• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Connor Wickham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade Money

Steffen Freund
Not going to sign a new contract after current one expires after this season apparently. Seemed to come of age at the end of last season. West Ham had £5m offer to buy turned down, but could we offer £5m and loan back to Sunderland - they keep the player for a year but don't end up empty handed?

He looked a player at the end of last season, put him in a decent team and he would do really well, id say get him in for £5m

Who would Wickham replace though? Im sure the majority would say Soldado, but Id say Ade is the most like for like with Wickham....

But isn't Wickham a No.9 and Kane a No.10?

yes.......could be a future England strikeforce. Problem is iirc Wickham is on stupidly massive wages at Sunderland, something like 70k a week Wherever he goes i dont see him taking a pay cut

I like him and I think we could do a deal and then loan him somewhere he showed enough promise at the end of last season to suggest he has something.

I remember watching him as a 17 year old playing for Ipswich when they beat Arsenal in the Carling Cup semi and thinking he looked hugely promising, IIRC we were linked with signing him before he went to Sunderland. He disappeared completely under the radar for about 3 years (something like one goal in his first 30 Premiership games!), a load of loans. Looks like he's going nowhere. We played Sunderland right near the end of the season, and even though we were all over the place at the time we spanked them 5-1 and they looked dead certs to go down, rooted to the bottom of the league. All of a sudden in he comes, scores two at the Etihad to win a point, scores in a win at Stamford Bridge, scores twice in a win over Cardiff and sets up the winner at Old Trafford and somehow Sunderland are still in the Premier League.

There's definitely potential there. He's been around for ages but only turned 21 in March. At his age Drogba was struggling to make any sort of impact at Le Mans. Van Persie was a bratty little kid that Feyenoord couldn't wait to give away. Adebayor was a random £3m young player than Wenger signed and was nicknamed Panicbayor and Adebarndoor for his first two seasons. And Liverpool's new superstar Rickie Lambert spent a few years playing in League Two when he was even older than Wickham. Ideally I'd like to wait and see what happens with one more season of first team football under his belt at a club like Sunderland, but there's no way we'll ever get him for £5m again. If he sustained the sort of form he showed in the final month of the season over any consistent period of time, he'd be a huge asset to anyone.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/connor-wickham-has-gone.884565/

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/lets-cut-our-losses-with-connor-wickham.949135/

Interesting viewpoints from them here - some seem to rate him as having big potential and some think he's ****. Kinda sounds like our forum with Townsend.

I'd be up for gambling on this one for only £5m. I see a lot more potential in him than Kane.

I'd completely forgotten about that **** game SUIYHA

didn't he disappear due to a broken leg or similar?

I'd completely forgotten about that **** game SUIYHA

didn't he disappear due to a broken leg or similar?

He had a knee injury early on at Sunderland but he disappeared because they changed manager and Martin O'Neill didn't like him and sent him out on loan.

At the time he left ipswich a lot of my mates (Ipswich fans) were saying he'd go on to big things and was sold for the record fee paid by a PL side to a championship team. He does have bags of talent and it seems that the right manager can get him producing, for £5m it's a gamble I'd take.

I'd much prefer keeping Kane, who I think is more technically adept and more intelligent (football-wise) than Wickham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back