• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

It was an example off the top of my head showing what the leagues top players go for - the fact that 60m is the 3rd highest transfer fee recieved by a German club would suggest my point is still valid even if you want to argue the toss over that particular transfer.

1. Well what do you expect? German clubs are not rich so they cannot afford to charge silly money to fellow German clubs
2. You also ignore the fact that most of the top players in Germany end up joining Bayern on a free, like Lewandowski for instance who would have smashed that record.
3. If an English club were to come knocking for a quality player he ain't gonna be cheap, for every new tv deal the more money will be asked by German clubs of English clubs. Dortmund have already hinted that Pulisic will not leave for less than £100m

If the fee reflected the players ability id be happy with him too, a decent squad option that gives us something different - do i think he's worth what he is being touted for or that we shouldn't be able to find better options for the prices quoted? Not on your nelly

No problem. We have 17 days to complete our transfer business

One of these guys that shoots down your opinion because he doesn't agree with it. This is why i rarely get involved in debates on this forum. Tell me why it is tosh? he got games for Everton and for Us in his natural position and for one reason or another he didn't keep his place.

Does it really matter how well Zaha does at Palace? its a completely different ball game at a top club where you are not the queen bee. At the end of the day both Lucas and Zaha have not had a run in the Tottenham side so who is to know how well they will do? my argument is £60m for a risk or go with the guy we already have?

Apologies for the remark but I simply cannot agree with you. There is nothing queen bee about Zaha. We will be asking him to do exactly the same thing he did at Palace to the extent that the best team in the land adapted their game plan to double mark him (http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-wilfried-zaha-rather-than-breaking-records). The only difference is that instead of having a lumbering oaf like Benteke or Gayle to support he will have the likes of Kane and Alli, who will benefit immensely from having team double mark him .

For the hundreth time, Moura's game and Zaha's game are completely different. By the same argument, we should not have bought Aurier because we had just bought Sanchez.

But we have Lucas, Lamela, Son, Alli and Eriksen fighting it out for potentially 3 spots. Why would we want to spend £60m on someone who will throw their toys out of the pram if he doesn't get a run in the team?

Because he brings a quality that none of those 5 possess!!!

Spurs.jpg

And now you are saying that he will be disruptive when there is absolutely nothing in his past to suggest that.

If anything the Sissoko transfer shows that it's foolish to overpay on players because of a PL premium

Guess Poch does not share that opinion, seeing as he played 1379 minutes in Premiership games alone last year. Is that worth 5mill or so a year? But that's another story. The issue here is whether Zaha can bring something different to our team.

Guess Poch does not share that opinion, seeing as he played 1379 minutes in Premiership games alone last year. Is that worth 5mill or so a year? But that's another story. The issue here is whether Zaha can bring something different to our team.

Um no the issue is whether 60m for Zaha represents a good deal and whether or not we can spend it more wisely abroad - haven't in the slightest argued he wouldn't bring something different to the team

Um no the issue is whether 60m for Zaha represents a good deal and whether or not we can spend it more wisely abroad - haven't in the slightest argued he wouldn't bring something different to the team

OK - we seem to be converging. The only way you can answer that argument is by stating which player you would sign instead and who would possess the exact same qualities that we are agreeing that Zaha would bring to our team i.e. pace, dribbling and take-on's - and who is actually get-able and would come to us.

Only then can your question be answered.

Over to you...

OK - we seem to be converging. The only way you can answer that argument is by stating which player you would sign instead and who would possess the exact same qualities that we are agreeing that Zaha would bring to our team i.e. pace, dribbling and take-on's - and who is actually get-able and would come to us.

Only then can your question be answered.

Over to you...

