• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...anager-search-graham-potter-brighton-analysis

A Deep Dive Into Graham Potter’s Brighton

Style of Play
Brighton typically play in a 3-4-3 formation, with Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster being the heart of defense and one wingback, typically Ben White or the experienced Joel Veltman, slotting in beside them. The tandem force of Pascal Gross and Yves Bissouma make up their midfield pairing, while Danny Welbeck plays a traditional striker role and Neal Maupay and Leandro Trossard have more creative freedom with their positioning. Defensively, they are a high pressing side, but are well trained to withdraw into a medium or low block. When in possession, they build up from the back but can make use of long raking passes from the backline from time to time - more often than not however, their players are looking to create diamonds in the middle and final third and pull off small, quick combination plays.

Brighton in the Defensive Third
It wouldn’t be completely out of line to expect a side placed 17th in the league to have a subpar defensive record. A quick look at the Premier League table’s Goals Against column is the first sign that there’s more than meets the eye in this side - the Seagulls have conceded 41 goals, the same amount as Spurs. Surprisingly, you have to look up to all the way to Arsenal’s 9th place to see a number lower than 41 goals conceded, and their number is only three lower.

In fact, Brighton have conceded less than both Leicester and West Ham, both of which are battling for European spots. Although their number equals that of a chaotic Tottenham side, the sides are different in one key way - BHA have a clear defensive plan they execute every matchweek.

Their 3-4-3 typically turns into a 5-2-3 during the defensive phase.

More in link ..

Have you seen Leicester's squad?

- A lot (a fudge ton) of Leicester's success since that fluke season is based on Vardy, he will be 35 next season, that horse won't run forever
- Iheanacho has done well in 2nd half of this season but would you really bet on him carrying your side?

Top tier strikers are a big difference maker (for me, Kane and Vardy are the difference between us and quite a few clubs like Everton, West Ham, etc.) and Leicester has the only top tier striker in the league outside the established top 6.

I'm with @Bedfordspurs on this one, Leicester will eventually be a poisoned chalice with fans/board expectations, Chelsea won't start next season with Lampard and you would expect Pool to be back up there, if we get a half decent appointment it will be tough for them (especially if they have CL obligations). And even worse than us, they actually fluked the league, so it will be really hard to play down expectations when you have already done it.

I'm not saying he would come (many other considerations) but leaving them now would not harm his reputation any (it would be enhanced) and honestly "failure" (whatever definition) at Spurs won't hurt anyone, after all Jose couldn't do it, easy to play the media narrative and blame it on club ..

For Vardy substitute Kane and like you say we are in a very similar position. All of the potential issues for Leicester re the rest of the PL apply to us as well if we are being honest. This isn't the side that qualified for the CL season after season. It needs quite a bit of surgery to return back to that level and there is no guarantee that it will. If Kane leaves we are probably fudged because I don't trust us to replace him with a top tier striker.

With Rodgers I think it's less about a failure at Spurs hurting his career as much as is Spurs more of a sideways move as opposed to possibly getting a move to one of the genuine giants? Not to say he will get one of those jobs but moving to Spurs probably precludes him then joining say Chelsea or Manchester United anytime soon when he might be thinking potentially of going to one of those jobs next.

His stock is up with Leicester even of they regress a bit it really won't do his career any harm at all but moving to Spurs and failing might. AVB and Ramos are examples. Mourinho was a busted flush before he joined Spurs I don't think his status is particularly relevant.

I'm not so sure that from his POV what he can achieve at Leicester is lesser than he can at Spurs tbh. Leicester in recent years have of course won the PL, are about to qualify ahead us for 2 seasons running potentially earning a CL place next season and of course have the chance at the biggest domestic cup in a few weeks.

Like you say he has a compliant and ambitious board who work very proactively to improve the side any chance they can get.

I'm not saying he should turn Spurs down but I don't think it's as clear cut a decision as some of our fans seem to think it is.

For the likes of Potter or Nuno Santo it's a bit more straightforward or even Lopetugui who while Villarreal are a great side they are one with a quote obvious ceiling.
Ask their fans....
Most think he would jump given the chance and the money on offer
That’s says to me who their fans see it and kinda gets they expect
Don’t get me wrong their owners would offer money to keep him but this is Rogers who believes in himself more than most
Personally I think there is better out there in people like Potter who have developed system and styles
Rogers has inherited some great players and done great with them. Guess a key would be what happens if anything goes wrong and how he and they react.

For Vardy substitute Kane and like you say we are in a very similar position. All of the potential issues for Leicester re the rest of the PL apply to us as well if we are being honest. This isn't the side that qualified for the CL season after season. It needs quite a bit of surgery to return back to that level and there is no guarantee that it will. If Kane leaves we are probably fudged because I don't trust us to replace him with a top tier striker.

With Rodgers I think it's less about a failure at Spurs hurting his career as much as is Spurs more of a sideways move as opposed to possibly getting a move to one of the genuine giants? Not to say he will get one of those jobs but moving to Spurs probably precludes him then joining say Chelsea or Manchester United anytime soon when he might be thinking potentially of going to one of those jobs next.

His stock is up with Leicester even of they regress a bit it really won't do his career any harm at all but moving to Spurs and failing might. AVB and Ramos are examples. Mourinho was a busted flush before he joined Spurs I don't think his status is particularly relevant.

