• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bill Nicholson

Yep RIP 'Mr Tottenham', arguably the greatest individual in the club's history.

Like quite a few here I was at the Bolton game, sad day all round, although in ways uplifting because it gave a special meaning to an otherwise disappointing game. I remember many happier times under Bill as well of course. A favourite game of min at the Lane was in the 60s v Utd, we were arguably the two 'glamour clubs' in the country then. Managed by Busby Utd had Law Charlton and Best in the team 'the holy trinity', but we won 5-1 and Greavesie scored a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg

As Billy Nick used to say, 'now Jimmy didn't used to blast the ball, he used to pass it into the net'.

Just to add what a fitting tribute last night was, IIRC we scored our 100th European victory, Kane became the 10th Spurs player to get a European hat trick and we became the top scorers in the Europa League's history. Uncanny, for once the football gods were smilingdown on us last night, and it's nice to think Bill was amongst them.

Nicholson' reign really was a remarkably successful era for our club compared to everything that preceded and has followed it, during a 12 year period he won as much silverware as ever other manager in Spurs's football league history put together!

A shame that some dodgy officials denied Sir Bill the chance to make Spurs the first British club to reach the European Cup final.

3463yop.jpg

He was a lovely man and he loved the club. In the bad winter of 1963 I helped clear the pitch for the cup game against Burnley and he was out on the pitch with us and took time to chat with everyone and made you feel part of the club, I'll never forget that.

Kudos to you for helping out KD. Unfortunately we lost IIRC, first FA Cup game we'd lost since 1960. I so vividly remember that winter, never experienced one like it in my whole life. It wasn't too bad for us kids, must have been tough for a lot of adults.

Nicholson' reign really was a remarkably successful era for our club compared to everything that preceded and has followed it, during a 12 year period he won as much silverware as ever other manager in Spurs's football league history put together!

A shame that some dodgy officials denied Sir Bill the chance to make Spurs the first British club to reach the European Cup final.

3463yop.jpg

Yep, Bill had an amazing record. But just to note we also won the FA Cup in 1901, the only non league team ever to do so, and so it's Bill 8, every other Spurs manager 9 :)

(It's fair to say a lot of clubs didn't have managers in 1901 the way we saw them in Bill's day, but Cameron is usually referred to as our player-manager that amazing year)

He was a lovely man and he loved the club. In the bad winter of 1963 I helped clear the pitch for the cup game against Burnley and he was out on the pitch with us and took time to chat with everyone and made you feel part of the club, I'll never forget that.

Thats a nice story to be able to tell people for sure....

[video=youtube;s6QPs_o6elQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QPs_o6elQ[/video]

[video=youtube;raTQiaULC9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTQiaULC9c[/video]

B0nWf0vCQAAwevv.jpg

BykahMwIgAE83np.jpg

Be53OFACUAA60ao.jpg

BXGhOp2CQAQro1M.png

Last edited:
Happy 100th birthday, Bill Nick. In loving memory.

Sent from my SM-G950F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Now I feel bad:oops:

But also alarmed by the spooky coincidence of bringing this up today. :eek:

He didn't just "let us dream", he brought our dreams to reality and in doing so created what we all hold so dear to our hearts today.

The accolade "Mr **********" is used all to casually but he really was (is) Mr Tottenham Hotspur.

RIP Bill. Love you Sir.

Psssst! You up for t' Tour de Yorkshire? ;)

Sir Bill. Thanks for posting them, listening to him talk about Chivers brought back the memories, the guy was a giant and on his day was up there with the best CF in the world (imo), but he could also look disinterested at times.

Last edited:
Back