• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Burning a man alive WTF

I agree with you on this point, almost entirely. However, it doesn't make undue criticism of one particular religion (as opposed to the emerging disdain for all religions) any more morally or practically palatable.

Returning to Islam and its deletrious effects on the idea of Western civilization, again, I can only direct you to my initial statement in the thread: think geopolitically. In my view, religions are tools in a nation's arsenal, tools it uses to further its political interests. Now, from that point of view, Islam ceases to be the driving factor behind its own apparent discord with the 'West', and becomes a tool used by nations for whom a more Islamic world or a West bogged down in an unwinnable conflict with an entire Abrahamic religion is geostrategically appealing. Islam as a political alternative to the current idea of the nation-state is a weak alternative indeed, given that its nebulous idea of a pan-Islamic caliphate isn't clearly expanded on in the Quran, and that its ideals of Islamic equality between peoples appear clearly to be pie-in-the-sky thinking to even devout Muslims given the racial, wealth-driven and ethnic divides that exist between, say, Arab Muslims and Pakistani/South Asian Muslims. An Ethiopian Muslim is not any less likely to be a member of the underclass in Saudi Arabia or the Gulf states (or even in the supposedly ‘pure’ Islamic State) just because he too is a Muslim - it is still his wealth, talent and (to a lesser degree, but still) his race that determines his standing in those societies.

Beyond this, Islam as a whole is also very decentralized: the same factor that enabled its spread across Africa and Asia even when Arab and Persian armies had ceased their conquests (and the same factor that made it so liable to be introduced into a society via traders and merchants) is also the same factor that has prevented and will prevent a unified voice of Islam that emerges as an alternative to the ideals of Western civilization. Even ignoring the Sunni-Shia divide (which occurred in its early days), Islam has seen countless sects (Sufis, Ahmadis, Druze) and has often proved utterly unable to contain them within its overall narrative without the use of violence or force: hardly the example of a unified political religion out to challenge the idea of the West.

So, Islam as a whole isn't an existential threat (or even much of a long-term threat, given the trend of fully integrated second and third generation Muslims becoming increasingly Westernized over time). But it is being used by certain geopolitical entities (Saudi Arabia, leader of the Sunni world: Iran, leader of the Shia world, the Gulf states ,eager to preserve their own monarchies and turn Islamism elsewhere, Russia, eager to tie Western Europe and the US down in the Middle East) to very effectively bait the West and force it into a confrontation it cannot win.

In that regard, is the geopolitical tool of Islam a threat to the 'West'? Only via its usage by interested nation-states to fuel their own geopolitical ambitions. In that regard, any religion could have been used to push this angle of attack if it had been sufficiently useful to the geopolitical foes of the Western Europe/US combine.

A religion is fairly inert politically, in my view: save for its initial spread by charismatic prophets and leaders, any religion generally becomes subsumed within the larger (and far more long-lasting) strategic interests of the states in which it is most prominent. Islam is no different in this regard, and a phobia of that individual religion (which is no more barbaric than, say, Christianity when it comes down to its base components as prescribed by its holy book) as a threat larger than the other religions out there is counter-productive and unfair, for the reasons detailed earlier.

And, as an aside, I don't think Islam's problems when it comes to its compatibility with modern Western civilization (and I agree, it has a lot of problems) are unique at all. I've already detailed how I don't view Islam as a threat to the West, in as much as I view the states behind the spread of militant Islamism as a threat: however, that is only talking about concrete Western states (simplified as the 'West', because they usually act in tandem). However, I'm also thinking on a broader logical base about the ideals of Western civilization, the more fundamental tenets which define the commonality experienced by 'Western' states and broader 'modern' states in the contemporary world. These ideals: the equality of all men and women, the right to pursue happiness, government by consent, a relatively free exchange of ideas across mediums, a clearly independent judiciary, legislature and executive, legal protections to all people from unlawful harassment, affray or seizure of property, the right to a fair trial, innocent until proven guilty......these are the ideals that have shaped the modern world by the force of their attractiveness to all the members of the human race. And I think these ideals are under assault by other religions just as much as they are by Islam.

The right of gay people to live with dignity is one of the basest rights I expect a state based on the ideals of Western civilization to have. Okay, expecting them to legalize overt homosexuality or same-sex civil partnerships is unrealistic: they're difficult concepts to understand and empathize with for a multitude of reasons, and it's natural that some states take more time to achieve those reforms than others. However, at the very least, a man or woman found to be gay should be afforded the same legal protections from unlawful harassment, affray or seizure of property, at the very least.

