• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Back after 8 years... what did I miss?

this place does feel a bit Twitter-esque, which I binned off after a while because i was sick of it. I'm all for engaging and discussing, but people seem to be set in their beliefs further and further without any willingness to compromise.

For example, people here shouting "white privlege doesn't exist". Go read a book on it, something like 'Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about Race' by Reni-Eddo Lodge, and if you still disagree, great, engage in why.

Right now, it feels like people read the Mail and Telegraph and take that as gospel.

this place does feel a bit Twitter-esque, which I binned off after a while because i was sick of it. I'm all for engaging and discussing, but people seem to be set in their beliefs further and further without any willingness to compromise.

For example, people here shouting "white privlege doesn't exist". Go read a book on it, something like 'Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about Race' by Reni-Eddo Lodge, and if you still disagree, great, engage in why.

Right now, it feels like people read the Mail and Telegraph and take that as gospel.
This place hasn't devolved to twitter levels yet. Far from it actually. There is still a reasonable level of civil discourse and occurrences of actual full-on verbal assaults are rare. The closed nature of the forum obviously has a lot to do with that but also our common Spurs bond means that we're willing to listen to the other side a few minutes longer (they can't be all bad if they support Spurs type thing).

Also, I think allowances have to be made for the circumstances people find themselves in. We are in the age of overlapping crisis and for some (me anyway) this is the only place I would bother posting my opinion on stuff. So a little venting is allowed IMO.

As for your point on white privilege. It's there, it always has been and it always will be unless everyone fully recognises it's existence and takes steps to eradicate it. This would be my opinion. Others may not see it exactly like that but if by posting your views on this topic moves opinions even an inch closer to your viewpoint then you should see that as worthwhile.

I nearly left this forum recently for similar concerns to those you describe but I'm glad I didn't.

Sounds like you're set in your belief that white privilege exists.......

And The Spectator.

Also, the book by Reni-Eddo Lodge should be essential reading, if I may add Natives by Akala to that list as well.

ha so let's start a bit simpler...

What are your thoughts on the government's handling of the pandemic?
Meh, if I'm perfectly honest.

I think they went way too far with the lockdown and restrictions on freedom, but faced with the results from Professor fudgenuckle's 1970s apocalypse machine and its subsequent reporting in the press, I don't know what else they could have done.

ha so let's start a bit simpler...

What are your thoughts on the government's handling of the pandemic?

I give them a 5 out of 10.

They were slow to react and have been muddled and unclear in their response. They wanted to seem liberal in their response and allow people personal freedom. I think with something of this magnitude they should have locked down quicker. Especially when seeing what was happening in Italy and Spain.

They should have looked at what countries like south Korea who have experience of this sort of things do.

Some of this is with the benefit of hindsight.

Seen Tony Robinson who i love watching say they are guilty of manslaughter. Which i think is allowing his personal politics to overcome the situation as an awful lot of people have done including quite a few on here.

Slightly off topic i was in China in February and i doubt the UK could have locked down to that extent without people complaining about a loss of liberty.

I have thought black people have received a bad time for many years but the way to write those wrongs are in changing laws and improving opportunities.

I think the left are getting more hateful which after 4 years of Trump i totally get, the guy is an idiot it is why i started the Trump thread.

Also think we will rightly get a labour government next time round, which for an equal country will be a good thing. Too long of anyone party is a bad thing.

As for this site, i had a poster tell me i shpuld expect other nationalities to hate me as a Briton because of things that happened before i was born. Then also use the racist right wing phrase "try to tell me the history of my own country" when pointing things out about Irish history.

As ever it is ok to slag the British off, which i think sadly is setting the ground for our own Trump in 10-15 years. I probably wont be hear to see it thank GHod.

They were slow to react and have been muddled and unclear in their response. They wanted to seem liberal in their response and allow people personal freedom. I think with something of this magnitude they should have locked down quicker. Especially when seeing what was happening in Italy and Spain.

They should have looked at what countries like south Korea who have experience of this sort of things do.

Seen Tony Robinson who i love watching say they are guilty of manslaughter. Which i think is allowing his personal politics to overcome the situation as an awful lot of people have done including quite a few on here.

Slightly off topic i was in China in February and i doubt the UK could have locked down to that extent without people complaining about a loss of liberty.

Hindsight is the thing. Compared to what they should have done, you'd give them a 2, but it is easy to say in hindsight. Few were calling the perfect response when things hit the fan. So a 5 is fair!

What is not great is that we still do not have a proper testing setup. The government have failed in the logistics and implementation.

Also the speed with which they reacted at the get-go was woeful. You'd expect most developed nations governments to be monitoring China closely from December and preparing. Then watching Iran, Itally. We had months to prepare. This government didn't. Then it hit, they got sick, and we get bluster but little successful action.

Ok see this is what I do not get (and again, i'm not on Twitter so i don't sit in a bubble). Maybe i'm merging several threads into one here...

This is a "centre-right" government, same as Germany for example. How can it be, that Germany, with a population of 20m more people and also governed by a centre right government, can record 8K deaths, and the UK has 40K? How can people think "yeh, not bad from the Tories".

The Cummings affair. Why couldn't they just say "Yeh, it was wrong, sorry". How that would have closed off the issue. They literally just shat on the entire country with their "no it was legal" despite knowing full well it was a crock of sh1t. I'd have respected them far more for an apology and reprimand rather than this doubling down of a nonsensical eye test for 30 mins drive with a 4 year old in the car. I am sure you know this too, yet for some unknown reason, cannot seem to criticise this government or accept any wrong doings.

Blows my mind, truly. I have voted Tories, Lib Dems and Labour in my life and I can happily criticise all 3, and there's definitely twitter circles on left and right that refuse to see things out of that bubble (Corbyn, jeez), but how anyone can think this Government has done a good job despite the wide ranging facts on the table they have completely roostered this up across the board, seem unable to even criticise or call them out on it.

Ok see this is what I do not get (and again, i'm not on Twitter so i don't sit in a bubble). Maybe i'm merging several threads into one here...

(Corbyn, jeez), but how anyone can think this Government has done a good job despite the wide ranging facts on the table they have completely roostered this up across the board, seem unable to even criticise or call them out on it.

Careful now, i really like Corbyn and apart from flopping on the EU that guy was the business.

A considered, fair and balanced view of the UK government.

What a refreshing change.

This is a "centre-right" government, same as Germany for example. How can it be, that Germany, with a population of 20m more people and also governed by a centre right government, can record 8K deaths, and the UK has 40K? How can people think "yeh, not bad from the Tories".

The Cummings affair. Why couldn't they just say "Yeh, it was wrong, sorry". How that would have closed off the issue. They literally just shat on the entire country with their "no it was legal" despite knowing full well it was a crock of sh1t. I'd have respected them far more for an apology and reprimand rather than this doubling down of a nonsensical eye test for 30 mins drive with a 4 year old in the car. I am sure you know this too, yet for some unknown reason, cannot seem to criticise this government or accept any wrong doings.

Blows my mind, truly. I have voted Tories, Lib Dems and Labour in my life and I can happily criticise all 3, and there's definitely twitter circles on left and right that refuse to see things out of that bubble (Corbyn, jeez), but how anyone can think this Government has done a good job despite the wide ranging facts on the table they have completely roostered this up across the board, seem unable to even criticise or call them out on it.
Maybe many (like me) think there are far more important things than a virus - namely pretty much everything.

Back