• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Wolves ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The easier games are coming. We will, hopefully, win some games and all of this will be forgotten by many. Not by me it won't. We can never win anything with this strategy. We did the same with Crystal focking Palace and now Wolves. I agree we might be on the counter against Liverpool and City, but this, this was horrific. At one point I was actually rooting for Wolves to score, get our punishment, lose the points and maybe play different in the future. How many? How many points do we need to drop to understand this isn't the way? Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Palace and Wolves spring to mind. 8 points take a look were we would be with them, not even considering the draw we lost with Pool. Big teams win matches in the last 10 minutes, we lose them, something needs to change.

So the player do understand his ideas? land their not executing them right unless you think his ideas are let ,en run off us at set pieces and score or give away silly pelanties

They understand them and are following them. When we were playing well, it was unsustainable. If you invite pressure, you will make mistakes, particularly if players are fatigued.

They understand them and are following them. When we were playing well, it was unsustainable. If you invite pressure, you will make mistakes, particularly if players are fatigued.
But the mistakes were making arguably aren’t due to fatigue
Look at Leicester
That penalty wasn’t fatigue, it was stupidity
The second goal was several errors but an unchallenged header got that goal
Today it was a great header TBF but arguably he was left unchallenged and yet he was their main set piece goal threat.
Maybe you could argue mental fatigue from having to play a style that needs a high concentration level

I don’t think he should be free of criticism, but why do you think every manager who comes in wants a few transfer windows to get their own players in? To get the players that fit their ethos/system and in Mourinhos case a specific type of meteorology too. Poch said a painful rebuild was needed, and whether you agree or disagree with him being sacked the fact hasn’t changed this squad needs a massive overhaul that started in the summer window for Mourinho to get the team functioning exactly how he wants....

But he was brought in with a remit! He said he was happy! And even then we have bought loads for him to feel happier! No, sorry, he has to step up and accept a major part of this.

He has them scared to play beyond instruction. They have seen what happens to players who don't. He has players scared to make a mistake going forwards/being positive (besides Ndombele thankfully).

This I agree with, our attackers and midfielders are rather meh but it isn't helped by the overly defensive tactics and questioned selection choices made. Ndombele should play in CM as neither Winks nor Sissoko up to the required level. Once that happens we can work out what other problems the squad has.

We still don’t have a 10 which means Kane drops deep to get the ball.

Sissoko and Winks are so limited, they get flustered under pressure and lose the ball or put a pressure pass onto someone else.

Even with Mopo these were still issues, one of the reasons he kept playing Christian

We desperately need these two positions filled.

But he was brought in with a remit! He said he was happy! And even then we have bought loads for him to feel happier! No, sorry, he has to step up and accept a major part of this.

He has them scared to play beyond instruction. They have seen what happens to players who don't. He has players scared to make a mistake going forwards/being positive (besides Ndombele thankfully).
I’m not saying he shouldn’t take any responsibility, and billyiddo is right that when results don’t come Mourinho is going to cop some flak. I just think that it’s going to take a while for us to turn into the machine Mourinho wants. Also let’s remember it’s not a complete disaster, we’re going through a tough period and we are 6 points off top.
I’ll challenge you on the scared to play beyond instruction - I noticed yesterday that Winks was trying to play a hell of a lot more balls forwards rather than sideways, didn’t always work but clearly something he’s been told to do. And you mention NDombele, there’s Lo Celso too who is happy to take risks and is good at it and Mourinho plays these players when they are fit. The fact is one of NDombele or Lo Celso always seem to be injured or not fit enough to last a whole match and the drop off in quality from those two is noticeable,would make a massive difference if the Sabitzer talk is true.
But regardless, Mourinho has to earn his corn now. He is not stupid, and I don’t buy that his tactic is literally to just park the bus every game. Yes of course the players are being coached to play in a more pragmatic style, but I’d say what Harry Brooks says could be accurate that the players aren’t fully getting how to do it yet. Mourinhos interview after the game supported this, he’s not stupid and wouldn’t just tell them to sit back for 89 minutes as they’d taken an early lead. We have seen patches of games including yesterday’s where the play has been good,this needs to be transmitted into more substantial performances.
The potential is still there for a good season despite this current negativity, but it’s most definitely on Mourinho to make it happen. COYS....

We still don’t have a 10 which means Kane drops deep to get the ball.

Sissoko and Winks are so limited, they get flustered under pressure and lose the ball or put a pressure pass onto someone else.

Even with Mopo these were still issues, one of the reasons he kept playing Christian

We desperately need these two positions filled.

Agree that Ndombele isn't a classic 10 who keeps the ball moving quickly. He gets the ball and bursts at the opposition. I dont see Mourinho ever playing Ndombele alongside PEH in a 2 man CM though. The box-to-box cm gap is more urgent IMO

I’m not saying he shouldn’t take any responsibility, and billyiddo is right that when results don’t come Mourinho is going to cop some flak. I just think that it’s going to take a while for us to turn into the machine Mourinho wants. Also let’s remember it’s not a complete disaster, we’re going through a tough period and we are 6 points off top.
I’ll challenge you on the scared to play beyond instruction - I noticed yesterday that Winks was trying to play a hell of a lot more balls forwards rather than sideways, didn’t always work but clearly something he’s been told to do. And you mention NDombele, there’s Lo Celso too who is happy to take risks and is good at it and Mourinho plays these players when they are fit. The fact is one of NDombele or Lo Celso always seem to be injured or not fit enough to last a whole match and the drop off in quality from those two is noticeable,would make a massive difference if the Sabitzer talk is true.
But regardless, Mourinho has to earn his corn now. He is not stupid, and I don’t buy that his tactic is non-figuratively to just park the bus every game. Yes of course the players are being coached to play in a more pragmatic style, but I’d say what Harry Brooks says could be accurate that the players aren’t fully getting how to do it yet. Mourinhos interview after the game supported this, he’s not stupid and wouldn’t just tell them to sit back for 89 minutes as they’d taken an early lead. We have seen patches of games including yesterday’s where the play has been good,this needs to be transmitted into more substantial performances.
The potential is still there for a good season despite this current negativity, but it’s most definitely on Mourinho to make it happen. COYS....