This particular tenet of Western civilization is under massive assault in places ranging from Africa to India, spurred on by waves of fundamentalists converting hordes of uneducated people and then implementing draconian views on this matter straight from their holy book. Which fundamentalists? Evangelical Christians, funded by organizations in the American Mid-West to 'bring the natives to the light'. Which book? The Holy Bible. The results? The government-sanctioned necklacings of gay people in Uganda, anti-homosexual hate crimes and resultant police inaction on these crimes rising in African countries from Nigeria to Kenya, the passing of an Anti-Homosexuality Act in Kampala in 2014 that sentenced discovered gays to life in prison, rising anti-homosexual conservatism in the hitherto liberal areas of South India (also a target for missionaries from the United States and the UK)....

The same observation can be made with the tenet of relatively free speech across mediums: Hindus in India (despite even the somewhat openly pro-Hindu BJP government discouraging such actions) have long been calling for books and films insulting their religious sentiments to be banned by law, but that activity has taken a new upward spike this past year, with burnings of cinemas and books critical of Hinduism becoming increasingly common across the country, the government itself taking legal action against even facebook posts deemed to be 'offensive' to religious sentiments, and Hindu groups discouraging 'Western' practices and norms that are critical of or contradict ostensibly 'traditional' Indian values.

I could go on: the right to equality under the law, the right to a fair trial, the presumption of innocent until proven guilty - all of them have been attacked in countries that have implemented them by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists and Muslims alike. These are all assaults on the idea of Western civilization itself. Yet, Islam, an admittedly deeply-flawed religion, is put on a pedal stool and given the status of an 'eminent threat' to the ideas of Western civilization (forged as they were in the heat of a scientific enlightenment and a rejection of tradition and religion-inspired retardation of progress) while these other attacks on the same ideals go unnoticed because they happen in continents and countries that aren't geopolitical concerns of the West at the present moment: Western civilization is all-encompassing, yet we seem to focus on one religion while forgiving others even as they tear down the tenets of said civilization in countries just beyond the floodlight-lit horizon.

Look, either way, blaming just Islam is wrong. It isn't a bigger threat than other religions, it just has backers whose primary geopolitical goals are in opposition to those of the West, and another religion put in the same place would be used the same way. Similarly, it isn't the only religion which is currently at odds with the idea of 'Western civilization': nearly every modern religion is in some form or another (and often many forms at once).

Religion is bunkum, and I'll stick to what I said earlier - oppose them all, or oppose none. It isn't logical to pick on Islam, which is ultimately what Islamophobia is, no? (not suggesting in any way that you do, of course).

And I agree with you, in the end - one day, I hope everyone just laughs at these stories of holy ghosts, holy men, holy spirits and holy rocks, while impartially and unemotionally assimilating the good that religions do have. But I don't think it will happen: the vast majority of us will never go on to become world-changing inventors, scientists, leaders or thinkers, and so we won't be able to assure ourselves that we mattered or made a difference when facing the grim inevitability of death - religion fills that gap, and gives us comfort and succour with its insistence on the presence of a higher being that has a plan that includes all of us, in some form or another.

That comfort is an invaluable thing to have, so I don't see religions going away any time soon. And honestly, that's sort of how I'd like them there - defanged, an object of public disdain and politically powerless.... but still present to provide comfort and solace to those that need them.

Answer below Sir!

OK, here's an example:

There's a madman, let's call him Muhammed, who is about to lob a grenade into a busy school playground - pin's out, arm back, about to launch. You are too far away to physically stop him, but you do have a gun and you're a pretty good shot. You're confident that you can shoot Muhammed and stop him before he throws the grenade. Unfortunately, there's a few people stood next to him with no idea what's going on - shooting Muhammed will almost certainly kill them.

Muhammed used to play cricket for Pakistan so he's unlikely to miss his throw.

I would shoot him. Harming children is a trip-wire for me where all my prior liberalism goes flying out of the window and those who harm children should be hunted down and killed. I am happy to be called 'hypocrite' or whatever, frankly I cannot change who I am for an internet message board (!!!) so if this answer puts me in some lovely little 'hypocrite' category, then so be it, I will survive (somehow ;))...of course, that's as I sit here. Whether I could actually pull it off, faced with the moment, is another question entirely. And a relevant one.

It's a logical extension of the problem though. Especially when in response to the fact that it is never the right decision to kill that many civilians. Surely it's logical to test that statement at the extreme?

I'd have to check back, I just copied in what THEY had written I thought? Let me re-check.

Sorry mate, but as braineclipse has already stated the exercise has those parameters for a reason. It's a massive cop out just changing the parameters on a thought exercise. Otherwise we could start coming up with after-the-event knowledge like the fat man being a rapist or something.

