• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

The complication comes when no one comes in for him, and he doesnt indicate a willingness to sign a deal.

What then? Do we sell at a reduced fee? Or gamble on convincing him to stay and risk losing him on a free? (ditto Eriksen)

If no-one comes in for him now it won't be because of the fee so selling later at a reduced fee doesn't seem logical and my best guess is he'll leave on a free at the end of the season. Getting a whole season out of him could work out better financially for Spurs than letting him leave in January for 15m.

If no-one comes in for him now it won't be because of the fee so selling later at a reduced fee doesn't seem logical and my best guess is he'll leave on a free at the end of the season. Getting a whole season out of him could work out better financially for Spurs than letting him leave in January for 15m.

I agree
Him leaving on a free after 5/6 years and being 32 is fair and we would have had some great service
That’s a great £11m investment in this day and age

I agree, particularly given our full-back options look like they could be a bit inexperienced - we'll need a solid CB pairing

Roma have openly stated they dont want him at £25m, but would be willing to do a deal for less.

So it is entirely possible in a few weeks time we decide to cut our losses, IMO, and sell him cheaper than we would now. Dependant on him not wanting to sign a new deal...

The question is, as you say, where we see more value. £15m for him now, or nothing later but we have him for the season.

The latter relying on him playing well while trying to find a new club - something that Eriksen appears to have failed at...

Roma have openly stated they dont want him at £25m, but would be willing to do a deal for less.

So it is entirely possible in a few weeks time we decide to cut our losses, IMO, and sell him cheaper than we would now. Dependant on him not wanting to sign a new deal...

The question is, as you say, where we see more value. £15m for him now, or nothing later but we have him for the season.

The latter relying on him playing well while trying to find a new club - something that Eriksen appears to have failed at...

Just can’t see us doing that
I can see us doing what we have done so far
£25M or nothing
We don’t want him gone and we don’t need to sell

We will find out eventually.

Obviously I hope he signs a new deal and everything settles down.

Though if that doesnt happen, and I were a betting man - Id suggest Levy would rather some money than none, and sell rather than lose for free.

We will find out eventually.

Obviously I hope he signs a new deal and everything settles down.

Though if that doesnt happen, and I were a betting man - Id suggest Levy would rather some money than none, and sell rather than lose for free.

Why though? He could have sold Llorente after giving him a new contract
We just let Trippier go for a reasonable price
IMO Levy would look at him being on a lower wage for another year as a huge saving

Llorente is a B team player, small fry, so much less a consideration.

Trippier was a reasonable price, not expensive nor cheap, probably about right. He still represented a significant profit - Im not sure what the point is here?

If Levy has the choice of £15m now, and nothing later - I think theres every possibility he chooses £15m now. I dont think thats a crazy thing to suggest, we know what he is like.

It might be that a year extra out of Alderweireld is preferred, probably at Pochs insistence I would imagine, but that does rely on Alderweireld keeping his head in the game and performing well. Something that could also be a consideration.

Llorente is a B team player, small fry, so much less a consideration.

Trippier was a reasonable price, not expensive nor cheap, probably about right. He still represented a significant profit - Im not sure what the point is here?

If Levy has the choice of £15m now, and nothing later - I think theres every possibility he chooses £15m now. I dont think thats a crazy thing to suggest, we know what he is like.

It might be that a year extra out of Alderweireld is preferred, probably at Pochs insistence I would imagine, but that does rely on Alderweireld keeping his head in the game and performing well. Something that could also be a consideration.

Or Levy considers that replacing him would cost more money that coins be prioritised this season elsewhere

And that keeping him helps to develop others

So a 2m a season outlay for him is a great deal plus of course his low wages (a replacement could want more)

It’s a different spurs now IMO and everyone seems to default to what may have happened in the past... where was the past in football is not relevant to the future (just ask arsenal and united)

I think Poch might well be the deciding factor, Levy is happy to trust him it seems. But, also, with out big business this summer (happened and expected) it could be that £££ really is more important.

Levy hasnt changed that much, and he is still a money man at heart, so Im comfortable with my position on this.

As I said, time will tell.

If he does stay and see out his contract we could argue that we're 8 - 12 million or so up on where we would've been over the course of those two years with the reported contract offer that he rejected (no idea what he is on now and was offered - but I assume somewhere in the £50k to £80k spread for wages now and £120k to £170k offered).

Last edited:
The complication comes when no one comes in for him, and he doesnt indicate a willingness to sign a deal.

What then? Do we sell at a reduced fee? Or gamble on convincing him to stay and risk losing him on a free? (ditto Eriksen)
we dont do anything.......it's all up to Toby.

The only thing that might bother him is 'plodding' along on 60k a week.

Especially if he's never fancied going to China to play wages catch-up.

I hope he does stay ( even if he does not sign a new contract with us), we have two CB's in Foyth and Sanchez who will benefit from having Toby around.

Be madness to sell even if he walks on a free next year.

From a footballing perspective, what would that achieve?

It would weaken the team, we wouldn’t have time to replace.

Back