• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

OK - let's try something different...

Considering that Winks is supposed to be the metronome of the team, from whom our plays starts, please can you explain what difference N'Dombele would do to his game? It's not as if the Frenchman will attract opponents to him and leave Winks free, because he is already free more often than not as our deepest midfielder. Especially against teams that park the bus like Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Will the presence of N'Dombele suddenly provide Winks with Iniesta like vision or Modric like urgency? Of course it won't - that can only come from the player himself! The only benefit of N'Dombele is that he could possibly start doing what Winks should be doing himself.

But then the solution would not be N'Dombele with Winks but N'Dombele instead of Winks.

It’s simple
One can pass but needs runners to pass too
The other can dribble and pass
Their a complimentary pair
Sissoko can’t pass very well and IMO can hinder our attacks because of that as he slows us down (yes some of our best play came from him)

I still believe there is a good player in him but at the moment the whole team is playing this side wards/backwards passing and its not helping. The defense is shocking at the moment and Winks is being dragged further back all the time.

As i have said elsewhere i can not remember ( for a while) us looking so poor as a team and we seem afraid of passing the ball forward. Is this down to Poch?? if so then again as i have said elsewhere he needs to rethink it.

It’s simple
One can pass but needs runners to pass too
The other can dribble and pass
Their a complimentary pair
Sissoko can’t pass very well and IMO can hinder our attacks because of that as he slows us down (yes some of our best play came from him)

Sorry - but I think that is so wrong on many counts. For a start the runners in question will be the likes of Son, Lamela, Kane, Moura etc - who were all playing yesterday. N'Dombele's game is not making runs into space but carrying ball into space and releasing other players when the opponents swarm towards him. In other words what Winks should be doing.

As for the "Sissoko can't pass" ridiculous assertion, the Frenchman produced 3 assists and 4 big chances compared to 0 and 0 for Winks, starting from practically the same position. Indeed I much prefer Sissoko's passing which (maybe because he knows his limitations in keeping possession) tend to be immediate, first time and forward.

Unless Winks increases the urgency of his game and - above all - the incisiveness of his passing, you could put Pirlo next to him and it will not make a difference.

Not entirely down to Winksie though is it? He could pass forward all day long but if there's no one there to get on the other end of it ...

Then in that case, as I said, it will make no difference changing whoever is the pivot next to him because the issue is Winks unable to find the attacking midfielders and forwards - for whatever reason (and as you say, maybe not fully due to him).

Sorry - but I think that is so wrong on many counts. For a start the runners in question will be the likes of Son, Lamela, Kane, Moura etc - who were all playing yesterday. N'Dombele's game is not making runs into space but carrying ball into space and releasing other players when the opponents swarm towards him. In other words what Winks should be doing.

As for the "Sissoko can't pass" ridiculous assertion, the Frenchman produced 3 assists and 4 big chances compared to 0 and 0 for Winks, starting from practically the same position. Indeed I much prefer Sissoko's passing which (maybe because he knows his limitations in keeping possession) tend to be immediate, first time and forward.

Unless Winks increases the urgency of his game and - above all - the incisiveness of his passing, you could put Pirlo next to him and it will not make a difference.

Sissoko created most of his chances when playing right back not CM and he never plays the deepest man in CM

Answer I said NDombele is a dribbler... that’s what he has been great at. You play him with another CM who can pass too and he should be so much more effective

Not sure why winks is getting so much criticism after yesterday. No ideas? Playing it safe? Think the same could be said for every player on the pitch

Because people have no idea what his role is.
Same way Modric got stick for 2 seasons because they were told when he joined he was a number 10. "Where are his goals and assists!?!"
Same way Jenas got stick because no one understands midfielders.

Unless Winks sprays pointless 'diags' around they wont be happy.

Son and Lucas where hopeless on saturday made no runs and just waiting for someone else to create something. Yet Son can do no wrong and Lucas scored against Ajax.

Because people have no idea what his role is.
Same way Modric got stick for 2 seasons because they were told when he joined he was a number 10. "Where are his goals and assists!?!"
Same way Jenas got stick because no one understands midfielders.

Unless Winks sprays pointless 'diags' around they wont be happy.

Son and Lucas where hopeless on saturday made no runs and just waiting for someone else to create something. Yet Son can do no wrong and Lucas scored against Ajax.

Come on mate, you and @Southstand323 ?

- Winks is being carried, he did nothing that an academy player couldn't do, waste time on ball, pass sideways, neat triangles, fail to protect the back four, fail to distribute the ball quickly. And he's doing it in a position we can't afford a passenger.
- Jenas got stick because he never (other than the occasional game against the Scum) played to the level of his talent (something he quite regularly admits himself)
- Lucas and Son win matches .. explains a bit of why they get a pass

What is Winks role? DM, CM, AM? I don't understand because he's doing none of it well

Poch used Mason and Bentaleb in Winks position and both (at least Mason) were more limited players, but they did a job because the recirculated the ball quickly and more often than not forward. Winks is not doing that, he seems to playing a "don't fudge it up" game vs. trying to help us win, and this isn't about creativity, this is about understanding you are playing against limited opposition, take a risk, push forward, get the ball to someone who can pass if you can't.

Back