• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

California what is it really like?

and for the original poster, avoid all of LA. I would start off in Vancouver and drive down the coast, taking in Seattle, Portland, (the oregon coastline is beautiful and very underrated) and then when you make it to Cali, go through Montery, half moon bay, take in hurst castle and san luis obispo.

GL and enjoy.

We did that (or a variation of) for our honeymoon. Flew into Seattle, stayed for a couple of nights which was great. A lovely chilled city right by the sound with mountains the other side. Drove up to Vancouver for a few days which is a beautiful city and then on to Whistler. We then drove down the same way but on to Portland and a lovely little town called Newport and a few other small places. Mount Rainier was stunning.

My advice, whereever you go is to not plan much. Go where your mood takes you. So many motels (not glamourous but you only need somewhere to sleep) and you will stumble across some amazing (and probably wierd) places.

Enjoy

I'm at university still myself mate so it's defiantly not something thats fast coming. :p

Main worry for me is I find most people in the UK to be self centered arseholes and I'm not sure if American culture would be much of an improvment on that or not!

My uncle though whom I've only met once moved to South Carolina 30 years ago. He lost his job and struggled for a while but when my granmother asked him to come back he said he felt to Americanized and that he could never see him living in any other country again. Must be something to it then!

Let me address that directly as I understand your worries.

I don't think it's any worse at all…there are absolutely cultural differences, and some will drive you mad…but there are a lot of Americans who are wonderful. Open-minded, friendly, decent people who's company you will very much enjoy. Yes there will be arseholes (and TBH what you're speaking of starts to become more of a shift in global attitudes than anything) but generally-speaking I think you would be nicely surprised depending on where you end up.

How do you reckon mate?

we have been going there every three-ish years over the past 10 years, but when we went to visit this time (a month ago), it just seemed very run down, dirty and a bit tacky. and the homeless population seemed very bad.

first time neither my wife or I felt safe walking around SF.
maybe it was just a bad experience mixed in with a bit of reverse culture shock - we have just moved from St Albans/London four weeks beforehand.

that said - this thread is is great and has given me a lot of food for thought about what to do whilst living in CA

we have been going there every three-ish years over the past 10 years, but when we went to visit this time (a month ago), it just seemed very run down, dirty and a bit tacky. and the homeless population seemed very bad.

first time neither my wife or I felt safe walking around SF.
maybe it was just a bad experience mixed in with a bit of reverse culture shock - we have just moved from St Albans/London four weeks beforehand.

Ahhh, depends on where you were to be fair.

Yes, a fair amount of homeless for sure (to do with mental health budget having been slashed years ago) but there's actually been a lot regeneration in many areas, Ferry Building/Embarcadero, Valencia St, Noe Valley, Crissy Field area, etc…LMK and I'll point you to some better places...

I find it amazing that you hate the 'natives' mate...where in Nor Cal are you? That will make a massive difference...

why do you find it "amazing" ?
a lot of ex-pats here think the same way. saying that, the septics on the east coast are much better, they dont ask if you're australian, german, irish etc when you open your mouth!
Americans just dont get our sense of humour (sic) and especially in california, they're so horribly pc. If you're about to bump into someone, its all excuse me and I'm so sorry etc, I'd like to see them on the northern line at 8am on a monday.

a lot of ex-pats here think the same way. saying that, the septics on the east coast are much better, they dont ask if you're australian, german, irish etc when you open your mouth!
Americans just dont get our sense of humour (sic) and especially in california, they're so horribly pc. If you're about to bump into someone, its all excuse me and I'm so sorry etc, I'd like to see them on the northern line at 8am on a monday.

Sorry geezer, in my experience NOT a lot of ex-pats feel that way, and the ones that do generally don't stay. Maybe you're spending time with the wrong ones…if you ever want to spend some time with the right ones, PM me, be happy to introduce you to a new seam of humanity out here. Again, not sure where you are, but that can make a massive difference.

Yeah, I wil admit the whole 'where are you from' thing 'can' be annoying (the amount of times someone says 'Australia' is staggering) but I put that down to naive, under-traveled curiosity, not anything particularly evil.

