• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Arsenal 1 — Leicester 0
Jesus 24“

Great game of football.
Saliba, Zinchenko, Odegard and Jesus all looking much improved and classy.
They are going to be strong contenders for top 4.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
Will depend on how they approach Europa Lge.
If they play the reserves they won't get out of the group stage - that'll help them with a top 4 push. They have 13/14 really good players, but a huge drop off after that.

Jesus is quality. The question mark is, is he consistent? We don't really know. If he is, they'll be strong and Nketiah is a decent back up.

They'll need to win games in the first 70, then use the 5 subs sensibility across the season and also hope for no injuries.

The world cup in the middle of the season is really going to impact who finishes where - Brazilians, English, Argentines, Belgians, Germans and Spaniards suddenly have a huge amount of extra games.

Mikel Arteta was filmed launching a remarkable foul-mouthed rant at his Arsenal players in the wake of their Champions League qualification collapse at the end off last season.

The Spaniard was captured by an Amazon TV crew telling his squad to “shut your mouth and eat it” as he lambasted their “f------ unacceptable” performance in a 2-0 defeat at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Ultimately, it was that result - plus another loss in their preceding game at Tottenham Hotspur - which allowed Spurs to overtake their north London rivals and secure Champions League qualification.

Fourth place was within Arsenal’s hands before their trip to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but Arteta’s side produced a dreadful performance and were comfortably beaten at St James’ Park.

The final episode of Amazon’s ‘All or Nothing: Arsenal’ series, to be published this week, captures the scenes in the away dressing room at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

A furious Arteta tells his players: “It does not matter what I say. It does not matter what you say. Now it is too late. They were 10,000 times better than us today, in everything. We did not earn the right to play, we did not win a f------ duel, we didn’t win a second ball, we were horrible with the f------ ball and we had no organisation, we had nothing. Nothing.

“So now shut your mouth and eat it. We could have conceded eight goals. If you see the chances you will cry. You will cry at the way that we have competed. Not the way we have competed, we did not compete at all in the game.

“It is f------ embarrassing to come here the way we have done it. Embarrassing. What happened today is f------ unacceptable and if you accept something like this, you live in a different world.

“Don’t worry, I will face the people. Today it is hard to defend you guys. Hard. I will take all the s---, again. Don’t worry. But be prepared to start training to beat Everton because we have our fans there. You never know what happens in football, they [Spurs] might lose at Norwich, you don’t know.”

'It was a f------ joke what happened out there'

Arteta was far less angry with his players after the defeat at Spurs, in which defender Rob Holding received a first-half red card. The Arsenal manager was more upset by refereeing decisions, which included the call to award a penalty to Spurs for a push by full-back Cedric Soares on Son Heung-min.

“I will complain and do everything I can to defend our club,” Arteta told his players. “Because it was a f------ joke what happened out there.”

The final episodes also show a clash in training between Cedric and former Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette, who has since joined Lyon. Lacazette is seen fouling academy prospect Jack Henry-Francis in training and then grabbing Cedric by the throat, before the two players are pulled apart.

The incident is an indication of the pressures on the club towards the end of last season, when the prize of Champions League football loomed in front of them.

All or Nothing spoiler

20220817-194203.jpg

For the record, it was glorious. Not sure what I enjoyed more, the defeat at our place or the capitulation at Saudi Sportswashing Machine when they finally realised the game was up. Absolute dejection. Beautiful.

I did chuckle at their CEO at the end. “It’s been a great season with great progress. Yeah there’s a tinge of disappointment that we didn’t get CL but…”

“A tinge of disappointment…” That’s the sort of corporate nonsense I hear every day of the week. Missing CL was a massive sporting failure and massive financial failure and he knew it. That we inflicted it on them made it so fudging sweet.

For the record, it was glorious. Not sure what I enjoyed more, the defeat at our place or the capitulation at Saudi Sportswashing Outpost when they finally realised the game was up. Absolute dejection. Beautiful.

I did chuckle at their CEO at the end. “It’s been a great season with great progress. Yeah there’s a tinge of disappointment that we didn’t get CL but…”

“A tinge of disappointment…” That’s the sort of corporate nonsense I hear every day of the week. Missing CL was a massive sporting failure and massive financial failure and he knew it. That we inflicted it on them made it so fudging sweet.

They absolutely fudged it, had a massive lead at one point.

But they did make progress, at the start of the season they would have bitten your hand off for top 8, let alone almost getting CL.

But they did make progress, at the start of the season they would have bitten your hand off for top 8, let alone almost getting CL.

They were the biggest spenders in europe. They were aiming for cl.

Spent a lot on money on promise though, I'm only going off what my arsenal supporting friends felt.
That doesn’t ring true with the scenes we saw at the start of last season when they were around 8th early on, you’d have thought it was the end of the world and they wanted Arteta out for the most part.

i think there has been a massive amount of moving the goalposts since that bottle job in the last couple of months of the season to try and spin a positive on it.

That doesn’t ring true with the scenes we saw at the start of last season when they were around 8th early on, you’d have thought it was the end of the world and they wanted Arteta out for the most part.

i think there has been a massive amount of moving the goalposts since that bottle job in the last couple of months of the season to try and spin a positive on it.

thats the internet idiots though isn't it, your common or garden arsenal fan is as pessimistic as your average Spurs fan in my experience

Don't think they'd have had your hand off for top 8. They finished 8th the two seasons before and that was seen as disappointing. Think, like us, they would have seen 5th or 6th as par for the course/minor progress and top 4 as real success.

You can't tell me Woolwich started last season expecting to finish behind the likes of Wet Spam, Villa etc.? They very definitely would have expected top 6.

Don't think they'd have had your hand off for top 8. They finished 8th the two seasons before and that was seen as disappointing. Think, like us, they would have seen 5th or 6th as par for the course/minor progress and top 4 as real success.

You can't tell me Woolwich started last season expecting to finish behind the likes of Wet Spam, Villa etc.? They very definitely would have expected top 6.
Nope exactly, but they’ve now re-written the narrative and failure is actually a success!

If you didn't know the situation and you watched that pile of dump you would honestly have thought they were a plucky underdogs, a mid table team punching
When in fact they spent £250m in 2 years and blew it numerous times last year
They have completely got away with any criticism

I only watched as far ep7, but the message from the run of games they lost to Palace/Brighton/SCBC is that they absolutely bottled it.

Back