I see all of that, the issue is those jobs, i.e. Chelsea/United will not be on the table for at least another season.

And I disagree, if Leicester has a mid table season it will affect his stock ..

We will see.

I see all of that, the issue is those jobs, i.e. Chelsea/United will not be on the table for at least another season.

And I disagree, if Leicester has a mid table season it will affect his stock ..

We will see.
Rogers will always jump ship for a bigger job
He has that confidence in himself

Rogers will always jump ship for a bigger job
He has that confidence in himself

Limited risk for us though if he joins. Where would he go? Won't go back to Liverpool, Man C will always go for a more celebrity manager, Cheatski (richer, but step up?) also generally go for foreign named managers,...would Utd go for him? Perhaps, but its low risk I think

Limited risk for us though if he joins. Where would he go? Won't go back to Liverpool, Man C will always go for a more celebrity manager, Cheatski (richer, but step up?) also generally go for foreign named managers,...would Utd go for him? Perhaps, but its low risk I think

The Ireland or Scotland job would perhaps be the obvious options, if he didn't fancy going back to Palace/Southampton/West Ham level.

Ask their fans....
Most think he would jump given the chance and the money on offer
That’s says to me who their fans see it and kinda gets they expect
Don’t get me wrong their owners would offer money to keep him but this is Rogers who believes in himself more than most
Personally I think there is better out there in people like Potter who have developed system and styles
Rogers has inherited some great players and done great with them. Guess a key would be what happens if anything goes wrong and how he and they react.

I think Rodgers would entirely come down to whether he thinks Spurs have genuine ambitions to be title challengers during the course of his reign. If we do, I think he’d come. If we don’t, I don’t think he will. The gap between us and Leicester just isn’t big enough right now, they are paying him well, and are well run.

I think a lot of Managers may be wondering if Poch was the reason we got so close, and actually under ENIC our real level is 6th, 4th if we are lucky. And so I think many good managers may be thinking they are on a hiding to nothing, 4th being the best they can realistically hope for, which only gets us kind of back to where we were in our lowest point of the Poch cycle.

I compare our proposition in the market to Chelsea. They have a smaller stadium than us, but they pay big wages and make big signings. There is the clear ambition to compete for the biggest trophies. What could be a nice thing about our job is that if a Manager succeeds, and establishes us back at the top of the country, there is no better job to go to. But if managers sense they will be constrained, that affects who we can get.

Having to follow Poch under the constraints we have I don’t think is an appealing task for Managers that want to be in the big jobs, if indeed we do have those constraints. I can completely see Rodgers holding on for United or Chelsea in that instance.

Last edited:
We’re the right size club for him on the basis he hasn’t won anything in a major league

I think Rodgers would entirely come down to whether he thinks Spurs have genuine ambitions to be title challengers during the course of his reign. If we do, I think he’d come. If we don’t, I don’t think he will. The gap between us and Leicester just isn’t big enough right now, they are paying him well, and are well run.

I think a lot of Managers may be wondering if Poch was the reason we got so close, and actually under ENIC are real level is 6th, 4th if we are lucky. And so I think many good managers may be thinking they are on a hiding to nothing, 4th being the best they can realistically hope for, which only gets us kind of back to where we were in our lowest point of the Poch cycle.

I compare our proposition in the market to Chelsea. They have a smaller stadium than us, but they pay big wages and make big signings. There is the clear ambition to compete for the biggest trophies. What could be a nice thing about our job is that if a Manager succeeds, and establishes us back at the top of the country, there is no better job to go to. But if managers sense they will be constrained, that affects who we can get.

Having to follow Poch under the constraints we have I don’t think is an appealing task for Managers that want to be in the big jobs, if indeed we do have those constraints. I can completely see Rodgers holding on for United or Chelsea in that instance.
He didn’t join Leicester because they were gonna win the title
He joined as they paid him more
Managers want to be paid
Conte is angling for a pay rise after winning the league at inter knowing their skint
Ole got a pay rise after winning nothing
He wouldn’t be following Poch he would be following Jose
Last summer when we were doing we backed the manager (I don’t know how TBH)
This summer with a new manager we will back the manager
And personally I’d prefer Potter. He abs shown a variety of ways of play in his style and has improved quite average players which I haven’t seen from memory from Rogers

I think Rodgers would entirely come down to whether he thinks Spurs have genuine ambitions to be title challengers during the course of his reign

This nails it.
Rodgers strikes me as having the belief and confidence in himself that he can manage a team to win the premier league. (He’s already come very close). But he comes across as clever enough to wait for a club that gives him the best chance of doing that.

I think a lot of Managers may be wondering if Poch was the reason we got so close, and actually under ENIC are real level is 6th, 4th if we are lucky. And so I think many good managers may be thinking they are on a hiding to nothing, 4th being the best they can realistically hope for, which only gets us kind of back to where we were in our lowest point of the Poch cycle.

You can not compare our situation to Chelski , they have been financially doped for years, we have had to start from a position a lot worse off then them.

This nails it.
Rodgers strikes me as having the belief and confidence in himself that he can manage a team to win the premier league. (He’s already come very close). But he comes across as clever enough to wait for a club that gives him the best chance of doing that.
The clubs that have the money to win the league wouldn’t IMO appoint a manager who hasn’t won a BIG trophy unless there desperate

Back