Here's the bottom-line for me; almost everyone here would like to think they'd shoot Muhammad or throw the Fatman off the bridge, but few of us are capable of making that split-second judgement/action because few of us are able to work like that; we don't kill people. We haven't. We don't know what it's like and we don't want the responsibility. I include myself, not for how I feel now (cool, calm, collected and ready to mete out justice!) but for the reality which would 'be'... So my humble bet is that just about EVERYONE here would be left thinking "I could've, I wish I had' but hardly anyone would've been able to do it. Morality, philosophy, all of it be damned! It would be a moment; and most of us are not wired for that moment. That's the main thing to note here, and I think to not think about THAT in a thought exercise could be considered a massive cop-out. Because it is precisely this 'grey area' between principle, situation and action which extremists on all sides of all types exploit. While we debate they 'do' ..so, having said that...

Look, I enjoy these conundrum issues but the truth is, they bear little resemblance to REALITY. If everything was so clear, then we'd have no issues because 'morality' would be pre-destined regardless of the circumstances. We would all be Spock (the Leonard Nimoy one, not these new tacots!) I guarantee you that context in ALL of these situations would change EVERYONE'S answers. And THAT would be interesting. Who is prepared to stand up and say they would kill someone based on what contexts and circumstances? What if the Fatman was your Uncle? What if the people around 'Muhammad' were people you hated? What if they were people you were friends with? What if five of the children about to be blown-up in that schoolyard were GUARANTEED to become suicide bombers? Let's throw THOSE questions out there and see what comes back. And whilst I know that doesn't embrace the 'present versus hindsight' perspective of these games, I believe it's the one that really counts in the end.

I agree with Dubai...in short, let's look at this point specifically...

<<Look, either way, blaming just Islam is wrong. It isn't a bigger threat than other religions, it just has backers whose primary geopolitical goals are in opposition to those of the West, and another religion put in the same place would be used the same way. Similarly, it isn't the only religion which is currently at odds with the idea of 'Western civilization': nearly every modern religion is in some form or another (and often many forms at once).>>

Where I would refine the above personally is to say that it is my PERSONAL belief that ISIS are not faith-based and have simply found the current most disenfranchised community on which to attach and feed.

@steff - ISIS are adherents to the religion, though. I agree with the gist of what you say (one of the largest problems modern Islam faces is malcontents who lack a sensense of dignity and self-worth, and thus act out their hero fantasies with their imagined 'brothers' while deriving legitimacy for said actions from the teachings of their religion, and I'm sure they would have gone down this road one way or another eventually)...but detaching ISIS from Islam is going too far to the other side, imo.

Islam is unfairly victimized, but it does bear some responsibility for the actions of groups like ISIS that it cannot escape: and I'm sure that the likes of ISIS gain at the very least self-worth and legitimacy from their faith, so I'd tend towards calling their actions faith based. Are they a bunch of brigands, sadists, paedophiles, rapists and murderers? Yes, they are, and they would find a way to fulfill these desires regardless. But the fact remains that they gain legitimacy from Islam, and oversee the implementation of Islamic laws and penalties as per the Quran (mostly, although their sadism sometimes contradicts even those laws - the Quran, for instance, explicitly prohibits the use of fire on a human being as a means of punishment or execution, a command apparently selectively ignored by ISIS). The battle to pull the de-centralized, hugely diverse religion of Islam into the modern age is a bit of an unfair one given the length of time Christianity took to reach a similar level and the wealth and education disparities between the Christian and Muslim worlds, but the fact remains that it is a battle that has to be fought given that the modern world simply cannot wait for religions to develop on their own anymore - and one of the better ways of fighting it is to acknowledge that yes, Islam does have some facets derived from the desperate circumstances of its birth that are conducive to the rise of groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda.

@steff - ISIS are adherents to the religion, though. I agree with the gist of what you say (one of the largest problems modern Islam faces is malcontents who lack a sensense of dignity and self-worth, and thus act out their hero fantasies with their imagined 'brothers' while deriving legitimacy for said actions from the teachings of their religion, and I'm sure they would have gone down this road one way or another eventually)...but detaching ISIS from Islam is going too far to the other side, imo.

Islam is unfairly victimized, but it does bear some responsibility for the actions of groups like ISIS that it cannot escape: and I'm sure that the likes of ISIS gain at the very least self-worth and legitimacy from their faith, so I'd tend towards calling their actions faith based. Are they a bunch of brigands, sadists, paedophiles, rapists and murderers? Yes, they are, and they would find a way to fulfill these desires regardless. But the fact remains that they gain legitimacy from Islam, and oversee the implementation of Islamic laws and penalties as per the Quran (mostly, although their sadism sometimes contradicts even those laws - the Quran, for instance, explicitly prohibits the use of fire on a human being as a means of punishment or execution, a command apparently selectively ignored by ISIS). The battle to pull the de-centralized, hugely diverse religion of Islam into the modern age is a bit of an unfair one given the length of time Christianity took to reach a similar level and the wealth and education disparities between the Christian and Muslim worlds, but the fact remains that it is a battle that has to be fought given that the modern world simply cannot wait for religions to develop on their own anymore - and one of the better ways of fighting it is to acknowledge that yes, Islam does have some facets derived from the desperate circumstances of its birth that are conducive to the rise of groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda.

