• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cryptocurrency

Would it really be a bad thing if cryptocurrency went bust? It’s pretty horrible for the environment given the amount of energy it uses per transaction. Not to mention it seems like a Ponzi scheme with no product behind it and no one really understands it.

Hell of a lot of the coins don't have anything behind them. But a few of them will work out.

Bitcoin has lost a third of it’s value against the Papuan New Guinea Kina since the new year.

Would it really be a bad thing if cryptocurrency went bust? It’s pretty horrible for the environment given the amount of energy it uses per transaction. Not to mention it seems like a Ponzi scheme with no product behind it and no one really understands it.

Only bitcoin and a few others have high energy costs, the rest use barely any energy to run. Bitcoin energy costs are just a convenient media narrative, a lot of the network is handled on renewable energy anyway. True some of that could be used elsewhere but a lot comes from surplus energy that would be wasted anyway.

Only bitcoin and a few others have high energy costs, the rest use barely any energy to run. Bitcoin energy costs are just a convenient media narrative, a lot of the network is handled on renewable energy anyway. True some of that could be used elsewhere but a lot comes from surplus energy that would be wasted anyway.
As the new Minister for Energy and Renewables, I'd like to point out a few inconvenient facts. Bitcoin uses more energy to 'stay alive' than all of Norway uses, and for no purpose other than keeping the Ponzi scheme running. A single bitcoin transaction uses 50 days worth of the average household electricity and chucks out nearly a tonne of CO2 as well. It is a criminal waste of energy no matter where it comes from. There are coal power plants reopening for the sole purpose of powering mining farms. This is fudging nuts. Also, surplus power is not a thing really.

When the market eventually bottoms, Bitcoin will still be here.
ETH will be here too, but ETH/BTC value will likely get trashed.
99.9% of the rest will just disappear or drift lower down the ranking like all those that have before.

every pump at the moment are bear market bounces, starting with the NASDAQ. Crypto is just a high Beta proxy for the trad markets, more now than ever.
Markets bpunced yesterday on a slightly lower CPI number versus the forecast. You only need to look at the Yield curves in the Bond market to see what a brick show will unfold. 10Y Yield - 2 Year Yield is as inverted now as it was in 2000 and subsequent dot com bubble. All the other leading economic indicators such as PMI and in particular new orders are signaling more pain down the road. Not to say there won;t be big bounces, there were 7 or so 20% bear market bounces after dot com crash before it bottomed. I'm happy to short every rip lol.

every pump at the moment are bear market bounces, starting with the NASDAQ. Crypto is just a high Beta proxy for the trad markets, more now than ever.
Markets bpunced yesterday on a slightly lower CPI number versus the forecast. You only need to look at the Yield curves in the Bond market to see what a brick show will unfold. 10Y Yield - 2 Year Yield is as inverted now as it was in 2000 and subsequent dot com bubble. All the other leading economic indicators such as PMI and in particular new orders are signaling more pain down the road. Not to say there won;t be big bounces, there were 7 or so 20% bear market bounces after dot com crash before it bottomed. I'm happy to short every rip lol.
Inverted yield curves... How reliable?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

What surplus energy?? There isn't any surplus energy. Quite the opposite. Shut down bitcoin, and energy prices would more than half.

What surplus energy?? There isn't any surplus energy. Quite the opposite. Shut down bitcoin, and energy prices would more than half.

Haha

I don't think you are aware of what is causing energy prices.

A lack of foresight on governments around the world and a psycho in Russia.

Haha

I don't think you are aware of what is causing energy prices.

A lack of foresight on governments around the world and a psycho in Russia.
I'm more aware of it than you could imagine. It's Lack of availability, end of. What's caused it is irrelevant. There is a bitcoin mining company in my town with 10 employees, and it uses the same amount of power as the steel factory 500 meters away, that employ 1100 people. Let that sink in.

I'm more aware of it than you could imagine. It's Lack of availability, end of. What's caused it is irrelevant. There is a bitcoin mining company in my town with 10 employees, and it uses the same amount of power as the steel factory 500 meters away, that employ 1100 people. Let that sink in.

Exactly this, its disproportionate energy use that we could do without, regardless of politics and war.

That and its the biggest con going does not help

…very reliable and are still a massive leading indicator. 2Y prices in what they expect fed policy to do.
So much more QT to happen, more hikes as the CPI print showed today and consequently equities got clipped as did Crypto. Real pain hasn’t started yet imo.They’ll still be Bear market bounces with shorts getting covered but we’re in a bear market and there’s no fed pivot coming yet.

you’re right mate and they avoided a recession in 2019 by printing and giving out stimulus checks and same again with Covid crash in March/April 2020.Trouble is they didn’t start to curb inflation until way to late, so now Powell has stated he’s out to get inflation down so his levers are gone and QT already started along with the int rate hikes.

The steel company needs to modernise, sounds unproductive.

Back