1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

3rd Place or FA Cup?

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jim Bob, 5 Mar 2012.

?

3rd Place or FA Cup

1. Finishing in 3rd Place

32 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Winning the FA Cup

55 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Fraizer Campbell

I hate hypothetical questions too, but it had me thinking, so I put it to you...

If you could only achieve one, which would it be?

2. GLENROYID

GLENROYID Ruel Fox

3. southstand1882

southstand1882 Mitchell Thomas

FA Cup bricks all over getting duffed up by Real Madrid / Barcelona

4. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Fraizer Campbell

Obviously that's the answer I'd expect from every Spurs fan.
    I made this poll simply to gain an idea of which option we all consider to be of higher importance.

Note to southstand1882, voting for 'Winning the FA Cup' can include finishing 4th and thus qualifying for the Champions League.

5. SPURSphenomenon

SPURSphenomenon Kevin Scott

FA Cup and 4th for me. I know everyone will be thinking about the scum reaction, but in truth, they still wont have a trophy. And we can just go and knock them out of next seasons CL!

(obviously I think we are more than capable of doing both, my comment above is purely for the benefit of this poll!)

6. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

the Cup i guess - however having to face up to all the gooners ive been slagging off all season would be a mighty bitter pill to swallow

i do think we will finish 3rd and win the FA Cup though

7. Park Lane James

Park Lane James Andy Sinton

4th and the FA Cup. I wouldn't mind if the gooners finished above us - as we would have won a trophy at Wembley again while they consider another trophy-less season.

8. COYS

COYS Allan Nielsen

3rd place as opposed to...?

9. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Christian Ziege

See, I said third but then I thought about it and now I think the FA Cup and 4th, but saying that we will win the FA Cup is no guarantee that we will finish 4th and ultimately, CL is more important. There are pros and cons for each:

Pros of finishing 3rd but not winning the FA Cup:

No play-off match for the Group stages of the CL next season and so we will be more likely to attract new players to join our club, we won't necessarily have to wait to see if we win the play-off match before they decide if they want to join.

Third is the highest finish we will have achieved in the Premiership and as such a real step forward.

Third is above Arsenal and so the first time we will have finished above Arsenal for a long time.

We may be more likely to be able to keep hold of our best players if we know for sure that we will get CL football and no play-off match needed.

Cons:

Winning the FA Cup is real success, not finishing 3rd. We want to have glory days at the club which means that we want to be winning regular trophies.

Arsenal's seasons of not winning trophies increases us whilst we win another trophy.

We get a day out at Wembley with a guaranteed win, if we are going to win, which means that all of us have a fantastic day of football which we remember for a long time to come.

The success in the FA Cup will be publicised Worldwide which means that our reputation as a club may continue to increase.

10. Hootnow

Hootnow Jermaine Jenas

As long as we finish in the CL places, I'd want the trophy too. Especially if its Chelsea and not Arsenal finishing above us.

But 5th and the FA cup? I'd have to go for just third tbh (sadly). That's more important for the progression of the club in today's game.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012
  11. camspur

camspur Steed Malbranque

3rd for sure, CL money and better prospects of keeping our best players, you know if we don't get CL football Bale, Modric aetc will all be gone (or so the press will tell you)

12. jimmyb

jimmyb Milija Aleksic

As others have said:

4th and FA Cup > 3rd and no FA Cup.

13. paxtonwolf

paxtonwolf Mel Hopkins

I agree, bearing in mind the position we have been in, I could just about accept 4th if we won the FA Cup, but if I would not swap the Cup for 5th place, finishing outside the Top 4 this season after being in such a strong position could destroy the squad morale

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Milija Aleksic

Sadly true.

15. yiddo2786

yiddo2786 Steed Malbranque

On the naughty step for swearing in his location f
    We are totally capable of finishing 3rd and winning the FA Cup.

16. Naughton16

Naughton16 Clive Wilson

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Milija Aleksic

Of course we are.

The OP merely wanted to gauge people's priorities.

18. yiddo2786

yiddo2786 Steed Malbranque

On the naughty step for swearing in his location f
    Of course. I voted FA Cup, assuming "not finishing 3rd" means 4th. I'd love to win a cup final again.

19. COYS

COYS Allan Nielsen

3rd is worth more money and status than the FA Cup. Players find 3rd more attractive

20. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Nick Barmby

In recent years the FA Cup has definitely lost much of its magic whilst nowadays the CL has all the glam, so I voted Third.

A little bit of trivia that may or may not signify. For sure it's nothing like on a par with the year ending in one (although even that noble tradition seems to have bitten the dust in recent times), but when it comes to 3rd plus a Cup we do have a bit of form, viz 1962 (3rd plus FA Cup), 1967 (3rd plus FA Cup), 1971 (3rd plus League Cup).

And in 1982 we managed 4th plus the FA Cup. Thirty years on that would do nicely thank you very much.