if I take an objective step back, I would have to sadly agree you are absolutely right. I think I have been of the mind-set that we must do all we can not to alienate the millions of decent Muslims who are tarred with the brush of these extremist lunatics, but sadly (and after MUCH thought and reading on the subject, culminating with a brilliant piece in The Atlantic magazine) I concur. I suppose it is clear that they have chosen to interpret the Quran in it's darkest, most violent sense (one which is obviously NOT how the majority of Muslims remotely think as evidenced by how many Muslim factions are being butchered by ISIS for various reasons) and to deny this is to be too 'correct' in a dangerous sense.

So yes, hands in the air, I think you are absolutely right in what you say. Sadly.

if I take an objective step back, I would have to sadly agree you are absolutely right. I think I have been of the mind-set that we must do all we can not to alienate the millions of decent Muslims who are tarred with the brush of these extremist lunatics, but sadly (and after MUCH thought and reading on the subject, culminating with a brilliant piece in The Atlantic magazine) I concur. I suppose it is clear that they have chosen to interpret the Quran in it's darkest, most violent sense (one which is obviously NOT how the majority of Muslims remotely think as evidenced by how many Muslim factions are being butchered by ISIS for various reasons) and to deny this is to be too 'correct' in a dangerous sense.

So yes, hands in the air, I think you are absolutely right in what you say. Sadly.

Groups like ISIS are very literal in their understanding of the Quran. What they have complete disregard for is jurispudence. They will take an ambiguous text and interpet it to mean what they believe it says. The key is that the book itself is not a law manual persay. The texts are used to derive law by legal experts who us sound principles to derive these laws. These principles include ration, reason, allegory etc.. and the raw text. Language is another barrier, Arabic is a rich language and each word can have many meanings, many of these ISIS guys have not even got a solid grasp of the language.

Moderate muslims, like myself, are struggling due to the general understanding that the religion is in its essence barbaric. I really believe it is not. I think I personally am an example of why this isn't true as are the majority of muslims I know. The fact that these belief sets are niche and cult-like even within Islam says a lot for me. We reject them. Not because we need to appease anyone but because we dislike the distortion of our belief set.

I really do not think some people (most do) will give us a chance though. Shame.

Okay, well, there's a 9,948 character message incoming, braine: suffice it to say, you brought this upon yourself. :) Anyway, the highlighted point is where the beginning of my reply starts up: I couldn't actually fit a quote of your post into the actual reply. So, read on....

Not sure if bringing it upon myself makes it better or worse ;)

To be serious, I agree with much of what you (as is usually the case).

You make a lot of points in your post, I'm not entirely sure it's feasible to cover them all point by point. Not sure the forum would handle the post lengths, and I'm not sure I have the time. So I've attempted to look at a few points I think are key. If you feel I've dodged an important point or question by doing so please feel free to point those out to me once more :)

1. Religions as a tool

I disagree that religions are just a tool. I think it's also a source for conflict, hate and war. Would the current situation in Israel and Palestine really be as bad if not for the ancient holy books and their content? Would it be as locked. I really don't think so.

If I accept, for the sake of argument, that religions are just a tool how do you compare religions as tools to other ideologies. Could one say that equally ideologies like communism, fascism, stalinism and so on (you'll notice I just about managed not to Godwin myself) are "just tools"? They have been used in very similar ways to religion as tools, I think you must agree. But is there a clear separation in your mind between these ideologies and religions that make religions "just tools" whereas the same can not be said about political ideologies?

I also disagree that religions are just tools in the arsenals of nations. Would you describe the revolution (used reluctantly as a term) in Iran as a nation using one of the tools in it's arsenal? It seems to me that religion was very much a key part in what changed that nation rather fundamentally until it perhaps no longer really can be seen as the same nation. Religions, it seems to me, at least influence how nations form and shape and how they act geopolitically.

2. The wrongdoings of religions other than Islam

You will find very little argument from me. The actions of American Christians in developing countries in questions like homosexuality is despicable. The problem is that as despicable as it is it's also to an extent internally consistent with their worldview. This is part of my dislike of religions in general. I don't think you will find many groups of people who agree more with you than the "atheist communities" (for lack of a better term). And I think you'll have to search long and far for more consistency on such issues than that provided by the atheist intellectuals like Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Dennet just to mention the "big 4". As an example Hitchens was ruthless against Mother Theresa, and rightly so in my mind.

