• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

So what do we need?

#1 has to be a CM
#2 an attacking player, if Eriksen goes, an expereinced one.
#3 a RB but we need to sell or loan some of the existing crop. I really think Foyth could be the rotation option at RB. He has the tools.
#4 a new CB, or could Carter-Vickers step up? Only 21 its a big ask. Both he and Sanchez need games. I'm not sure we are the best place for either at the moment. They probablly need a couple of seasons playing every game in a lesser team.

I believe it’s a priority as when you see the games he has had to play and the way we have had to change our game it doesn’t always help (and lamppost has scored important goals)

I have no problem replacing Llorente but its pointless looking for a top CF as they will not come, they would wonder how many games they would get once Kane is fit. As we said if we can find a youngster who is happy to play on occasion then that would be ideal, however i am not sure that would be easy to do.

Yes sensibly lowballed a club in a financial corner, who would have had to accept.....

Then the new owner came along and the playing field changed. Will still offered good money if comparing with Madison. ie top level championship midfielder.

There is nothing to beat him with here.
The offer we eventually put in late in the transfer window for Grealish was considerably higher than the amount we could’ve got him for earlier in the window. It was exactly the same with Berahino a few years ago.

I have no problem replacing Llorente but its pointless looking for a top CF as they will not come, they would wonder how many games they would get once Kane is fit. As we said if we can find a youngster who is happy to play on occasion then that would be ideal, however i am not sure that would be easy to do.

Agreed
It’s why I have said about Mitrovic

Foyth may be the answer to our RB but not a certain, i would rather we bought in one who is used to that position. As for Aurier i am not against him getting another run in the side but its difficult to say if he will be given the chance.

Trippier had a very good W/C but i do think we have seen the best of him ( he will 29 in a few months).

We have too many 'rotation' RBs. Squad right backs. None of whom are world beaters. We are clearly trying to sell Trips. Walker-Peters is decent going forward but not switched on enough defensively. He needs a season long loan imo. Foyth is a decent defender. And has some technical skill, passing, dribble - hopefully without a lunge at the end :) Ideally we'd sign a new fast RB and Foyth could rotate with them. As for Aurier if we can sell him I would. I keep thinking he'll come good, but he's just got a mistake a game in him, his awareness defensively is not there.

This is the Liverpool that very clearly waited for precisely the players they wanted, rather than second rate alternatives, correct? Also the Liverpool that had the Coutinho money burning a hole?

Again, not suggesting we shouldn’t make signings, I’m just saying appreciate the context of the time.
To be fair it seemed as though Pochettino wanted Grealish.

I actually think Mitrovic is a decent player and one who is a handful to play against, would he be happy sat on the bench more often then not though?

We would be the best team he could ever hope to play for though
He would also get 20 games a season or more judging by our record

That’s a lot of games for a “reserve”

And we can agree to let him go in future if things don’t work out

We have too many 'rotation' RBs. Squad right backs. None of whom are world beaters. We are clearly trying to sell Trips. Walker-Peters is decent going forward but not switched on enough defensively. He needs a season long loan imo. Foyth is a decent defender. And has some technical skill, passing, dribble - hopefully without a lunge at the end :) Ideally we'd sign a new fast RB and Foyth could rotate with them. As for Aurier if we can sell him I would. I keep thinking he'll come good, but he's just got a mistake a game in him, his awareness defensively is not there.

Meunière is class and deceptively quick.

We would be the best team he could ever hope to play for though
He would also get 20 games a season or more judging by our record

That’s a lot of games for a “reserve”

And we can agree to let him go in future if things don’t work out

Fair enough, i have just seen he is only 24 ( thought he was older then that) so maybe it would not be such a bad signing.

Fair enough, i have just seen he is only 24 ( thought he was older then that) so maybe it would not be such a bad signing.

Some people thought he got fat at Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Can’t say I remember that to be honest but I do know he has a good record, is a fighter and can lead the line

Meunière is class and deceptively quick.

Problem with buying from the likes of PSG is their rejects are rarely good enough for us. Moura an exception as they were overloaded in his position. As a rule of thumb if PSG are willing to let a player go, we probably don't want them either! We need to buy players who are on the up instead.

