• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Seems insane that the whole leadership election is being framed around tax cuts for the rich. I guess its all aimed at MPs/party members, but seems massively out of step with the reality of the country out there.

What’s going on in Sri Lanka should be a warning to the government. The UK’s coming cost of living crisis could well lead to serious civil disobedience and unrest.

Rishi's my man, doubt he'll get it. The tax stuff with his wife and partygate will cost him but he seems the most competent. I also hear good things about Penny Mourdant and Ben Wallace but don't know too much about them.
He's been my man for a while now but I find it hard to believe his tax/spend claims given that he's done the polar opposite for so long now. That said, the furlough scheme was a massive social and technological success in a very limited timescale. So he can get stuff done in a way many others can't.

Mourdaunt would make a good PM, as would Zahawi. Both good candidates for different reasons. Dream team would probably be Mourdaunt with Zahawi in No 11

What’s going on in Sri Lanka should be a warning to the government. The UK’s coming cost of living crisis could well lead to serious civil disobedience and unrest.
Are you suggesting the govt should expand the Rwanda scheme to include those who can't behave?

What a great idea.

It is Jenkyns that is displaying small-mindedness, and this one image encapsulates the Tories view of the public perfectly.
I'm glad the Conservative party aren't planning to try and win the votes of halfwits who will never vote for them anyway. That gives them more time to work on what matters - like the abhorrent tax burden we face.

I'm fairly sure most of the grown ups in this country would be quite happy to see people like that insulted in that manner. It's far more recognition than they deserve, but a thoroughly understandable response.

I'm glad the Conservative party aren't planning to try and win the votes of halfwits who will never vote for them anyway. That gives them more time to work on what matters - like the abhorrent tax burden we face.

I'm fairly sure most of the grown ups in this country would be quite happy to see people like that insulted in that manner. It's far more recognition than they deserve, but a thoroughly understandable response.

It's a figurative representation of what the Tories have been doing to British workers for centuries.

Has anyone seen the Penny Mordaunt promo? Vomit inducing. By Christ, she must have had that in the can for ages. What none of them admit to is, it doesn't matter who is elected, it will only be another self serving Tory!

That ship's long sailed.

I'd rather those peasants got the reaction they deserve from an MP in the wrong manner, than not to at all.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an English person do it before. It's just one of those things, like wearing a baseball cap - you think it only belongs on those terrible American programmes on T4

Currently I think that is the case. Brexit is still a massive obstacle, whoever picks up the baton now has financial issues, trade issues, NI to deal with. Also the malaise of government Ministries over the past 5 years. It's all a bit stale and needs reinvigorating. Normally the Tory Leadership election would attract the best MPs they have. Not now. That is a concern.

UK politics probably did attract better people in the last century. Now, the power-hungry end up as MPs. There are many many exceptions and most MPs are very decent, relatively hard-working, and competent. But are they visionaries? Do they have much of an understanding to be in a cabinet and lead the nations? Few who have such credentials would subject themselves to public office I think. Instead they'll earn far more, and have a freer life.

It is just one area of UK politics that needs fixing imo.

Who's missing? Wallace maybe but is he just competent enough to stand out in a field of brick?

Who's missing? Wallace maybe but is he just competent enough to stand out in a field of brick?

Ruth Davidson and Rory Stewart, but both cleverly side-stepped Johnson's reign, so are currently ineligible to stand (but are probably good bets for cabinet posts under a moderate, via the lords)

im no expert on the Torys! MPs like Tobias Ellwood. One nation Conservatives. Essentially what we used to see, rather than the bonkers-Brexit mob. Ellwood would actually have some charisma, sense and show leadership. Could (and probably will) do a lot worse.

I find this graphic useful From least nuts to most nuts, running left to right

3000.jpg

Back