3. Islam being singled out

You might be right that there is a media bias that is unfair. I'm certain there are racists, nationalists, xenophobes and bigots in the general population who revel in the fact that it's "the Muslims" that are targeted. In the hours following the Norwegian terror attacks a couple of years back the reactions on social media when some people at first assumed this was Islamist terrorism were as shocking as they were a stain on our all in all decent-ish society. Just as a quick example.

I do however continue to disagree that Islam isn't a greater threat at this time and I really struggle to see how you've argued convincingly against it in your post. You give several good examples of other religions causing atrocities (or is that being used as a tool to cause atrocities?), but you spend very little time explaining how these pose an equivalent threat when compared to Islam. Perhaps I was being hyperbolic comparing a nuclear Iran to Myanmar, but I think the point still stands.

I'm assuming you're not saying that all religions currently pose an equal threat. Sam Harris likes the Jainist example, Hitchens frequently used the Quakers. The Amish get mentioned quite often. Although there's a latent threat in all these forms of irrationality, I really struggle to see how they're equivalent at this point in time. So, if you don't mind. As you're claiming that Islam doesn't deserve singling out, who does? If possible in a ranked order, of course some grouping is fine if you think there are equivalents. Is there a top 3 that are equivalent in your mind? Or a top 5? A top 2 with 3 close chasers?

If Islamophobia is "picking on Islam" (I'm as happy to use your definition as any other for a term that seems ill defined and misused more often than not), I disagree that it's illogical. Or at least you have a lot more work ahead of you to prove that it is. It seems to me that you must either argue for how all religions pose an equal threat, or you must argue for some "hierarchy of threat" (axis of evil might be the description others would perhaps have chosen ;) ) I fail to see how you've done either. If this is a false dichotomy and a misunderstanding on my part I apologize in advance.

4. Where we agree, at least to an extent

I agree that there is certainly illogical elements at least to opposing Islam whilst supporting Christianity, or the other way around. It's part of why I think the atheist position is the better position to take. But this is a different discussion.

Other than the use of the word "unemotionally" I agree with most of your last paragraphs. A lack of emotion is is not a goal at all for me.

I agree that religions defanged would be a huge step in the right direction. And I agree that religion does offer comfort, solace and perhaps even happiness and flourishing to many. It's part of why I only really discuss this with people that are "willing". I don't knock on doors to tell people about the wonderful news of atheism. I don't feel that I have the right to attempt (and fail) to take that comfort away from people without any request or provocation. No matter how factually correct I feel I am. I have similar ambiguous feelings if people are getting a placebo effect out of bunk alternative medicine.

However I think that comfort and solace is part of why religion must also be opposed and criticized. Because I think those are false promises, and I think that's dangerous. To return to my previous analogy communism offered hope, comfort, solace, belief to many people. When such hope is false it's a reason to oppose an ideology, not to leave it alone. No doubt change, if it happens, will be generational - as it's mostly been so far. No doubt one doesn't have to be a world-changing inventors, scientists, leaders or thinkers to find comfort and solace in something other than religion.

As a final question. I assume you agree that what's happened with Christianity in general over the last 100 years has been progress. (Of course not to say that the progress has been linear, unopposed or without considerable need for further progress still remaining). Do you think a similar progress has happened within Islam? What do you think would encourage a similar progress within Islam in the future?

Groups like ISIS are very literal in their understanding of the Quran. What they have complete disregard for is jurispudence. They will take an ambiguous text and interpet it to mean what they believe it says. The key is that the book itself is not a law manual persay. The texts are used to derive law by legal experts who us sound principles to derive these laws. These principles include ration, reason, allegory etc.. and the raw text. Language is another barrier, Arabic is a rich language and each word can have many meanings, many of these ISIS guys have not even got a solid grasp of the language.

Moderate muslims, like myself, are struggling due to the general understanding that the religion is in its essence barbaric. I really believe it is not. I think I personally am an example of why this isn't true as are the majority of muslims I know. The fact that these belief sets are niche and cult-like even within Islam says a lot for me. We reject them. Not because we need to appease anyone but because we dislike the distortion of our belief set.

I really do not think some people (most do) will give us a chance though. Shame.

In the highlit piece above, you have captured (in essence) exactly the point I have been striving to make with regards to ISIS versus the majority of Muslims. All religious texts are ambiguous IMV, and such, extremists can find the 'message' they 'need' according what they want. I think the single biggest issue is generalization, and unfortunately for the Muslim world, the words and actions of a few extremist lunatics are coming to slowly (and falsely I believe) define a faith. It is being hijacked from within.