I like New Yorkers, but there are some East Coast places I do not like. You can keep the state of Florida for a start ;-)

As for the 'excuse me' and what-not, I've been polite for decades mate…as for the Northern Line at 8am on a Monday, if someone's a **** then I will tell them they're a ****…that's international :lol:..

It's funny, because when I go back home (a few times a year) I generally find the level of ****iness has risen enormously. I suppose it's all about perspective. Anyway, offer stands mate...

Tbh when I said I was worried about certain cultural differences I meant that they might be to self absorbed and rude. The fact they might be too polite wasn't a very high concern of mine at all! :lol:

Sorry geezer, in my experience NOT a lot of ex-pats feel that way, and the ones that do generally don't stay. Maybe you're spending time with the wrong ones…if you ever want to spend some time with the right ones, PM me, be happy to introduce you to a new seam of humanity out here. Again, not sure where you are, but that can make a massive difference.

Yeah, I wil admit the whole 'where are you from' thing 'can' be annoying (the amount of times someone says 'Australia' is staggering) but I put that down to naive, under-traveled curiosity, not anything particularly evil.

I like New Yorkers, but there are some East Coast places I do not like. You can keep the state of Florida for a start ;-)

As for the 'excuse me' and what-not, I've been polite for decades mate…as for the Northern Line at 8am on a Monday, if someone's a **** then I will tell them they're a ****…that's international :lol:..

It's funny, because when I go back home (a few times a year) I generally find the level of ****iness has risen enormously. I suppose it's all about perspective. Anyway, offer stands mate...

er ok, i think you're missing the point a bit.

sounds like I touched a nerve or something,

I've got a few yank mates as well, its called a generalisation and for the most part for most natives here, their insular, wide-eyed faux ignorance of anything outside these shores can be put down to them not getting/not using vacation, cost of travel because of where this country is in the world and their culture and upbringing teaches individuality and the love of their country over any other. Nothing evil at all but i still don't like them, sorry.

Really appreciate the offer of meeting the "right ones" but I'll have to respectfully decline, I guess I'll just have to stomach the fact that I'm with the "wrong ones".

er ok, i think you're missing the point a bit.

sounds like I touched a nerve or something,

I've got a few yank mates as well, its called a generalisation and for the most part for most natives here, their insular, wide-eyed faux ignorance of anything outside these shores can be put down to them not getting/not using vacation, cost of travel because of where this country is in the world and their culture and upbringing teaches individuality and the love of their country over any other. Nothing evil at all but i still don't like them, sorry.

Really appreciate the offer of meeting the "right ones" but I'll have to respectfully decline, I guess I'll just have to stomach the fact that I'm with the "wrong ones".

Mate…all in friendly conversation…nah…no nerves touched (and what point have I missed, I think you've been crystal), I was just surprised because I've never run into any ex-pats who feel like you and are still here (have to ask, is it worth staying if you feel like that?) No offence meant, sorry if you took it that way. Offer still stands (Danny Coyles in SF is where the official SF Spurs bar is)...

Traveled round it for a while on a trip from North America down through Central America and ending in South America abotu 5 years ago.

LA is Sh*t except for a couple of the beach towns. San Fran is fantastic, and I definitely would get to San Diego, it was one of my favourite cities. If you can get over the border to TJ for a night (although not with your kids, so I'm guessing it would be impossible on a family trip) make sure and do so, one of the most surreal, but incredibly enjoyable nights out I've ever had.

Mate…all in friendly conversation…nah…no nerves touched (and what point have I missed, I think you've been crystal), I was just surprised because I've never run into any ex-pats who feel like you and are still here (have to ask, is it worth staying if you feel like that?) No offence meant, sorry if you took it that way. Offer still stands (Danny Coyles in SF is where the official SF Spurs bar is)...

er, sorry to burst your bubble fella, but I've been to danny coyles on haight a few times, the last one when we played san jose at that ****ty college stadium in santa clara, ossie was there on the friday night, in fact i see a lot of sf spurs when i go to this amazing place every year http://www.stumptown.com/revival/.

if we're talking spurs supporters groups, had some great craic with the LA spurs a couple of years ago when Tottenham were again in town to place the galaxy and honourable mention to the NYspurs, had a bender with them in Miami a few years back, great times.

And in answer to your question, I'm very happy living here for the reasons listed in a previous post, even if my daughter has an american accent. Love the country, not the people.