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, Kane is going through a rough patch at the moment and our counter-attacking play demands a very high level of performance from two or three players to be effective. I'd add that Mourinho tried to tweak his system yesterday, which would indicate that he knows there's a problem. Unfortunately, we're depending on Kane and Son a lot and when they're not in goalscoring form, the results aren't the same.

Mourinho is obviously the kind of manager who believes it's easier to fix the defensive side of things so he's working on that. The rest will need to sort itself out or be sorted during the transfer window. Unfortunately, unless Bale gets back to his best we don't have many proven goalscorers in the team: aside from Alli, I'm not sure any of our players have ever hit double figures in a single PL season...

Whichever way you look at it, Bergwijn, Lamela, Winks and Lo Celso won't score the goals we need... unless you expect to scrap 1-0 wins every now and then, which was probably the plan yesterday.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, Kane is going through a rough patch at the moment and our counter-attacking play demands a very high level of performance from two or three players to be effective. I'd add that Mourinho tried to tweak his system yesterday, which would indicate that he knows there's a problem. Unfortunately, we're depending on Kane and Son a lot and when they're not in goalscoring form, the results aren't the same.

Mourinho is obviously the kind of manager who believes it's easier to fix the defensive side of things so he's working on that. The rest will need to sort itself out or be sorted during the transfer window. Unfortunately, unless Bale gets back to his best we don't have many proven goalscorers in the team: aside from Alli, I'm not sure any of our players have ever hit double figures in a single PL season...

Whichever way you look at it, Bergwijn, Lamela, Winks and Lo Celso won't score the goals we need... unless you expect to scrap 1-0 wins every now and then, which was probably the plan yesterday.
I don’t know what is going on between him and Dele, but the great “man manager” needs to fix it up and get him playing. We have a very good squad and we are into Jose’s second season, usually his peak one. We are faltering big time in the League, a worrying trend of results against mediocre sides and a couple of good results aside, not looked convincing in most games in the league this season. We are performing better in the cup competitions where Jose appears to still be the master of the one off game. Maybe trophy starved fans are willing to sacrifice league consistency for a cup but for me the former is the real barometer of progress.

I’m sure everyone knows that Jose is not a squad building type manager. He brings in short term success. So he is used to buying players and making them into a team very quickly. If we don’t look likely title contenders under him this season then I don’t think we will ever be.

Last edited:
I don’t know what is going on between him and Dele, but the great “man manager” needs to fix it up and get him playing. We have a very good squad and we are into a Jose’s second season, usually his peak one. We are faltering big time in the League, a worrying trend of results against mediocre sides and a couple of good results aside, not looked convincing in most games in the league this season. We are performing better in the cup competition where Jose appears to still be the master of the one off game. Maybe trophy starved fans are willing to sacrifice league consistency for a cup but for me the former is the real barometer of progress.

I’m sure everyone knows that Jose is not a squad building type manager. He brings in short term success. So he is used to buying players and making them into a team very quickly. If we don’t look likely title contenders under him this season then I don’t think we will ever be.
I think I would accept that. In fact, it is the Faustian pact that a lot of fans have made, trading football enjoyment for the climax of a trophy. This team is not winning the league bar some fluke of results. Our play does not warrant a league title so it's a cup or nothing.

I don’t know what is going on between him and Dele, but the great “man manager” needs to fix it up and get him playing. We have a very good squad and we are into a Jose’s second season, usually his peak one. We are faltering big time in the League, a worrying trend of results against mediocre sides and a couple of good results aside, not looked convincing in most games in the league this season. We are performing better in the cup competition where Jose appears to still be the master of the one off game. Maybe trophy starved fans are willing to sacrifice league consistency for a cup but for me the former is the real barometer of progress.

Wouldn’t argue with most of that, except the last bit about its this season or never for us looking like title contenders under him. He has constantly spoke about the long term here, and whilst you can say that’s just typical talk that doesn’t mean anything I’m not so sure. People always reference he hasn’t stayed anywhere for more than three/four seasons but they are at clubs where anything less than winning the titles is a failure. Whilst the expectation is high here due to our progression on and off the pitch, if he doesn’t win the league he’s not going to get sacked - it’s not a Real Madrid, Chelsea type of pressure. The environment here is completely different, and personally I think next season after two more transfer windows is when we will really see where we are under him. As a side note I’ll also say whether people want him gone or not, he won’t be going anywhere for a good while - the way Levy looks at him, I honestly think he worships him:D....

I think I would accept that. In fact, it is the Faustian pact that a lot of fans have made, trading football enjoyment for the climax of a trophy. This team is not winning the league bar some fluke of results. Our play does not warrant a league title so it's a cup or nothing.
We haven’t seen consistently good football for a long time now, since the first season at Wembley maybe? At least a couple of years anyway.

I think I would accept that. This team is not winning the league bar some fluke of results. Our play does not warrant a league title. In fact, it is the Faustian pact that a lot of fans have made, trading football enjoyment for the climax of a trophy.
My concern is we have been here before with cup wins albeit more than a decade since the last one. League and champions league gives us a platform to build on and it’s important we get that right, the cups just bring short term joy but have never really brought us success to build on in the bigger competitions.

Back