He's most definitely right. To claim that people are not something they self-identify is rarely an easy and clear thing to claim. In this case I think it's just wrong.

I remember seeing some call-in show or debate once where someone claimed to be a Christian despite not really believing in any of the Jesus myths of resurrection, or perhaps even GHod himself. I thought it might be appropriate to call such a person a cultural Christian, but not a Christian in any religious sense. But if the person self-identifies as a religious Christian I'm not entirely sure. It at least has to be a discussion with the person, I can't from the outside make claims I think.

For ISIS it seems pretty clear that they're Islamic, or at least the majority of them.

And this is part of the reason why atheists like myself think that the religious moderates are part of the problem.

The very idea that law should be derived in any way from a (single) religious book is quite frankly ridiculous to me. Laws must be secular in nature, not least to protect the freedom of religion for various religious groups. The fact that ideas like faith, and laws from holy books are seen as good, sound principles of human functioning seems really damaging to me.

I truly believe that you're a good person, do not misunderstand me. (Nor take it as a huge compliment, I think it about most people ;) )

I find it very difficult to talk about "the religion in its essence". What it seems like to me is that part of the religion is believing that the holy books are just that - holy. Somehow written or inspired by something non-human and greater than us. That within them lies important truths that cannot be found elsewhere. Then parts of those books are barbaric. (Not in any way criticism aimed particularly at Islam). If we are to talk about a religion "in its essence", what is the essence of a religion?

Belief sets like those held by ISIS are rather niche and cult-like it would seem. But if we're talking about world wide how widespread is the belief that apostasy is a sin people should be punished for in this world amongst Muslims in your opinion? Genuine question, I've seen various estimates and guesstimates. But what's your opinion?

Would you describe the revolution (used reluctantly as a term) in Iran as a nation using one of the tools in it's arsenal? It seems to me that religion was very much a key part in what changed that nation rather fundamentally until it perhaps no longer really can be seen as the same nation. Religions, it seems to me, at least influence how nations form and shape and how they act geopolitically.

...just to address this very specific point...religion, in this case extremism, was IMO a safe place to go when all was taken and all was lost in the decades prior. Never forget what was done to Persia/Iran in the '50s/the destabilizing of Mossadegh and his eventual removal/exile by Kermit Roosevelt & co. And you cannot put a price on the inner-trauma cause by the US 'plant' the Shah. SAVAK, his corrupt ways, his reliance on the US for support for what HE wanted to do and his marginalization of the working class which one could argue culminated in the Black Friday of '78 where thousands of protesters were shot at, with many hurt and killed. All of this gave extremists/fundamentalists the leverage to overthrow his government (made easier by the fact the US buggered off and sided up with Hussein!). I would argue that it is, in fact, living conditions which first and foremost fuel all of this stuff. Poverty is like gasoline on dry twigs; it creates the conditions for an enormous fire to come raging through a place and wipe out all previous. You could argue that religion, or specifically extremism, is the fire, and poverty/oppression the gasoline. Iran stands as an example...

In the highlit piece above, you have captured (in essence) exactly the point I have been striving to make with regards to ISIS versus the majority of Muslims. All religious texts are ambiguous IMV, and such, extremists can find the 'message' they 'need' according what they want. I think the single biggest issue is generalization, and unfortunately for the Muslim world, the words and actions of a few extremist lunatics are coming to slowly (and falsely I believe) define a faith. It is being hijacked from within.

Do I understand you correctly if I say that you think Islam is being hijacked from within and as such is on a trajectory that's unfortunate both for members of that faith and others?

The messages live in the texts. To me religious moderates provide ground that is much too fertile for people of faith to be convinced that GHod is real and faith is good and then encouragement to read the books he allegedly inspired or wrote.

Not entirely sure on generalization. If we're talking about "Muslims being terrorists" and and immediate danger as my neighbor, fellow passenger on an airplane or something like that I think you're right. If you're talking about who is the group most likely to harm an innocent cartoonist or artist I think assuming the greater threat to come from Islam is fair. If we're talking about issues of religious freedom, apostasy, equal right and discrimination I'm not convinced one way or the other what the general views of Muslims in the world are. I do think there's a much too great proportion disagreeing with you, but this is also true of other faiths.

He's most definitely right. To claim that people are not something they self-identify is rarely an easy and clear thing to claim. In this case I think it's just wrong.

I remember seeing some call-in show or debate once where someone claimed to be a Christian despite not really believing in any of the Jesus myths of resurrection, or perhaps even GHod himself. I thought it might be appropriate to call such a person a cultural Christian, but not a Christian in any religious sense. But if the person self-identifies as a religious Christian I'm not entirely sure. It at least has to be a discussion with the person, I can't from the outside make claims I think.

