1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by markysimmo, 27 Feb 2020.

1. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 John Lacy

Work from home unless you can't was the rule. Im sure there were some social distanced tasks you could complete to keep things moving. I would see road and rail maintenence as essential work others might not

2. Legohamster

Legohamster Frederic Kanoute

work from home unless you can’t was the rule?

I would also have them as essential workers.

3. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

There was a major roadworks project near me that sat totally dormant through lockdown. I remember thinking that strange at the time. Surely it was a great opportunity to press on with things like that, where they could be done relatively safely?

4. MKSpur

MKSpur Vedran Corluka

I can only see a lot of companies operating a policy of people coming in one or two days a week, perhaps within teams to encourage face to face meetings. I live 20 mins from Canary Wharf, so if I’m not made to come back full time there’s little point in me paying the premium to live here without a regular commute. So I think we’ll see less people in the office, maybe more personal expenditure on the days people are in as they may ‘treat themselves’ but probably still less than they’d usually spend over 5 days. I can think of a sandwich chain that didn’t even bother opening at the weekend in CW, but if people are doing 40-60% max of their time in the office than the rents would
    Have to come down accordingly to make these type of business’s viable.
    I honestly can’t think of a scenario where companies like mine (massive bank) will insist on people coming back full time, the only way around it would be the if a tax was applied to homeworkers, perhaps per day spent at home or a paycut offered as part of a wfh contract and even then I’d say people with families / long commutes will take the sacrifice for the time and work life balance benefits.

Grays_1890 likes this.
  5. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Mido

6. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Mido

This is under reported frustratingly for me. It's a key point. It shouldn't make people lax as we do not know what long term impact of having this virus is for younger folk. However it is encouraging

SteveAWOL likes this.
  7. Legohamster

It’s not bad news

I’ve just switched on the news this morning and they are camped out side the factory in Northampton and they asked 3/4 people that work there do they feel safe, they all said yes and explained the set up.

you could tell from the reporters reaction that’s not the answer they wanted.

LutonSpurs likes this.
  8. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

Get your arses back from France and Holland or it's two weeks indoors.

And that includes you lot stoned out your box in your Amsterdam cafes:D

9. Legohamster

It’s quite interesting to see some of the right turning in the gov and the decisions now.

10. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Milija Aleksic

In before @parklane1 with ‘tacos on Twitter, who’d have thought’

LutonSpurs and ricky2tricky4city like this.
  11. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Steve Carr

And it involves stats. :D

scaramanga and AuroRaman like this.
  12. Trixster

Trixster Nico Claesen

Even just getting a connecting flight from an exempt country is fOOked by this :/

13. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

Thank GHod more folks are starting to see that is true, shame some are slow at accepting it.

14. Legohamster

sooner they ban Facebook and Twitter the better.

fake news and scaremongering

also seems gov policy is written on the back of twitter trends

parklane1 and Grays_1890 like this.
  15. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

Amen to that, it worries /concerns me that there are a lot of folks who use the likes of Facebook T w a tt er as the way to think/believe. You would hope that the human race is not that thick but sadly it shows it is in a lot of cases.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  16. Legohamster

I binned Facebook 2/3 years ago, people sharing brick and then getting offended when you call them out on it.

Twitter is still a useful tool for news stories you may miss, but if it went I wouldn’t be too bothered

Full of idiots looking at headlines “cases rise” And crying for second lockdown without Looking into it.

17. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Mido

It's both ways. There's people refusing to wear masks as they believe the virus is made up. All from Facebook. On the other end you have people who haven't left their homes for 4 months as they are convinced if they got out they will die and kill all of mankind. Again based on their echo chamber.

18. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

It's such a potent tool for reaffirmations and conformation bias that polarisation happens at an alarming rate due to sides/groups forming that will think what they think and refuse to budge an inch.

And of course then the ugliness starts

LutonSpurs likes this.
  19. Legohamster

yep. I agree.

I’m anti lockdown, but if masks help getting people getting back - great.

20. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Mido

For me the mask issue is about conforming to allow consensus to build. Even if you fundamentally disagree with them but it can help keep the economy alive and is recommended by experts then just wear one.

At the same time if experts are saying reopening schools is essential to society and the economy being kick started and you want to keep your kids at home, then again I think you should conform or become permanent home schoolers.