Slightly off topic, but on as well, most American that don't live on one of the coast lines finds those that do are completely rude, arrogant and self absorbed pricks.

California, Oregon and Washington are VERY PC and very hippie liberal types. They are extremely self absorbed and firmly believe they are better than everyone at everything.

Texas, and most of the south, are the polar opposite.

The East Coast, which is only from Virginia north to most American's (the rest is southeast and rarely lumped in) is viewed as just loud mouth pricks with over inflated sense of self and geography.

Those of us in the Midwest (Indiana to the Rockies and Missouri north to Canada) are much more laid back and polite. We have a fair share of extreme liberal and conservative nut jobs but most in this area will/do go well out of our way to help anyone who needs it.

As for visiting on vacation...California had much more sight seeing options. Living full time the Midwest is better

Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

Slightly off topic, but on as well, most American that don't live on one of the coast lines finds those that do are completely rude, arrogant and self absorbed pricks.

California, Oregon and Washington are VERY PC and very hippie liberal types. They are extremely self absorbed and firmly believe they are better than everyone at everything.

The East Coast, which is only from Virginia north to most American's (the rest is southeast and rarely lumped in) is viewed as just loud mouth pricks with over inflated sense of self and geography.

Those of us in the Midwest (Indiana to the Rockies and Missouri north to Canada) are much more laid back and polite. We have a fair share of extreme liberal and conservative nut jobs but most in this area will/do go well out of our way to help anyone who needs it.

As for visiting on vacation...California had much more sight seeing options. Living full time the Midwest is better

Out of interest, how much time have you spent outside Iowa?

er, sorry to burst your bubble fella, but I've been to danny coyles on haight a few times, the last one when we played san jose at that ****ty college stadium in santa clara, ossie was there on the friday night, in fact i see a lot of sf spurs when i go to this amazing place every year http://www.stumptown.com/revival/.

if we're talking spurs supporters groups, had some great craic with the LA spurs a couple of years ago when Tottenham were again in town to place the galaxy and honourable mention to the NYspurs, had a bender with them in Miami a few years back, great times.

And in answer to your question, I'm very happy living here for the reasons listed in a previous post, even if my daughter has an american accent. Love the country, not the people.

:lol:

Nah, you're all good mate, no bubble-burst at all,our paths will cross again one day I'm sure, delighted…COYS.

Ive done California Drove from SF through Vegas, San Diego and to L.A.

SF is brilliant, ****ing love it and could live there one day. SD is awesome and just love Gas Lamp Quarter - had the best steak there. Great for a holiday.

L.A. is **** absolute **** and someone should just pour concrete over that place. Not one nice thing except perhaps the drive through the Mulholland Drive. Californian girls are so lovely and slutty

Vegas, well Vegas is Vegas

I forgot that you are a beer guy, Chich, when I wrote my earlier post. There are many world-class breweries around the Bay Area, and several bars in SF where they have 50+ beers on tap, mostly local but mixed in with great beers from all over the world too. I'm work for a beer, wine and spirits distributor and would be happy to point you in the right direction if you like.

couldnt agree more, my wife's family are that to a tee. but I'd rather have them than gun toting, bible loving hicks.

and a word on the shooting in california, this is probably the most stringent state for gun control, background checks are done here, there is a cooling off period before you can buy a weapon which certainly doesnt take place in say, arkansas. So the fact that this happened is worrying to me as I'm a parent here but the gun right movement is just too powerful here for anything to change. Its definitely the darker side of this great land.

California is too large and varied to lump everyone together and categorize them IMO. SF is very different from SCal, I like the people up here a lot more than in the southern half of the state (I lived in San Diego for a couple of years) in general as I find them less self-involved and judgemental(sp?). Then you have the central valley and cities such as Sacramento where it is a lot more blue collar/midwestern in attitude (I used to live in the midwest/south too). You can visit Napa where it is very hoity-toity, then drive 30-60mins to Sonoma where it is a lot more laid-back. This is one of the reason why I enjoy living here, the variety. Just check your ego at the airport, enjoy everything the area has to offer and take it all in. The people in SF are ****ing crazy but that's fine bc it means you can be ****ing crazy too and no-one will judge you. Each to his own for sure!

Back