For ISIS it seems pretty clear that they're Islamic, or at least the majority of them.

For the purpose of discussion only, and to illustrate the complexity of these issues, you have at once stated 'definite' fact followed by unclear and approximately measured conclusions.

These things are not clear mate, if they were, we'd all have it sorted by now. ISIS are claiming Islam as their base of faith, and I have been forced to agree that they most probably are motivated by an archaic interpretation of this faith...but equally, most of what they do goes against the basic interpretation of the Quran.

What we can agree with is that whatever their TRUE motivations, they are a filthy cancer in our world.

...just to address this very specific point...religion, in this case extremism, was IMO a safe place to go when all was taken and all was lost in the decades prior. Never forget what was done to Persia/Iran in the '50s/the destabilizing of Mossadegh and his eventual removal/exile by Kermit Roosevelt & co. And you cannot put a price on the inner-trauma cause by the US 'plant' the Shah. SAVAK, his corrupt ways, his reliance on the US for support for what HE wanted to do and his marginalization of the working class which one could argue culminated in the Black Friday of '78 where thousands of protesters were shot at, with many hurt and killed. All of this gave extremists/fundamentalists the leverage to overthrow his government (made easier by the fact the US buggered off and sided up with Hussein!). I would argue that it is, in fact, living conditions which first and foremost fuel all of this stuff. Poverty is like gasoline on dry twigs; it creates the conditions for an enormous fire to come raging through a place and wipe out all previous. You could argue that religion, or specifically extremism, is the fire, and poverty/oppression the gasoline. Iran stands as an example...

I do not disagree.

The international politics of the US during the cold war is a horrendous chapter, nay book.

My point was that I don't think religion was just a tool.

Do I understand you correctly if I say that you think Islam is being hijacked from within and as such is on a trajectory that's unfortunate both for members of that faith and others?

The messages live in the texts. To me religious moderates provide ground that is much too fertile for people of faith to be convinced that GHod is real and faith is good and then encouragement to read the books he allegedly inspired or wrote.

Not entirely sure on generalization. If we're talking about "Muslims being terrorists" and and immediate danger as my neighbor, fellow passenger on an airplane or something like that I think you're right. If you're talking about who is the group most likely to harm an innocent cartoonist or artist I think assuming the greater threat to come from Islam is fair. If we're talking about issues of religious freedom, apostasy, equal right and discrimination I'm not convinced one way or the other what the general views of Muslims in the world are. I do think there's a much too great proportion disagreeing with you, but this is also true of other faiths.

I am simply saying that I believe ISIS have hijacked the Muslim faith in so far as their 'extreme' interpretation is sadly getting a hell of a lot more attention than the Muslim faiths practiced by millions upon millions of peaceful, non-extremist Muslims.

As for the 'generalization' it is not mine!!!!!! I am merely pointing out that there are further millions of Daily Mail and Sun readers who hear a buzzphrase and run with it. That's where Islamophobia comes from. Now, if you were a conspiracy theorist, you might believe that ISIS is quite happy to see moderate Muslims tarred with the same brush, so as a few more 'converts' can be turned once said-people get tinkled off having to either explain, or physically defend, themselves all the time.

Right now, it's pretty hard to disagree with you simply because they're acting right now and getting all the attention. I still cling to my belief that the vast, vast majority of GENUINE Muslims do not want anything to do with THAT interpretation of their hold book mate.

For the purpose of discussion only, and to illustrate the complexity of these issues, you have at once stated 'definite' fact followed by unclear and approximately measured conclusions.

These things are not clear mate, if they were, we'd all have it sorted by now. ISIS are claiming Islam as their base of faith, and I have been forced to agree that they most probably are motivated by an archaic interpretation of this faith...but equally, most of what they do goes against the basic interpretation of the Quran.

What we can agree with is that whatever their TRUE motivations, they are a filthy cancer in our world.

Not sure if I wasn't quite clear. Or if I'm not quite understanding your point.

My point was that he is most definitely right. Because claiming that people do not belong to a religion (or ideology) they themselves claim to belong to is rarely (if ever) a good idea. Particularly about a group of people and from the outside.

Most of what most Christians do go against the basic interpretation of at the very least the Old Testament imo. I don't think I can claim that they're not Christians.

Could I claim that the monks in Myanmar referenced earlier by Dubai, or the kamikaze pilots during WW2 are/were not Buddhists? Can I claim that Stalin was not an Atheist? I don't think I can and I don't think people should make claims like that in general.