Problem with buying from the likes of PSG is their rejects are rarely good enough for us. Moura an exception as they were overloaded in his position. As a rule of thumb if PSG are willing to let a player go, we probably don't want them either! We need to buy players who are on the up instead.

PSG have no strategy though and he was getting plenty of games

I do think that another problem with our transfer inactivity last year is that most people are agreed we now potentially need 3-5 players:

Right back
Toby replacement (if he goes)
Midfielder
Eriksen replacement (if he goes)
Cover for Kane (like for like)

That’s 4-5 players. Integrating that many players together almost makes you a club in transition and is more difficult than doing 2 last summer and 2-3 this summer. All we’ve done potentially is kick the can down the road which will make it harder for the manager.

Fingers crossed Toby and Eriksen do stay to minimise this.

I believe it’s a priority as when you see the games he has had to play and the way we have had to change our game it doesn’t always help (and lamppost has scored important goals)

Had we, for arguments sake - Zaha this season. How would things have played out?

Son would have gone CF and Zaha into the AM.

And, IMO, that would have been a hell of a lot better than limping along with Llorente, and seems a lot smarter than having a striker on the bench for months at a time.

As with parklane, I dont having a kid working his way up (and we have a couple of potentials dont we?) but I just dont see the need for a senior striker.

Agreed
It’s why I have said about Mitrovic

I remember, made no sense to me then and doesnt now.

There is nothing about Mitrovic to suggest he will be happy playing second fiddle, let alone sit on his ass for weeks/months at a time.

Had we, for arguments sake - Zaha this season. How would things have played out?

Son would have gone CF and Zaha into the AM.

And, IMO, that would have been a hell of a lot better than limping along with Llorente, and seems a lot smarter than having a striker on the bench for months at a time.

As with parklane, I dont having a kid working his way up (and we have a couple of potentials dont we?) but I just dont see the need for a senior striker.

I remember, made no sense to me then and doesnt now.

There is nothing about Mitrovic to suggest he will be happy playing second fiddle, let alone sit on his ass for weeks/months at a time.

Why second fiddle though
Kane can drop into a number 10 don’t forget as we have done before but playing with a mobile player would help

Why second fiddle though
Kane can drop into a number 10 don’t forget as we have done before but playing with a mobile player would help

Kane shouldnt be dropping to #10, he is far to good as he is to be compromised by playing another striker.

Particularly as he works so well with the line behind him rotating positions etc.

And Mitrovic is FAR from the player to warrant that sort of change.

If we bought him he would be the same as Llorente, spending weeks/months on his ass then not that sharp the rare chances he does get.

Using Son means everyone is sharp when they play. It also means we have room for someone like Sterling to come up from the academy.

I do think that another problem with our transfer inactivity last year is that most people are agreed we now potentially need 3-5 players:

Right back
Toby replacement (if he goes)
Midfielder
Eriksen replacement (if he goes)
Cover for Kane (like for like)

That’s 4-5 players. Integrating that many players together almost makes you a club in transition and is more difficult than doing 2 last summer and 2-3 this summer. All we’ve done potentially is kick the can down the road which will make it harder for the manager.

Fingers crossed Toby and Eriksen do stay to minimise this.

I agree, that is what we need, but I think the difference will be that moves that we make will be with players coming into a club where norms, values, culture and a way of working is already established. When we tried it with the Bale money, we were almost cheating by trying to skip the stage of establishing the strong base, but now we have it.

With a core of Kane, Winks, Dier, Sissoko, Lloris, Jan, Son, Dele, there are enough players there who will get serious minutes that should see any poor behaviour self correct pretty quickly. Not to mention Davies, Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Foyth, Moura that will be stalwarts, still here and still bought in to the values.

Kane cover should be a wide forward and won’t necessarily need to start too much. But I’d say if we make those signings, it will be just enough of a refresh to make the club feel fresh again. We almost need it to feel different, with a whole season in the new ground, and given how we’ve stuttered to the end this season.

The important thing is Poch’s authority is established, and anyone coming in knows they have to play by those rules. We still have to be careful, but I think we’ll get the balance right. I guess a comparison point could be Pep’s second season at City. 3 new full backs, Laporte added mid season, a new goalkeeper, Bernardo Silva added. A fair few moves, but they needed to regenerate.

Back