• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

The nice bloke tag is a strange one...it wasn't long ago that Poch was being criticised for being too nice and compliant with referees etc. We wanted someone to stand up for us, tell it like it is to the media, we were crying out for a clam to manage us, and he duly arrived.

Nice bloke i.e. he comes across as affable, slightly shy in the media spotlight, embeds himself in the local community, giving money and time to them and always plays things straight. Sounds like a certain Marcelo Bielsa. I bet the Leeds players wouldn't describe him as "nice" but they'd all run through brick walls for him (or they get moved on e.g. Pontus Jansson, lately of Brentford). If we get half of that with Nuno I'll be happy.*

* Actually I'm just happy it's resolved.

Well said but do not hold your breath on that.

Welcome to the best team in football Nuno, lets hope we can all get behind him/you and stop the moaning that has been going on, but sadly there are already a few bitching about you.:(

It was more me venting at some of the vitriol seen on other social media platforms than anyone on here, most peeps on here are a little more measured but some of the other twitter stuff is a disgrace.
Fingers crossed!

My thoughts on Nuno...

When Wolves were in the championship they got a new owner and were a big spending club within that division. So although Nuno did well, the money obviously helped and takes a little bit away from his personal achievement...

Two seasons ago Wolves were my favourite team to watch in the premiership... Full of energy, non stop action and a couple of special players. I know Traore can be a bit hit and miss but it is good to see him pick up the ball and run at people..

Without knowing the situation with Kane, how much money there is to spend and what the general plan is, it is difficult for me to pick a manager who i can say 100% that he is the right man..

In simple terms, maybe Potter would have been the no money but total rebuild job, Conte being the I want £100 million or more on top of what we sell and Nuno somewhere in between... Has shown he can buy well if given a bit of money, has European and Premier league experience, and seems a decent chap who is good at 'man management'...

Like others i am somewhat concerned by Levy's comment about working with this 'talented group of players' as we have all been saying for a while that a lot of the players need to go and not keep changing the manager... Will Nuno be ruthless enough??? However, as somebody did say on here that Levy cant come out and say we need to get rid of 8 players...

I remain optimistic and hope that all should be clear with the team and squad by the first game of the season... Am i confident that that will be the case? Given our recent history, that one is in the balance..

Anyway, at least we have a manager now and can perhaps believe a little more of the rumours linking us with certain players... It would be nice if the bloody weather warmed up as well...

COYS

+1

I will make up his first cheer sung to Amy Winehouse's "Rehab"

"They tried to make me us take Gatusso but we said Nuno, Nuno, Nuno .... "

It's a start.....

Unfortunately you know we'll end up plagiarising the Hugo chant. Not the most inventive bunch Spurs fans :rolleyes:

The old Heurelho Gomes one might be good but scans a bit awkwardly or "He's a Geezer! Portugeezer! Nuno! Nuno! Nuno!"

200.gif

Toby-Rondon-Davies
Doherty---------------------Regulion
Hojgjerg---Skipp
Ndombele

Kane-------Son​

Now i have had time to think about it i am quite excited by what he can do for us, i have not seen a lot of Wolves to be honest but what i have seen they look like a team who play for each other and there seems to be a good chemistry between them ( unlike ours have been for a while). I know Wolves struggled a bit last season but they did lose inportant players with injury.

I really hope ALL fans now pull together and stop bitching and we can look forward to the new season with hope and excitment. As others have said on here this forum has been a lot less bitter about our posistion but from what i have read elsewhere a lot of other places have been toxic ( to say the least).

COYS.

Did Wolves ever press?

My understanding (not a Wolves expert by any means) is no (if you mean Poch/Klopp/Pep style press), they would pressure the ball but not press.

The question is I don't think Nuno is a purist like Poch/Pep, so I'm not sure there will be a direct correlation between what he did with the players he had at his disposal for Wolves vs. players he will have at Spurs.

A few people have commented his Wolves team didn't play the same way as his previous manager positions.

Has anyone read anything on his Wolves Championship team? Even though he had good players, he must have had to play on the front foot there to break down defensive sides.

I’ve seen the Tifo video on Porto, seems he got into too many draws at one point, but was at least flexible in finding solutions to overcome that.

Did Wolves ever press?

From what I've read on him, they didnt ever do full-team presses. What they did more was isolate an opposition full-back and then press him with three Wolves players, bring the nearest CF, nearest CM and opposing full-back.

So it depends on what you mean as 'press'!!

I thought he did an excellent job with Wolves in their first season after promotion. A lot of their success was credited to the manager. If he had been appointed at the end of that season he would have been considered a brave adventurous choice. Wolves couldn't repeat that season, which is quite common for newly appointed teams and there were addition factors (loss of key players, covid, etc). I'd rather look at that first season as a positive sign that he can get a team playing well as a unit. If he had been appointed immediately after Mourinho's sacking, with us paying Wolves compensation, I think I'd have been happy. It's just the way manager search has dragged on that has been a bit dispiriting. Let's hope that he lives up to the name.

I thought he did an excellent job with Wolves in their first season after promotion. A lot of their success was credited to the manager. If he had been appointed at the end of that season he would have been considered a brave adventurous choice. Wolves couldn't repeat that season, which is quite common for newly appointed teams and there were addition factors (loss of key players, covid, etc). I'd rather look at that first season as a positive sign that he can get a team playing well as a unit. If he had been appointed immediately after Mourinho's sacking, with us paying Wolves compensation, I think I'd have been happy. It's just the way manager search has dragged on that has been a bit dispiriting. Let's hope that he lives up to the name.

They got 7th twice in a row. The season before last they matched us on points.

If he had been appointed immediately after Mourinho's sacking, with us paying Wolves compensation, I think I'd have been happy. It's just the way manager search has dragged on that has been a bit dispiriting

Yes, agreed on this, but I think that if come Nov/Dec we're anywhere in the top 6 or 7, playing a reasonable brand of football and there is some cause for optimism, I think people will forget about the time taken to appoint him

Back