We agree that they are a cancer. Hopefully we'll find the right dose of chemotherapy that will kill them and other cancers whilst leaving ourselves relatively unharmed. If we could also identify the sources of radiation that caused this cancer and avoid them in the future we'd really be on to something. (I will now stop extending this metaphor)

I am simply saying that I believe ISIS have hijacked the Muslim faith in so far as their 'extreme' interpretation is sadly getting a hell of a lot more attention than the Muslim faiths practiced by millions upon millions of peaceful, non-extremist Muslims.

As for the 'generalization' it is not mine!!!!!! I am merely pointing out that there are further millions of Daily Mail and Sun readers who hear a buzzphrase and run with it. That's where Islamophobia comes from. Now, if you were a conspiracy theorist, you might believe that ISIS is quite happy to see moderate Muslims tarred with the same brush, so as a few more 'converts' can be turned once said-people get tinkleed off having to either explain, or physically defend, themselves all the time.

Right now, it's pretty hard to disagree with you simply because they're acting right now and getting all the attention. I still cling to my belief that the vast, vast majority of GENUINE Muslims do not want anything to do with THAT interpretation of their hold book mate.

I believe the problems with Islam extend way beyond attention not being directed at the right areas.

I realize that the generalization was not yours. Apologies for not being clear on that. I don't think you have to be a conspiracy theorist to think what you propose. Just have to be willing to accept that ISIS are behaving strategically and ruthlessly. Something I'm rather willing to do. If this is part of their actual motivation I don't know, but believing that provoking a larger conflict is a good idea seems rather commonplace amongst Muslim terrorists (another generalization, I know).

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

-Steven Weinberg

I do not agree entirely with Weinberg on this, as I think there are other things than religion that can be used for the same purpose with a similar effect (I would be surprised if he didn't agree, think it was more of a soundbite). But part of his point is a very good one.

Whilst I agree that the vast majority of Muslims disagree with ISIS there are other very troubling aspects of Islam that a much greater proportion seemingly believe in. I agree that the majority of Muslims are good people, much like the majority of just about any large group of people.

As a point of minor disagreement. Your use of "GENUINE Muslim" and attempting to classify which self-identified Muslims are in fact Muslims is at best very close to the no true Scotsman fallacy imo.

As a slight aside I wish my arguments were not made harder to argue against by the presence and actions of ISIS. It's rather damning about my arguments to be honest. My opinion has not been formed or changed by ISIS and I don't seem them changing after ISIS are defeated. Their actions have again raised these issues, but they themselves are (imo) not the main issue at all.

No, but I'd say it is a strategic weapon more often than not...

And a scarily effective and indiscriminate weapon at that. If a biological or chemical weapon was invented that had the effect of religion I think it would be more feared than nuclear weapons by far. And people would not call fear of it a phobia.

Not sure if I wasn't quite clear. Or if I'm not quite understanding your point.

My point was that he is most definitely right. Because claiming that people do not belong to a religion (or ideology) they themselves claim to belong to is rarely (if ever) a good idea. Particularly about a group of people and from the outside.

Most of what most Christians do go against the basic interpretation of at the very least the Old Testament imo. I don't think I can claim that they're not Christians.

Could I claim that the monks in Myanmar referenced earlier by Dubai, or the kamikaze pilots during WW2 are/were not Buddhists? Can I claim that Stalin was not an Atheist? I don't think I can and I don't think people should make claims like that in general.

We agree that they are a cancer. Hopefully we'll find the right dose of chemotherapy that will kill them and other cancers whilst leaving ourselves relatively unharmed. If we could also identify the sources of radiation that caused this cancer and avoid them in the future we'd really be on to something. (I will now stop extending this metaphor)

We couldn't.
No more than ISIS doesn't stand for every Muslim.
Unfortunately, in this filthy situation which now embraces PR and social media, sometimes a bit of 'generalist' can help eradicate the spread of fear...of course, I suspect the point of the excellent story I read in Atlantic Monthly would be that to even entertain such a strategy (for whatever purpose) is very very dangerous. There is, in fact, double-danger... that ISIS are extremists or that there are now a large swathe of the world's population who believe ISIS are not 'extremists' more than just simply 'Muslims'...

4am now so time to hit the hay (finished some assignments just now)...

We couldn't.
No more than ISIS doesn't stand for every Muslim.
Unfortunately, in this filthy situation which now embraces PR and social media, sometimes a bit of 'generalist' can help eradicate the spread of fear...of course, I suspect the point of the excellent story I read in Atlantic Monthly would be that to even entertain such a strategy (for whatever purpose) is very very dangerous. There is, in fact, double-danger... that ISIS are extremists or that there are now a large swathe of the world's population who believe ISIS are not 'extremists' more than just simply 'Muslims'...

4am now so time to hit the hay (finished some assignments just now)...

In deed. And in fact even a triple danger because the reaction to ISIS can be further harmful if not well thought out and measured.

Enjoy your hay hitting... :)

Back