1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Howard Webb, 8 Feb 2012.

1. braineclipse

braineclipse Jimmy Cantrell

I highlighted those players because I was responding to your comments about a spending spree and thought they were the players you were referencing.

Two points of observation:

-Not hiring a DoF during the stadium completion period.

-Spending a lot on players unproven in the PL.

Neither worked out as we wanted. Some agreed with those decisions at the time, some didn't.

We simply don't know to what extent those were Levy's decisions and to what extent that was Pochettino getting his way. Rumours at the time was that Pochettino wanted those specific players, we'll never know. Some reports that Pochettino didn't want a DoF (referenced earlier in the thread), we'll never actually know.

There's a very real possibility that Levy did what many of his critics want - delegate to the people with more knowledge about football. Give a successful manager more power. Despite that the blame is, by some, put on Levy for making those decisions. I think that's unfair.

The biggest footballing decisions Levy makes are appointments of managers (/head coaches) and directors of football (or similar). Like most he gets some wrong, he gets some right. I think his hit rate is good enough based on what can be realistically expected.

billyiddo, MKSpur, Bullet and 3 others like this.
  2. braineclipse

I agree completely.

I think the same logic should be applied to losing finals, and the benchmark for progress should rather be league positions and getting into later stages of cup competitions, qualifying for Europe.

Not because titles aren't important, but because there's a lot of random chance going into the results in individual games so it's not a great measure of how the club is doing.

There's a clear positive trend in terms of league positions during Levy's tenure. Despite Chelsea and City buying their way to the top or buying their way to staying at the top during that time.

We've come far enough that not getting CL fotball became a disappointment. I remember when getting EL/equivalent seemed like a distant dream. I remember season after season where we had little of note to even play for past February/March because we were just mid table.

Last season was a dumpster fire, we finished 7th. I remember when that was a good season. I remember when that was us just barely missing out on EL and that was disappointing because we came so close to getting where we wanted to be.

Last season was our worst league finish since 08/09. 12 years where 7th was our worst finish. The ten years preceding Levy 7th was as good as it got.

Good enough? I don't know. But certainly a lot of progress on the pitch. While at the same time completing a fantastic stadium.

3. braineclipse

Where we would have been had we not invested in infrastructure is interesting to speculate about, but impossible to know.

I fail to see many clubs improving consistently without improving their revenue and infrastructure. You essentially have to maintain CL football really consistently to do so, and as we know poor spells of results happen to everyone.

I agree with you. Maybe a cup or two, but a worse position right now to compete in the future seems the most likely.

4. DubSpur

DubSpur Jose Dominguez

That's not the question that was asked. You don't think Levy has been successful on the football side.
    If we'd won the Champions League (and one of two of the other finals and semis that we were in) would you consider him a success?

As for league form, our average position in the last 10 years has been our best average ever across a decade. So by your own measure of using the league as a guide, he has been a success.

MKSpur, Lilbaz and DTA like this.
  5. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Terry Fenwick

Our average league position for the 2010's is our best ever.
    We averaged 4.3 position.
    60s we averaged 5.1.

6. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Paul Walsh

Not sure too many Spurs fans would swap the 1960s for the 2010s mate!

The 1980s was an average position of 7.7 and I certainly wouldn't swap that decade either.

MKSpur likes this.
  7. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Terry Fenwick

No because we won cup finals. If we had won the finals we were in you might have swapped it.

Now is the blame of us losing in finals down to levy? On league position you'd have to say no. We've had the best team ever.

DTA likes this.
  8. Finney Is Back

As I've said before many times.... Cup finals come at the end of the season when the top teams boasting bigger squads of quality and therefore less fatigued players are likely to win. So, yes, the fact that we have tended to have a big drop off in quality between our first team and reserve players is a big factor.

Our chairman has also prioritised competing in the CL over winning trophies (there was even a story that Mourinho was sacked because he wanted to rest players against Southampton to give a bigger chance of winning the League Cup). I'm not saying that making this priority call is the wrong thing to do but Pochettino was on message with the chairman here and I think that also led to us not winning a trophy or two.

Bishop likes this.
  9. DubSpur

DubSpur Jose Dominguez

That argument would hold more water if we didn't lose on a number of occasions to teams with significantly worse squads than us in the later stages of the cups e.g. 2009 Fa Cup Semi against Portsmouth.

10. braineclipse

I fail to see the relevance to what was being discussed when those stats were being presented.

11. braineclipse

Perhaps on fatigue and quality in the full squad. I fail to see how that's on Levy.

The second point I don't know man. Speculation about rumours about what may be a sensible decision. I find it hard to see how that's on Levy.

12. Raziel

Raziel Les Ferdinand

I think it's worth a separate thread to dig through the 21+ QF/SF/Finals we have made and test that theory

Personally our two biggest brick the beds (when we lost PL to Leicester & CL Final) had nothing to do with squad depth.

I do remember perhaps Chelsea in one where they brought KYB & Aquero off the bench, but in 21+ it isn't purely a squad depth issue.

DTA likes this.
  13. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

Chelsea or city?
    You mean the Chelsea game where we played son left back? That was one where they left costa and hazard on the bench. We just bottled it

metalgear likes this.
  14. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Terry Fenwick

Totally agree levy prioritises the league/cl over the domestic cups.

He has his reasons. Cl worth £100m a year. Fa cup, £2m.

15. RunTMC

RunTMC Ben Thatcher

As usual you articulate your points very well.

But there’s something I’d like to better understand regarding Levy penny pinching. Hypothetically speaking, if Levy owned other very successful businesses and he took money out of them and invested heavily in Spurs would you still consider him cheap and penny pinching?

16. DubSpur

DubSpur Jose Dominguez

Sorry, as much as I love Poch, we didn't bottle it, Poch fudged up with his team selection and tactics.

metalgear likes this.
  17. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

Both IMO
    We were scared of the players the rested
    It’s exactly what we should have done in the CL final
    Kane on the bench giving them something to think about

Finney Is Back and metalgear like this.
  18. metalgear

metalgear Cecil Poynton

OK that clarifies our different assumptions.

To me Levy is responsible for management failings and if he did go the way of pochettinos wishes, then it was a risk he took knowing that Poch was equally inexperienced, and is still responsible for the outcome.

Just like I'd hold the ceo/owner of a business responsible should their key personnel fail to deliver and expect some scrutiny and action to prevent disruptive interventions (like overhauling the squad).

I guess some will say Levy is innocent if he does what poch wants.
    Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

19. Finney Is Back

Money, money, money….
    I’d rather the club had some more honours on the board.

Bishop likes this.
  20. Finney Is Back

Didn’t we have Winks and Sissoko as our midfield when losing the CL final?…. I’d say that says a lot about our (lack of) squad depth.

NoLimits01 likes this.