• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

London data is showing the link between cases and hospitalisation isn't being re-established

FHEG9WCWYAcdtO3

London data is showing the link between cases and hospitalisation isn't being re-established

FHEG9WCWYAcdtO3

It doesn't. It shows true hospitalisations Vs an irrelevant measure - Nov20-Mar21. That is a different variant, so is comparing different characteristics. It's not a suitable comparison.

It is certainly promising that actual hospital admissions are currently low and stable.
However the risk is a high volume, short time period spike - "condensed admissions" if you will.

I'd be interested to see when that is predicted in the modelling. But as Chris Whitty said yesterday, there isn't current enough data to draw full conclusions.

Don't take your stats from the media.
The lockdown Is to stop a large number of hospitalisations in a very condensed period.
If you, and anyone else, genuinely wants to understand it - watch the Omicron select committee from yesterday with Chris Whitty. It explains all you need to know.
It'll be on parliament TV. It was on appx 6.30pm I think.

Just to add, lockdown also due absence in the health care because of increased spread of omicron. If all your staff are off sick and isolating, then Healthcare, Police, Fire, critical infrastructure is at risk.

Just to add, lockdown also due absence in the health care because of increased spread of omicron. If all your staff are off sick and isolating, then Healthcare, Police, Fire, critical infrastructure is at risk.

That’ll be the factor which is going to hit hard in January. It’s going to have a huge impact in education too, with teachers and support staff off. There will be schools unable to open - so expect some changes to plans for GCSEs and A Levels to run largely as normal.

We’re perhaps now in the realms of the kind of flu pandemic which has been war-gamed a couple of times over the last decade (although recommendations thrown up by this were unfortunately ignored).

If it's conclusively mild, and wiping out Delta too, then surely you just stop all isolating and also stop all testing except for severe cases (where a diagnosis can inform treatment choices)?

Looks like they will cut the isolation period from 10 to 7 days to help with that.

Looks like they will cut the isolation period from 10 to 7 days to help with that.

That would be a welcome change. I’m finally out of self isolation this morning having tested positive on December 10th. That’s eleven full days I’ve been stuck in for. The day I tested plus 10 full days.

If it's conclusively mild, and wiping out Delta too, then surely you just stop all isolating and also stop all testing except for severe cases (where a diagnosis can inform treatment choices)?

Haven't seen any studies saying it's milder. The only study close to that states that Omicron does not replicate in the Lungs as well as previous strains which is positive, however, no assessment that severe damage of the bronchus could eventually lead to pneumonia or other impact. And i think that study was on lung tissue samples as opposed to real world settings in hospitals.

We are still soooo early into Omicron, it won't be until the first couple of weeks of January where we have concrete data to rely on. Again i hope that's it's good news, but Omicron really poses a different threat away from just hospitilisation, as mentioned above, if hospitals, schools, police, Tesco, delivery drivers etc all have massive staff absence in a very short space of time, we'll be in massive trouble. Look what happened when BP fell short of Petrol, last thing we need is another run of panic buying and old biddies not being able to get food.

What we found at work is that in some cases it worked in our favour as we have had half with Covid over the last month and with testing and stringent safety the other half have been safe, now the other half are coming back with 90 day exemptions so we are actually in a stronger situation, my luck and party by design.

That would be a welcome change. I’m finally out of self isolation this morning having tested positive on December 10th. That’s eleven full days I’ve been stuck in for. The day I tested plus 10 full days.
My 10 days was from when I first started feeling crap which was a Tuesday, I had a confirming PCR on Thursday

Haven't seen any studies saying it's milder. The only study close to that states that Omicron does not replicate in the Lungs as well as previous strains which is positive, however, no assessment that severe damage of the bronchus could eventually lead to pneumonia or other impact. And i think that study was on lung tissue samples as opposed to real world settings in hospitals.

We are still soooo early into Omicron, it won't be until the first couple of weeks of January where we have concrete data to rely on. Again i hope that's it's good news, but Omicron really poses a different threat away from just hospitilisation, as mentioned above, if hospitals, schools, police, Tesco, delivery drivers etc all have massive staff absence in a very short space of time, we'll be in massive trouble. Look what happened when BP fell short of Petrol, last thing we need is another run of panic buying and old biddies not being able to get food.

There's this second one about not effecting lungs too: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.17.473248v1

I think some people would change their behaviour if cases (and predicted transmissibility) was high BUT the biggest behaviour changing factor at the moment is timing, a large majority of people don't want the inconvenience and disruption to their festive holidays. It's a time they have a break from work and also the coming together of generations of families. It's safe to say Boris won't be bringing in restrictions about meeting people indoors (for Xmas) BUT a positive test will scupper your plans and people want to protect themselves from that jeopardy.
People had to tow the line last year but want this year to be as 'normal' an experience as possible.

Last edited:
I think some people would change their behaviour if cases (and predicted transmissibility) was high BUT the biggest behaviour changing factor at the moment is timing, a large majority of people don't want the inconvenience and disruption to their festive holidays. It's a time they have a break from work and also the coming together of generations of families. It's safe to say Boris won't be bringing in restrictions about meeting people indoors BUT a positive test will scupper your plans and people want to protect themselves from that jeopardy.
People had to tow the line last year but want this year to be as 'normal' an experience as possible.

Absolutely. But isn't it a bit early to start seeing that in the data? People first started getting nervous about omicron about 8 days ago now, so things we are seeing now were probably already baked in by then (with 5 days incubation etc)?

Back