• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Down White Hart Memory Lane

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
With only a year and a bit to go before we say goodbye to the venerable old stadium, it's time to start reminiscing. Some of my early memories involve glorious European cup nights witnessing stunning goals by the likes of Jimmy Greaves and Cliff Jones but one of my most cherished of all did not even involve a single ball being kicked.

As a teenager back in 1961, the year when the 'Super Spurs' had the whole country agog at their amazing football, I was mooching around WHL on a non-match day when to my surprise I noticed an open door into the ground. So naturally enough I strolled in and, realising there was no one around, clambered up the steps of the old East Stand right to the top. I emerged to witness below the entire first team squad including Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones and Bobby Smith jogging around the perimeter. It's amazing to think that jogging around the pitch was a normal part of training in those days even at a club as cutting edge as Tottenham.

To say I was awestruck is an understatement. I just couldn't believe my luck. They did not seem to notice me so there I was on my own watching my heroes with the whole stadium to myself! Even at that time I could not believe it was so easy to gatecrash the ground.

I lingered for a while listening to Cecil Pointer urging them on and exchanging banter with them as they jogged before deciding I'd better get my arse out of there pronto before someone nabbed me by the scruff of the neck and unceremoniously booted me out on the street.

I don't doubt many of us can recall all kinds of quirky memories, so let's be hearing yours.

Last edited:
With only a year and a bit to go before we say goodbye to the venerable old stadium, it's time to start reminiscing. Needless to say some of my early memories involve glorious European cup nights witnessing stunning goals by the likes of Jimmy Greaves and Cliff Jones but one of my most cherished of all did not even involve a single ball being kicked.

As a teenager back in 1961, the year when the 'Super Spurs' had the whole country agog at their amazing football, I was mooching around WHL on a non-match day when to my surprise I noticed an open door into the ground. So naturally enough I strolled in and, realising there was no one around, clambered up the steps of the old East Stand right to the top. I emerged to witness below the entire first team squad including Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones and Bobby Smith jogging around the perimeter. It's amazing to think that jogging around the pitch was a normal part of training in those days even at a club as cutting edge as Tottenham.

To say I was awestruck is an understatement. I just couldn't believe my luck. They did not seem to notice me so there I was on my own watching my heroes with the whole stadium to myself! Even at that time I could not believe it was so easy to gatecrash the ground.

I lingered for a while listening to Cecil Pointer urging them on and exchanging banter with them as they jogged before deciding I'd better get my arse out of there pronto before someone could nab me by the scruff of the neck and unceremoniously boot me out onto the street.

I don't doubt many of us can recall all kinds of quirky memories, so let's be hearing yours.

I remember Cecil Poynton the old coach, always seemed a stern man, he was the first Spurs player to be sent off in the 30's, I think Greavesie was the next in '63.

There are just too many to mention, so I will just talk about my first game. Boxing day 1986 v West Ham. I was but a young boy. I got there stupidly early, because my dad wanted to make an occasion of it. We went to the club shop, and I waited at the gates for the players to come in. I got to shake Chris Waddle's hand.

I don't remember the game too well but know that we smashed them, but I do have vivid memories of the stand. We were stood in the shelf and I remember the cigarette smoke, the smell of beer and the perimeter fencing. I also remember the place going absolutely wild when we scored. I got separated from my dad in the celebrations and couldn't find him for what seemed like an eternity. Some kind soul stuck me on his shoulders so that I could look out for my dad.

I still have the program somewhere and a newspaper cutting of the result. 4-0 to us, and I got to see all my heroes in the flesh. Hoddle, Waddle, Ossie, Mabbutt, Clive Allen and Ray Thomas. I did support Spurs before going to that game, but only as a child would. Not really getting it. After that game I was hooked.

There are just too many to mention, so I will just talk about my first game. Boxing day 1986 v West Ham. I was but a young boy. I got there stupidly early, because my dad wanted to make an occasion of it. We went to the club shop, and I waited at the gates for the players to come in. I got to shake Chris Waddle's hand.

