• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Doing a "Leeds"

Briddo1882

Erik Edman
I've been a lurker on here for years, however I thought its about time I dipped the aging toe in the water. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I haven't noticed if it has.

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that we could be potentially "doing a Leeds". Its very exciting being linked with all of this major talent, buying real quality etc. however I am worried that this expenditure is going to come and bite us hard on the arse in a couple of years.

I think I'd be happier if we balanced the books a little bit by selling Bale at the end of the window. I wonder if this Levy's plan. Tradionally very cautious (and I know JL has thrown a suposed £50m in the pot) but does he have an agreement with Madrid where they take him at the end of the month for £85m? :-k

I've been a lurker on here for years, however I thought its about time I dipped the aging toe in the water. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I haven't noticed if it has.

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that we could be potentially "doing a Leeds". Its very exciting being linked with all of this major talent, buying real quality etc. however I am worried that this expenditure is going to come and bite us hard on the arse in a couple of years.

I think I'd be happier if we balanced the books a little bit by selling Bale at the end of the window. I wonder if this Levy's plan. Tradionally very cautious (and I know JL has thrown a suposed £50m in the pot) but does he have an agreement with Madrid where they take him at the end of the month for £85m? :-k

I think we are spending the Bale money and we will bring on 2 more top signing. If not, it´s a win win situation, then we sell him next summer to cover these expenses.

I think we are spending the Bale money and we will bring on 2 more top signing. If not, it´s a win win situation, then we sell him next summer to cover these expenses.

That is a risk I'm sure Levy would not take. You can't assume an income on a player one year in the future. One career-ending injury (or just a year of bricky form) and the club is bankrupt. I'm certain that either Bale is confirmed off this window, or Levy has the books balanced such that we don't need to sell him.

I believe this is part of big push to get the club into the champions league. It's partly about matching the ambition of players like Bale rather than 'spending the Bale money', which seems rather ridiculous seeing as no deal has ever been agreed.

You have to ask what is the cost of continually missing out on CL by 1 points each season. It's not just the £60m+ you lose for one season but cost of being left further and further behind the top clubs. The commercial appeal and interest of the PL is highly concentrated in the top 4 clubs. We can't afford not to be there.

I have no idea what the plan is exactly. Selling Bale, funding it by a loan from Lewis, money to spend due to old deals that we have been paying for years not expiring, front loading on a Bale sale next season? All possible options.

What I'm supremely confident of is that Levy won't ever put us in a Leeds like situation. If we spend the money without selling Bale this summer we can afford it.

The Leeds situation was very different. In a time when TV money was high but vastly below what it is now they spent massive money on transfers (£18m Rio, £13m Keane etc) against future season ticket sales. They had no asset's (Elland Road belongs to the Council I believe) and took huge risks that couldn't be covered.

Whilst I am surprised at the extent of our spending and rather pleased, THFC is owned by Enic and Enic by Joe Lewis who has gazillions of hoola, any debt can be written off by Mr. Lewis. Although he has not done this before he would not want to lose his asset.

we can afford a big spend like this every so often, it just means we'll have less activity in future windows whilst these deals are settled. we're not spending 80m in one go, it'll be spread out over 2/3/4 years meaning that the 80m figure is more like 20-30 for this window/financial year which sounds much more manageable.

With Levy in charge there is no chance that we will " do a Leeds", thank GHod.

Yeah, I don't think we would either and I actually believe we have the best chairman in the league bar none. However, there is just that niggling doubt at the back of my mind that we are gambling on the revenue from future success.

The Leeds situation was very different. They bought players using some strange loan deal set up be Ray Ranson. It was effectively a lease scheme for players. When they ran into trouble they had to sell immediately as the player was the security. Other clubs knew they were in trouble so they got a poor return.

I suspect the plan is to sell Bale at the end of the window, but if it doesn't happen we have the assets. Any trouble would be cash flow and I'm sure Lewis can solve that if necessary. But he has Levy in charge so it shouldn't be necessary.

While I suspect that Bale has effectively been sold, there are alternatives(in decreasing order of probabilty). One, Bale is funding this summers spending. Two, this is the final push to make the CL and we pay for it by selling Bale next year. Three, some sort of financial partnership has been set up, either with a naming sponsor or prospective new owner. Four, Levy has lost it and we are on the road to ruin.

The Leeds situation was very different......

i don't see the reasoning behind the opinion that we need to sell Bale to cover our spending mate. let's say we spend 80m net this summer... at a guess id say of that 80m we'd only be paying around 30m (?) this financial year - 30m is an amount we should be able to afford to spend on transfers - infact the rise in tv money alone probably covers most of that and that's before we start discussing the validity of the Joe Lewis 50m loan info which has been flying about.

why this belief that we need to sell Bale, either now or next season, in order to cover our spending?

There is no way Levy will allow us to do a Leeds. The man is far too shrewd to allow that happen. Likewise, he is too clever to mortgage Tottenham against the sale of a player whose career could be over with one bad tackle.

Remember, aside from the TV money and the rumoured loan by Lewis, we made a net 30 million over the last couple of seasons on transfers. We'll be fine. Despite his few shortcomings, I have massive confidence in Levy.

What got Leeds into the situation it is, apart from them being ****s, is the wages spiralled out of control - that is a recurring expenditure and without the recurrent income to go with it, you will find yourself in debt. One off expenditures is fine.

Besides, and ive said this all along, Bale was always the insurance policy - there is an asset there with a guaranteed set fee (above 50m) so we could afford the level of spend this time round and if it fails we sell Bale and back to square one in terms of finances. Very low risk.

I could have sworn that this forum was brimming with comments about Levy having screwed this and that manager by not investing (in a top class striker/forward, mainly).

Now, four weeks on - and we are doing a Leeds? :lol:

Having said that, IF we buy one more quality player this window - then Bale is certainly already sold.

No, If we consider the increase in tv revenue for this year we've barely actually spent anything netwise.

Based on loose figures, this Is how I reckon we have financed the transfers.

Gds 3.5(sell on)
Parker 4
Caulker 8
Thudd 5

Total transfers out 20.5

Extra tv money 30

Money in 50.5

Soldado 26
Paulinho 17
Chadli 7
Capoue 9

Total transfers in 59

When it comes to wages also need to take in account gallas & Bentley being off the wage bill.

I think it is impossible for us to do a Leeds as long as Daniel Levy runs this club

David gold was on the transfer centre last night (ssn) saying that now Southampton had signed Osvaldo they were up to their 52m a year wage allowance fue to ffp...he said as much that downing had pushed their wage bill to the limit and that the only way they could sign another player (striker) was to free up some wages...

since he said this...and I don't know if he is being honest....but it makes me wonder...... what would our annual wage limit be due to ffp?????? same sort of level or a little higher???

Back