poch is being taken seriously. It's the supporter's clamouring finally coming to fruition after a season of ups and downs, to say the least.

Obviously, Mauricio Pochettino had to tread carefully to start last season. We all knew he was playing with the hand he had been dealt and were all aware that what he idealised in a roster, was not on the pitch every week. It took a few weeks, but eventually the likes of Kaboul, Capoue, and Adebayor were completely removed from the plan. From very early, we could tell that Poch likes dealing with the hungry youth, rather than the fat veterans.

The injection of Harry Kane cemented this ideal. Even though he was lighting up the Europa League, it took a while for Kane to break in to the starting eleven as a permanent fixture. Looking back, he should have been playing every minute of every match from the beginning. Poch probably knew it, but old traditions are tough to kill. An out of form Adebayor and an unlucky Soldado had to have their chance to prove their worth, right? The weekly wages and transfer fees had to be fulfilled through play, right? I'm pretty sure that is what Poch was pressured into, at least.

But, as the season wore on, and the high wage players declined in play, Poch could knock them down a few pegs. There was a series of pinpointed responses to mediocre players who could no longer be taught or coached. Instead of dealing with stubbornness, Poch invested in pliable and covetous youth. For example, Pochettino thrust Ryan Mason into an important position and allowed him to grow into the role and become serviceable. It earned Ryan Mason a nice contract and a standing on the team, and it made Poch's plan look that much more attractive to seek.

Financially, relying on youth is sound, but it does not win trophies or heighten the value or support of the team. Levy is in the business of making money. He must to spend in order to keep our rabid support base from ripping him to shreds (more so than he already is). So, if Poch can offer low cost, home grown, viable, beloved players, Levy's job is pretty easy, right? Obviously, players at the calibre of Nabil Bentaleb or Harry Kane will not be coming out of the youth squad every year. Those success stories, however, provide examples of how good things can get when managerial freedom is allowed in order to pursue and work on achieving full potential of players.

Is there a better way of making money than turning nothing into something? Harry Kane, for all intents and purposes, was a nothing. Make no mistakes, Levy would have no qualms with spinning Harry Kane to Real Madrid if the price was right, we saw that with Bale. So, at this rate, it behooves Levy to follow Poch's lead by investing in cost effective solutions to solve big money problems.

Obviously, in the future, for example, if the academy has difficulty grooming forwards, the first team can be augmented using the money saved by relying up a promising crew of fullbacks and mid-fielders from the youth squad. It's a broad example, but the model is realistic for both on-the-pitch and business performance.

It's clear this model has played a key role in this off-season, in fact. Last year, Spurs allowed nearly as many goals at they scored; and they scored a lot, too. Evidently, in Poch's opinion, there weren't any youth players who could make a clear impact for the upcoming year. DeAndre Yedlin isn't a Premier League right-back, Kyle Walker-Peters is extremely young, and Milos Veljkovic is going to end up as a defensive midfielder. In other words, there is no youth player who is a better option that what existed at the end of last season (Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose). With that in mind, Poch and Levy invested in Wimmer, Trippier, and Alderweireld with the idea of heightening competition and, ultimately, letting the cream rise to the top. It will be fascinating to see where the back-line ends up, but rest assured the fight for positioning will be a blood sport by design.

In initiating this new model, Spurs have done an incredible job creating a better environment for it to be realised. Gone is Kaboul, Paulinho, Capoue, Holtby, Stambouli, as well as future, certain departures. Levy fleeced Guangzhou for Paulinho and made Sunderland look like macarons while off-loading Kaboul. If nothing else, it guarantees the new age movement towards self-sustainment, while simultaneously promoting the creed of 'hard work pays off.' If you can do what Poch says, you will move up the roster. If you can't, you will be buried on the squad until you can be sold. To be on Tottenham you have to work harder than the next guy up. You have to 'Stay Relentless.' It may be the new marketing slogan, but it's what Pochettino will live by.

Levy seems to be striving to get to that relentless level, also. Hell, when you make a deal with the NFL, you know you are heading in a positive financial direction. I know there are a lot of mixed feelings that come by allowing the NFL to host games at the new stadium, but the influx of cash is going to be so great, that it is almost impossible to turn down. Additionally, he penned a deal with Fanatics, a giant sports retailer over here in the United States. As an American Spurs fan, I can honestly say, I could not be happier with either piece of news. It means exposure. It means fandom. It means substantial growth for the club. Tottenham already has a giant, U.S. fan-base, but it is about to get a lot larger. Both the NFL and the retail deal are incredible pushes forward in that regard. Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention the incredible stadium plans. I could not be more impressed and satisfied. All of this progress shows that Tottenham can no longer be taken lightly. It is clear that the long term plan is to be mentioned in the same breath as Manchester United and Chelsea.