I don't remember the game too well but know that we smashed them, but I do have vivid memories of the stand. We were stood in the shelf and I remember the cigarette smoke, the smell of beer and the perimeter fencing. I also remember the place going absolutely wild when we scored. I got separated from my dad in the celebrations and couldn't find him for what seemed like an eternity. Some kind soul stuck me on his shoulders so that I could look out for my dad.

I still have the program somewhere and a newspaper cutting of the result. 4-0 to us, and I got to see all my heroes in the flesh. Hoddle, Waddle, Ossie, Mabbutt, Clive Allen and Ray Thomas. I did support Spurs before going to that game, but only as a child would. Not really getting it. After that game I was hooked.
Great stuff Gazza. Love the bit about being put on someone's shoulder, he'd probably get arrested for that nowadays. ;)

More! More!

One of the things I do remember ( and they are many) was in the early days all the kids being passed down the to the front and for many games we sat on the touchlines.

Not a match day story but being from Northern Ireland I had never been to White Hart lane before and I found myself staying with a family who lived in Kent for a few days. I decided it would be a good idea to head to the ground and just have a look. Looking at the map I found the road White Hart Lane, managed to find my way to one end of it and thought I must be nearby. Walked and walked until eventually coming upon the ground. In my naivety I thought you could just nip up and book a tour. Anyway it was during the summer and there was work being done so no tour but a very friendly security guard felt sorry for my tale of travel and sneaked me in for a look. The girl I was with wasn't a football fan at all and at this stage was pretty peed off. However this guy blew us both away, took us into changing rooms, dug outs and gave a bit of a history of the then new stands. He was full of praise for Sugar who he said had saved us from ruin. Will never forget it my first taste of the great stadium, been back to 6 matches since and we have won every game.
Feel free to pay for me to go to all home games from now on!

One of the things I do remember ( and they are many) was in the early days all the kids being passed down the to the front and for many games we sat on the touchlines.
Never got lucky that way because as a kid I was always with a school group. There was no kids section in the early 50s and for some reason we always ended up at the back of the upper tier of terracing surrounded by adults. So we never got to see much of the action and (cue violins) were quite literally reduced to jumping up and down just to get a fleeting glimpse of the pitch. It was all about being there and waiting for the roar when we'd scored.

Cliff Jones has a biography out: Cliff Jones – It’s A Wonderful Life!

Even I am not old enough to remember Cliff in his pomp but when I was a nipper people used to get out of their seats at WHL just to see Cliff walk along the touchline when he was a substitute.

If you get a chance to see film footage of the early sixties cup finals, Cliff looks like he has been filmed in "silent movie" improbably fast mode and everyone else in slow motion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...of-his-day-fought-back-from-the-darkest-pits/

Cliff Jones could catch pigeons he was that fast, Billy Nic used to joke that they had to make sure the gates to the lane were shut, because once he got the ball at his feet he just kept going. One of the best headers of a ball i have seen as well.

I remember going to get my first season ticket with my cousin. Must have been around 1978. Cost £45 I think. As we came away from the ticket office like Spur of the moment, we had a mooch round. There was some work going on there and the East stand doors were open. A builder waved us in and threw a football at us.. We ran from one end of the pitch to the other dribbling it... It seemed so big! I remember there were no pitch markings or goals as it was in the close season. I'll always be thankful to that builder.

Cliff Jones could catch pigeons he was that fast, Billy Nic used to joke that they had to make sure the gates to the lane were shut, because once he got the ball at his feet he just kept going. One of the best headers of a ball i have seen as well.
The oppo's only chance of stopping him was to lunge from behind to trip him. Bought many a fk on the edge of the box, that.
I hear the flying header is currently on the Red List of endangered species. Some even claim it is already extinct.

Last edited:

Did Stadium Tour this year with Cliff Jones, he's still fit as a Butcher Dog. He did 10 press-ups on the dressing room floor.

The oppo's only chance of stopping him was to lunge from behind to

I hear the flying header is currently on the Red List of endangered species. Some even claim it is already extinct.

I remember Cliff scored a diving header against Villa in the cup,it was from about 15 yards and went like a rocket, I use to have a picture of it but got lost in a move.

Back