• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alternatives to Sky and Virgin TV

billyiddo

Teddy Sheringham
Staff member
£90 a month for Virgin and it's not even the full package! Time to find another way to watch tv - what options are out there these days?

We get poor arial signal so freeview wouldn't be an option unless there's an internet version?

Have you tried calling Virgin retentions?

Is this where you threaten to leave and they offer you a new deal?

If so, no

Kinda of up for ditching it alltogether, Sport and Movies can be sourced online - and ive seen things like Chromecast and Roku box mentioned before but am not really clued up on the ins and outs - was hoping someone could shed a bit of light on those kinds of setups

You can get the ful package with Sky for about 65 quid try that for a year it will increase after that but as its a years contract you can juggle between the two

Media Centre PC (to sit where your sky-box would be) plugged into your telly with HDMI cable. Then download everything from pirate-bay using utorrent, play it with vlc player. Get all your sport via small, running watery things that sound like 'dreams' -- a poster named 'wiziwig' might help you there (google him).

All you need is a good internet connection.

I was paying £95 for Sky so I cancelled.

They offered me same package for £60, told them where to go.

Two days before I was due to be cut off they got in touch and offered me the same package for £25. Worth cancelling and holding your nerve until last minute.

Two days before I was due to be cut off they got in touch and offered me the same package for £25. Worth cancelling and holding your nerve until last minute.

Jesus! thats crazy. Mine is cost me an arm and a leg at the moment. I rant them to complain as my box is old and knackered and I wanted a new one. They told me i had to pay for it and I said no so struggling on with my 6 year old box that has lag issues and and fills up quickly whilst paying the full monty everything month.

Seems I will actually have to cancel to get it down.

For how long? A year?

£25 !!!! the best i got was £25 a month off mine down to £70 from £95

That has to be a typo surely unless you cancelled most of your services?

Cancelled last night,was paying £88 a month to Sky.....first of all they offered a fiver off !!!....then got through to cancellations offered me £16 off,said no,the girl on the line give me a big speech on loyalty blah blah.....still cancelled though. It comes down to how long you've been with sky,if you been there for a long time you'll get better discounts straight off but like myself only been there a year perhaps may have to do a stand off,so going to wait till the last minute and wait for their call.

Still got a virgin line in the house so may give them a call.

Does anyone know is their a free link/site to most of shows that are on sky atlantic,if i go back to virgin they don't have atlantic so need somewhere to keep in touch with some things on there,thrones/leftovers etc.

Saw something on TV a couple of weeks ago. Some sort of Rouge traders program or scroungers. Some bloke can give you a box that gets all the channels and u pay him like £20 a month. He said he earns about 20-30k a month doing it! They said more people that that than sky.

Saw something on TV a couple of weeks ago. Some sort of Rouge traders program or scroungers. Some bloke can give you a box that gets all the channels and u pay him like £20 a month. He said he earns about 20-30k a month doing it! They said more people that that than sky.

Will probably be an ex sky technician. As long as you have a box and a satelite dish they can probably find a way around the cad thing. My cousin when he was living in Spain got sky installed for £200 as a one off price, all the channels forever. so they know how to do it.

It's probably a card sharing network. Basically he has a legitimate Sky subscription and then puts the card in a server, you have a linux box that connects to his server and requests the decryption keys which his legitimate card gets and sends to your linux box over the net.

Cancel Sky, and just PAYG on NowTV - no contract. I've saved a bloody fortune!

The entertainment package is about a fiver a month, and put the rest of the savings into NetFlix, and a good global VPN.

It's probably a card sharing network. Basically he has a legitimate Sky subscription and then puts the card in a server, you have a linux box that connects to his server and requests the decryption keys which his legitimate card gets and sends to your linux box over the net.
This is what it will be.

If I were allowed to put a dish up I'd do it.

£25 !!!! the best i got was £25 a month off mine down to £70 from £95

I rung up and told them it was too expensive and they have me 50% off my bill for six months pretty much right away.

When I rented a place before and left when moving out I obviously had to cancel it, sky kept ringing me begging me to return as a customer for a good year afterwards, well worth holding your nerve if you can. Don't forget like phones it's a mature market and there isn't really many new customers so retention is key for them.

I wouldn't mind Now TV but then you don't get on demand and you cant record things which is what I mainly do, pretty much just record tv series to burn through, watch a few on demand and the football.

Sky are quite worried though with BT, that's why they offered free broadband for a year if you extended your line rental subscription for another 18 months. Guess once champions league goes to BT people may switch and take up their broadband, be interesting to see how the next premier league tv auction goes.

Last edited:
Back