Ultimately, the new age Hotspur ideal is happening at an organisational level. It goes beyond the pitch. It now applies to every facet of the machine. This summer is the first step in what could be a very fun and competitive ride...Let's just hope Levy doesn't sell Kane or fire Pochettino before the season.

For what it's worth I have noticed that when playing my Xbox I'll get messages every now and then from Americans saying "Come on you Spurs" as my gamerlogo is the Spurs badge. This never used to happen so I guess what ever we're doing is starting to pay off and that can only be good in the long run. I think the blogs pretty spot on.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34767964

A slightly different angle to the player development story instead of just looking at the age of the teams actually looking at the percentage of "home grown"/"club-trained" players. Here defined as players that spent at least 3 years at the club between the ages of 15 and 21.

Unsurprisingly we're way ahead at 32%, solid drop to Arsenal in second at 24%, then United at 20%.

I think it illustrates that although some clubs like Liverpool and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are rightly being praised for their youth policy, that's quite different from having a good academy and overall player development philosophy. Bit different just signing up talented players in their late teens and early twenties, often for big money, and actually contributing to the development of players from an earlier age.

I've said it before, and will continue to say it, the FA should be sending Levy weekly shipments of hookers and blow as thanks for the steps we've made under him in terms of player development. And whenever we as a club have anything to say about how a player should be managed they should sit up, take notice and stfu. Perhaps they'll accidentally learn something.

I've heard it stated that Barcelona aims to have 50% of their squad made up of home grown players from La Masia. I don't know if that's still true, or if they're actually mangaging to reach that goal. I'm guessing perhaps not at the moment. Wouldn't be an unthinkable goal for us either actually.

A slightly different angle to the player development story instead of just looking at the age of the teams actually looking at the percentage of "home grown"/"club-trained" players. Here defined as players that spent at least 3 years at the club between the ages of 15 and 21.

Unsurprisingly we're way ahead at 32%, solid drop to Arsenal in second at 24%, then United at 20%.

I think it illustrates that although some clubs like Liverpool and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are rightly being praised for their youth policy, that's quite different from having a good academy and overall player development philosophy. Bit different just signing up talented players in their late teens and early twenties, often for big money, and actually contributing to the development of players from an earlier age.

I've said it before, and will continue to say it, the FA should be sending Levy weekly shipments of hookers and blow as thanks for the steps we've made under him in terms of player development. And whenever we as a club have anything to say about how a player should be managed they should sit up, take notice and stfu. Perhaps they'll accidentally learn something.

I've heard it stated that Barcelona aims to have 50% of their squad made up of home grown players from La Masia. I don't know if that's still true, or if they're actually mangaging to reach that goal. I'm guessing perhaps not at the moment. Wouldn't be an unthinkable goal for us either actually.

To be fair, its just a good business strategy, from Levy's viewpoint

- We are being outspent by the 4 clubs above us, and the club below us by a margin of 2-3X, and we can't change that until Stadium is complete
- Players like Harry Kane, Mason, Rose, Bentaleb supplemented by the odd smart Dier purchase may have saved us $100M
- Investments in the academy with sales of players like Jake, Caulker, etc means at worst case we break even.
- Additionally it is actually good for product, i.e. fans like homegrown.

To your point, executing on a development and youth purchase strategy is one thing, having it make a significant/ongoing impact on the first team is another. So either we have really changed something at the academy over last 5 years, and/or the manager has to take some credit (and Levy for having the vision/trust).

I wonder whether our current crop of youngsters will be able to emulate Utd's Class of '92? Will Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Josh Onomah coupled with the recently added Dier and Alli be our equivalent? Bearing in mind I deliberately missed off Tom Carroll and Andros Townsend as I don't think they will be with us long term we are doing just fine. How much would that initial list cost to replace in the current market with equivalent talent? A bloody small fortune.

I am so, so positive for the future of Spurs where we fans can so clearly see the fruits of the investment in the Training Centre, and where we have a manager who is not scared to follow the age old mantra of 'if you're good enough, you're old enough!'

To be fair, its just a good business strategy, from Levy's viewpoint

- We are being outspent by the 4 clubs above us, and the club below us by a margin of 2-3X, and we can't change that until Stadium is complete
- Players like Harry Kane, Mason, Rose, Bentaleb supplemented by the odd smart Dier purchase may have saved us $100M
- Investments in the academy with sales of players like Jake, Caulker, etc means at worst case we break even.
- Additionally it is actually good for product, i.e. fans like homegrown.

To your point, executing on a development and youth purchase strategy is one thing, having it make a significant/ongoing impact on the first team is another. So either we have really changed something at the academy over last 5 years, and/or the manager has to take some credit (and Levy for having the vision/trust).

As with so many things Levy what makes business sense also makes footballing sense. This is a great way to try to successfully compete with teams with much bigger budgets than ours, one of the very few ways actually.

I think it's a combination between changes to the academy including the new training ground and changes to the first team management.

Back