• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Therefore - is it solely down to the playing style and complete lack of attacking direction that people are calling for a change?

In my view the answer to this question is similar to as it was under Mourinho: if a manager of Spurs is going to play painfully dull football, then he needs to have us in the top 4. Anything less, even 5th (given the difference between what 4th and 5th gets you), wont be enough. Therefore Nuno needs to either improve the results or improve the style (or preferably both!).

One problem Nuno has but which is out of his control is that he followed another guy's whose football was terrible, and therefore fans will likely have even less patience for the same again

Unless we fall to say 10th or lower, I think he'll be given the season but I see us finishing in the 6th to 9th range. At that point, if the football is still awful and there are other candidates around, Levy and Paratici will be having a difficult conversation as I suspect they dont see eye to eye

Fans are an interesting bunch. I wonder what Levy thinks about the situation. Would he hold his mind till January 2022? Or the end of the season?

As 'bad' as things are - we are in 6th, two national cups, and 'in Europe'.

6th...but 2 points from 4th and 2 points from 11th. Next 3-4 results could swing sentiment massively in either direction

P.S. I'm not sure still being in the FA Cup is a great achievement!

6th...but 2 points from 4th and 2 points from 11th. Next 3-4 results could swing sentiment massively in either direction

P.S. I'm not sure still being in the FA Cup is a great achievement!
It should
I mean win 3 of them and we have created a gap to teams below us

Kane has switched off

How any goals and Assists have the rest got between them?

Moura has got 17 goals and 9 assists in 111 PL games

3 Of those goals came in 1 game against Huddersfield.
So I ask. Are you saying all 6 are uncoachable, don't offer enough, so your plan is to replace all 6?

As it sounds like that.

If you think Ndombele Lo Celso Moura Bergwijn Gil Kane are average creatively, I don't know where to start.

And what are you saying? 'we start again' ?
I wouldn't call that group particularly creative.

Ndombele is but he's a CM being played as an AM. He has good vision and passing range but he's not a controller or tempo setter (as yet).

Lo Celso is similar, decent range but again I wouldn't say he's a controller.

Moura is not a creative player, he's a dribbler who rarely knows what he's going to do next.

Bergwijn is not creative at all.

Gil looks the part but he's very new to us and inexperienced in general. So who knows how creative he might prove to be.

Kane has vision but it's a certain of creativity, it's mostly finishing touch passes. What we are missing is the begining of moves and the progression towards the finishing touch.

I keep saying we lack a controller because that is what that kind player usually offers. I just don't really see that player in the squad.

The jist if it is the players you're thinking of creative are as group below average in terms of creativity and lacks the key player knit it all together imo .

I wouldn't call that group particularly creative.

Ndombele is but he's a CM being played as an AM. He has good vision and passing range but he's not a controller or tempo setter (as yet).

Lo Celso is similar, decent range but again I wouldn't say he's a controller.

Moura is not a creative player, he's a dribbler who rarely knows what he's going to do next.

Bergwijn is not creative at all.

Gil looks the part but he's very new to us and inexperienced in general. So who knows how creative he might prove to be.

Kane has vision but it's a certain of creativity, it's mostly finishing touch passes. What we are missing is the begining of moves and the progression towards the finishing touch.

I keep saying we lack a controller because that is what that kind player usually offers. I just don't really see that player in the squad.

The jist if it is the players you're thinking of creative are as group below average in terms of creativity and lacks the key player knit it all together imo .
Who would you say fits the bill for that role in other teams?

Who would you say fits the bill for that role in other teams?
United have Pogba and De Beek (he obviously very rarely plays). As well as Bruno as the last touch guy. Which is fine if you have an earlier source of creativity. They also play a very crash bang type of football where they swam and overwhelm. Not the same but a similarity to what Poch had us doing in 2015-2017

Liverpool play a different system but they now have Thiago who is absolutely a controller. Along with Keita who hasn't lived up to expectations but is an option. But their creativity comes from the fulls backs, the extreme quality of their tricky and creative wing forwards and Firminho's link play.

City are overflowing with quality AMs. So I won't bother to mention names but controller wise they have De Bruyne obviously, but with two or 3 others that could fill in that role if needed.

Chelsea have either Jorginiho or Kovacic who play the role along with others in their squad like Mount who can do it at a push.

Edit:
Another thing is even without the controller they all have a range and number of quality creative AMs that can and do work well in the final 3rd, we are desperately lacking in that regard. We really only have Gil to provide that and he is very much an unknown quantity at this point.

United have Pogba and De Beek (he obviously very rarely plays). As well as Bruno as the last touch guy. Which is fine if you have an earlier source of creativity. They also play a very crash bang type of football where they swam and overwhelm. Not the same but a similarity to what Poch had us doing in 2015-2017

Liverpool play a different system but they now have Thiago who is absolutely a controller. Along with Keita who hasn't lived up to expectations but is an option. But their creativity comes from the fulls backs, the extreme quality of their tricky and creative wing forwards and Firminho's link play.

City are overflowing with quality AMs. So I won't bother to mention names but controller wise they have De Bruyne obviously, but with two or 3 others that could fill in that role if needed.

Chelsea have either Jorginiho or Kovacic who play the role along with others in their squad like Mount who can do it at a push.

Edit:
Another thing is even without the controller they all have a range and number of quality creative AMs that can and do work well in the final 3rd, we are desperately lacking in that regard. We really only have Gil to provide that and he is very much an unknown quantity at this point.
Agree with all to them other than the United examples
Pogba yes when he wants to. van der heel is not that kind of player. I’d say McTominay is more is.
But it’s something we’re lacking. I do think we have players who can grow into that role. All the ones you mention are experienced heads

Been thinking. We are 6th. We have played 2 of the best 3 teams in the league at home and already travelled to 2 difficult rivals.

We are above Man U, Everton, Arsenal, Leicester.

Given the lack of investment in attacking areas and the complete shambles of the Kane situation (ongoing with performances) is it fair to say that most would have taken 6th at this point at the start of the season?

Therefore - is it solely down to the playing style and complete lack of attacking direction that people are calling for a change?

Further question then. If we employ a manager with an attacking philosophy, but a squad that doesn’t really have the players to implement just now - will we as supporters be happy if we slip to 10th whilst trying to implement a much better attacking plan?

I think we are fortunate that utd and Leicester are under performing and having their own struggles.
Arsenal and Everton are sides that will go on a run at some stage only for that to fizzle out and they end up fighting it out with us for an EL place.

I think we are fortunate that utd and Leicester are under performing and having their own struggles.
Arsenal and Everton are sides that will go on a run at some stage only for that to fizzle out and they end up fighting it out with us for an EL place.

I don’t think they (United and Leicester) are, they both have bad managers and unbalanced squads.

There are no grey areas any more

Leicester are described in glowing terms one moment with great scouting, excellent manager, 3 striker options... next moment they are struggling and unbalanced.

Apart from the BIG3 everyone is in a state of grey. Anyone could come good or go bad.

I don’t think you could with Poch, it was largely the same as what we’d seen under Sherwood to start with, the real change came when he started bringing the younger players in the league games regularly.

The last manager I can remember who had mixed early results but clearly had a new system which would obviously work in time was AVB.
You missed a VERY important 'not' in your last sentence there... It goes between 'obviously' and 'work'.

Back