• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Randomly received an invite for my covid jab today, I have sleep epilepsy so guessing that must count as an underlying condition. Booked in for Friday.

good stuff, my wife has epilepsy so hoping she gets hers this week. If you have a significant other they can probably also ask the GP for vaccination as a carer given epilepsy is a recognised disability.

Just had a call from my GP surgery, I'm now booked in for both first and second jabs, first one next week.

did they say when the second one would be? Is it 3 months across the board for all?

I ask because my parents got Pfizer but in-laws got Ox/AZ not sure if there's a difference in timeframe?

did they say when the second one would be? Is it 3 months across the board for all?

I ask because my parents got Pfizer but in-laws got Ox/AZ not sure if there's a difference in timeframe?

My second one is booked for 12 weeks later, to the day. I don't know which one I'm getting, and don't know if my GP surgery would know either as the vaccination centre is not at the surgery, so I assume it's the same timeframe for both.
I'll ask when I go if the gap is the same for both vaccine types.

My second one is booked for 12 weeks later, to the day. I don't know which one I'm getting, and don't know if my GP surgery would know either as the vaccination centre is not at the surgery, so I assume it's the same timeframe for both.
I'll ask when I go if the gap is the same for both vaccine types.

just read a BBC Story from Jan and yes seems to be both vaccines 12 weeks apart. All the best with it!

Israel started doing 2nd doses of Pfizer jab about a fortnight ago...

thanks for sharing. So given we have started vaccinations but second doses won't really start until end of March i think, we're still some way off seeing a big benefit then no? Given the second dose seems to be the way forward?

This is based on the fact i assume Israel's second dose is more in line with original guidance whereas ours is 3 months apart?

thanks for sharing. So given we have started vaccinations but second doses won't really start until end of March i think, we're still some way off seeing a big benefit then no? Given the second dose seems to be the way forward?

This is based on the fact i assume Israel's second dose is more in line with original guidance whereas ours is 3 months apart?
Israel are using exclusively the Pfizer vaccine for which there is currently minimal data on efficacy of 1st dose beyond 3 weeks; although we’re about to begin a trial to see whether longer intervals improve efficacy.

https://www.uclhospitals.brc.nihr.a...-vaccine-alternating-dose-study-launches-uclh
The world’s first COVID-19 vaccine study researching alternating doses and intervals of approved vaccines is taking place at UCLH.

The study will determine the effects of using a different vaccine for the second dose to the first dose, in addition to two different intervals between doses.

UK is mostly administering AstraZeneca vaccine, for which Oxford University have shown that immunity persists from weeks 3 to 12 (slightly improves in fact) and that dosing interval has now been approved by World Health Organisation.

https://www.who.int/news-room/featu...zeneca-covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know
How efficacious is the vaccine?

The AZD1222 vaccine against COVID-19 has an efficacy of 63.09% against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Longer dose intervals within the 8 to 12 weeks range are associated with greater vaccine efficacy.

That's incorrect; we're seeing a massive benefit already, see Marky's posts

That's incorrect; we're seeing a massive benefit already, see Marky's posts
This.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ns-covid-vaccine-over-80s-deaths-fall-england
Deaths from coronavirus have fallen by 62% among over-80s since 24 January, the point at which a third of that age group had some level of immunity against coronavirus, having received their first vaccine dose at least two weeks earlier, data analysis by the Guardian showed.

Prof David Spiegelhalter, the chair of the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication at the University of Cambridge, said the effect was significant enough not to be a result of lockdown alone. “Deaths in over-70s are now falling faster than in younger age groups, which is very encouraging and is likely to be influenced by vaccination – there has been a steep decline in outbreaks in care homes,” he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56083905
England's vaccination programme is starting to pay off, with the over-80s age group now the most likely to test positive for coronavirus antibodies, Office for National Statistics testing suggests.
People have antibodies to Covid if they've had an infection in the last few months or if they have been vaccinated. Previously, younger age groups who were more likely to be exposed to the virus were the most likely to test positive for antibodies.
In England, 41% of over-80s tested positive for antibodies, which the ONS said was "most likely due to the high vaccination rate in this group". Two weeks ago that figure was 26%.

A friend of ours has had her letter calling her for her jab. She cannot work out why as she doesn't fall into any of the groups and as far as she knows is 40 yrs old and healthy.
A huge ethical decision to be made there that may define the rest of her life (I'm possibly overstating this).

Last edited:
Back