Brandt and Bailey are two

I don't feel i need to list players to justify my position that Zaha is not a 60m player tbqh especially as it already seems accepted that he is over priced because PL premium/contract situation and his importance to his current club, therefore common sense would dictate that shopping abroad will get you better VFM and ultimately, unless i know how much Sporting Lisbon, for example, would accept for Martins or what Bilbao would accept for Williams any list would be a waste of time

Last edited:
I don't feel i need to list players to justify my position that Zaha is not a 60m player tbqh especially as it already seems accepted that he is over priced because PL premium/contract situation and his importance to his current club, therefore common sense would dictate that shopping abroad will get you better VFM and ultimately, unless i know how much Sporting Lisbon, for example, would accept for Martins or what Bilbao would accept for Williams any list would be a waste of time

Of course you do... otherwise you are just being negative for the sake of it.

And are you referring to these (playing in two leagues where other than a handful of teams, the rest are attacker's fodder...

Spurs3.jpg

Would I prefer Zaha at 60 mill than one of these two at 30? Every day of the week...

Yeah i tend to look at more than just how good a player is at take ons and being fouled when judging whether they are a good wide forward or not

Yeah i tend to look at more than just how good a player is at take ons and being fouled when judging whether they are a good wide forward or not

Agreed, and on that basis I would like us to sign Zaha.

But I can assure you that I am open minded on the subject, and would be happy to accept a player that could do a similar job for us. I cannot help but notice however that despite your obvious disdain for Zaha you have not suggested any alternative options for us to discuss.

Agreed, and on that basis I would like us to sign Zaha.

But I can assure you that I am open minded on the subject, and would be happy to accept a player that could do a similar job for us. I cannot help but notice however that despite your obvious disdain for Zaha you have not suggested any alternative options for us to discuss.

I don't have a disdain for Zaha, he's a decent player and i would have him here as a squad option if his price reflected that. 60m however is crazy money, it would be the15th highest fee of all time (wiki), our largest transfer fee by double - and it would be for a squad player! just because badly managed clubs who have become cash rich these past couple of seasons are throwing stupid fees around for average players doesn't mean we have to lose our brick and start over paying too

What do you think you are proving with these squawka posts?

That, unlike you, I at least attempt to back my arguments with some facts or statistics. And by using the current gold standard for this role - Hazard - showed that the choice of the stats were completely valid.

Yes them

How do their assists and goal stats compare?

I did not include those stats for the simple reason that assists depend on teammates actually being in a position to take advantage of the pass - how often did we see Benteke blaze the ball out after being put in a great position by Zaha. Also, it is not uncommon that a dribbler like Zaha would provide the pre-assist... i.e. the pass that opens up a packed defence for a goal, one or two moves later. As for goals, that is not what I would look for in Zaha. His role would be to disrupt packed defences, allowing the likes of Kane and Alli to do what they do best. Though the goal stats of the three are quite close actually...

Last edited:
You're backing up a point that we already agree on though, that Zaha is
good at dribbling - that alone doesn't make him worth 60m+ to us.

That, unlike you, I at least attempt to back my arguments with some facts or statistics. And by using the current gold standard for this role - Hazard - showed that the choice of the stats were completely valid.

I did not include those stats for the simple reason that assists depend on teammates actually being in a position to take advantage of the pass - how often did we see Benteke blaze the ball out after being put in a great position by Zaha. Also, it is not uncommon that a dribbler like Zaha would provide the pre-assist... i.e. the pass that opens up a packed defence for a goal, one or two moves later. As for goals, that is not what I would look for in Zaha. His role would be to disrupt packed defences, allowing the likes of Kane and Alli to do what they do best. Though the goal stats of the three are quite close actually...

I think you need a bigger range of stats to argue your case here as the ones your have quoted are selective

Dont forget the two players your comparing him with are younger, less experienced and not playing for the very top side either

He's pretty good at one thing - dribbling. Not passing, not shooting, not general spatial awareness, not defensive positioning.

He's good at dribbling.

His value to us probably lies more in the fact that he's big, fast, can cover multiple positions (up front/on the wing), is homegrown for the purposes of UEFA squad rules...*and* is good at dribbling.

Is that collectively worth whatever Palace will ask? I'm unsure.

Back