• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I can see that.

I just find, regardless of position, he often reminds me of Lampard.

Physically he is more Gerrard, the same frame and legs. Also has Gerrards little brick gene as well.

Technically he is superior to both, much more skillful.

But, in general, in the movement he has, in the job he does, both noticed and un noticed - Lampard is always the one that comes to mind.
He is most like Lampard,just a more athletic version....

He should believe the hype. Look at the players he is being compared with, they were all works class

The issue that I have is two fold

Spurs fans not backing a young player
British press building him up to knock him down

You just know the same supporters will be out next season if he has another 'poor' start - saying he needs to be sold.

You just know the same supporters will be out next season if he has another 'poor' start - saying he needs to be sold.

Exactly

If I was to stereotype spurs fans (and it’s stereotype) it would be instantly changeable and easily forgetful...

Say we have a mare at stoke and draw... the noise around that will be huge from my mates. No reference to what happened this weekend where a draw before the game would have been acceptable IMO.

It’s the same with players though. You can see it on here with the people saying rose has suddenly become an awful player. He made some stupid comments which are indefensible and also has had injury problems that have affected his ability to play. Doesn’t make him a worse player though (just possibly a worse person).., but fans have short memories and yet what long term success

500.jpg

I can see that.

I just find, regardless of position, he often reminds me of Lampard.

Physically he is more Gerrard, the same frame and legs. Also has Gerrards little brick gene as well.

Technically he is superior to both, much more skillful.

But, in general, in the movement he has, in the job he does, both noticed and un noticed - Lampard is always the one that comes to mind.

To me Dele is Jenas with drive (angry JJ?) go watch the games JJ played against the Scum and you will see Dele.

Lampard was an AM with a poacher's instinct that mastered late runs into box and typically just hit the ball hard and flat (looking for deflection), Dele has a lot more trickery and subtlety to his game, Dele also runs beyond Kane more often than either Lampard/Gerrard/others did.

Lampard played at the tip of a diamond mostly for Chelsea, didn't he? id say he's probably the most comparable player from that table but regardless i don't think the point of it was to compare the players like for like (Scholes for example on there is nothing like Gerrard who in turn wasn't really like Lampard) i think it was just a list showing him with the last 'golden' crop of English midfielders

To me Dele is Jenas with drive (angry JJ?) go watch the games JJ played against the Scum and you will see Dele.

Lampard was an AM with a poacher's instinct that mastered late runs into box and typically just hit the ball hard and flat (looking for deflection), Dele has a lot more trickery and subtlety to his game, Dele also runs beyond Kane more often than either Lampard/Gerrard/others did.

Angry JJ
A player with the talent but not the balls

He should believe the hype. Look at the players he is being compared with, they were all works class

The issue that I have is two fold

Spurs fans not backing a young player
British press building him up to knock him down

Nothing new it that though, they make a habit of doing just that. One of the best English players i have ever seen Bobby Moore was slagged off by the idiots in the press at time because of his style of play.

Angry JJ
A player with the talent but not the balls

This for me as well, he had great ability ( and at times he showed it) but for some reason he never did it often enough and i could only say it was down to mentality.

Dele plays a lot further forward than Gerrard or Lampard ever did, more like a second striker

Angry JJ, I like that :D

As I said, Dele has more skill for sure. Though I think you under rate Lampards contribution outside of goals. He was a vital cog in that team, did a lot of un noticed work - very much like Dele.

I used to think Lampard was just goals then watched a few Chelsea games and he was loads more, he was running their midfield at times. Like with Dele highlights and reputation makes it very easy to mislabel a player.

Here's some other stats to inject into the discussion, from this season: (I've injected Lampard in there too for rough comparison)

First the number of passes attempted per 90 minutes:

Harry Winks 74.8
Victor Wanyama 71.7
Mousa Dembélé 68.3
Christian Eriksen 62.5
Frank Lampard 55 (roughly, between 2009 and 2012)
Moussa Sissoko 54.4
Erik Lamela 53.7
Dele Alli 37.9
Son Heung-Min 36.6
Harry Kane 19.1

> Suggests that in possession Alli's more of a 'second striker' or very attacking midfielder, like Son.

And combined tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes:

Victor Wanyama 4.4
Mousa Dembélé 3.3
Erik Lamela 3.2
Harry Winks 3.0
Frank Lampard 3 (roughly, betweem 2009 and 2012)
Christian Eriksen 2.2
Moussa Sissoko 2.2
Dele Alli 2.1
Son Heung-Min 1.0
Harry Kane 0.8

> Suggests that defensively he's working harder and/or playing deeper than Son - more like other deeper attacking midfielders Eriksen and Sissoko

Back