• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The ones that got away

Re: The One that got away

Plus you know we would have made each and everyone one of those players mentioned instantly ****. That my friends, is the Tottenham way!

I just hope out of the managers we're being linked to at the moment there won't be another name in the next thread like this a year or two down the line...

A quick run through and can't see this one mentioned - which did surprise me somewhat…

ROMAN ABRAMOVICH

I hate Chelsea for he has transformed them from nobody's to everybody's. Jealousy is a wonderful thing

Mario Kempes.

He played in the Ossie testimonial along with Maradona, but also played a few other friendlies for us. I assume he was being considered. It was late in his career, so not really one who got away, but could have added to our Argentine tradition.

Mario Kempes.

He played in the Ossie testimonial along with Maradona, but also played a few other friendlies for us. I assume he was being considered. It was late in his career, so not really one who got away, but could have added to our Argentine tradition.

I did hear a story that he was on trial and because he failed to score against Enfield, he wasnt signed.

Admittedly this one isn't all for direct footballing reasons, but I think Beckham's loan that fell through in January 2011 is worth a shout. Would've given us an incredible boost in terms of global image. I imagine it'd have lifted the squad just prior to the flop of a run-in too....

Yes, Bergkamp was a phenomenal player who could have filled the huge void that Klinsmann left. Of course, it seems ridiculous to even consider him in the same sentence as Chris Armstrong but whilst this reason may not have occured to Alan Sugar at the time has anyone considered that Bergkamp would have been totally incompatible with Teddy as a strikeforce.

They, along with Cantona, were the finest 'no.10s' in the league at the time. What each of them needed to thrive was a quick, play off the shoulder number 9 type (Cole, Wright). Especially as we were also expecting Nick Barmby to hang around at the time (he left within a month of Klinsmann going) I'm not sure Bergkamp would have been at his most effective and would probably have left us within 12 months having failed to link up with Ruel Fox, Jason Dozzell and Andy Sinton. As it turned out Armstrong, who would go on to score 25 goals in his first season, was probably the better choice as Teddy's strike partner. Naturally if we'd pushed the boat and bought Sir Les that Summer we'd have been even better!

Aside from that we could really have done with Damien Duff in 2005 when we needed a left sided midfielder.

Who knows what difference Bobby Convey would have made to Glenn when his work permit was denied in 2003!

I was going to suggest Bobby Convey. How about Fernando Morientes? Is he still at Burger King?

I was going to suggest Bobby Convey. How about Fernando Morientes? Is he still at Burger King?

Hoddle mentioned Morientes on the Spurs Show the other day. Something about how Levy and Pleat didn't back him with a tiny bit more money to be able to get Eto'o and Morientes in.

Zidane?
I am never sure if that story about GF and him is true…if it is, the mullet should forever be chastised by all Spurs!!!!

Pretty sure it's true. Also we were looking at Dugarry at the same time and wanted him but he would only join us if we took Zidane also. So we lost out on him too coz Zidane was too wooden.

Why do I not remember this? I seem to remember it was between Man Utd and Arsenal.

Yeah that was about 6-9 months later.... As GB says, we signed mr Prolific instead...

Only one winner here, The Sock!

I think I saw recently his contract is up this summer? Need unknown to translate another article (badly lol)

I remember we agreed a deal for Solskjaer. He came to the Lane to watch us....we lost to spammers 0-1....he rejected the move.

Looks like a replica of the trophy. I'd guess that each player received both a medal, and a replica, to keep at home.

Unless Modric was Man of the Match? I have no idea who that Award went to.

Back