• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willian

Then that's silly. We will NEVER be able to replace Bale in that case. Madrid are simply after Bale because of the season he just had. You reckon if he scored 15 league goals they'd be after him? No ****ing chance. Bale is more accomplished and more experienced than Lamela, it's simply a Real Madrid marquee signign, Lamela wouldn't be, just like Isco and Illaramendi aren't.

We've upgraded the squad as a whole and we look much better than we did last year with or without Bale.

Of course we can replace Bale. But Lamela is just not going to have the season that Bale has just had with us. He won't. Therefore, if he was the only replacement in an attacking sense, we would be weaker.

If we get Willian as well, it's another dimension, we are more diverse, there's an extra bit of quality coming from another area of the pitch. We will have used Bale's money to improve the team as a whole.

We do look much better than last year, but my worry is the clubs who finished above us will do so too, leaving us back where we started. We need to break the mould and get something ahead of one of them. Otherwise a Chelsea improvement and a weaker Spurs just means there is nigh on zero chance of finishing ahead of them again.

Eriksen will not improve us? hahaha

People would rather spend £30m on a player they have never seen play =D> amazes me this site.

How do you know people haven't seen Willian play?

But have you seen Eriksen play? I have seen all his games for the danish national team, he hasn't improved the last two years. Even against poor teams he is often anonymous and he doesn't score goals, apart from freekicks. Dont know where he would play in a 4-3-3 either as he isn't a wide player, and is way too weak to play in a midfield three in the PL.

Of course we can replace Bale. But Lamela is just not going to have the season that Bale has just had with us. He won't. Therefore, if he was the only replacement in an attacking sense, we would be weaker.

If we get Willian as well, it's another dimension, we are more diverse, there's an extra bit of quality coming from another area of the pitch. We will have used Bale's money to improve the team as a whole.

We do look much better than last year, but my worry is the clubs who finished above us will do so too, leaving us back where we started. We need to break the mould and get something ahead of one of them. Otherwise a Chelsea improvement and a weaker Spurs just means there is nigh on zero chance of finishing ahead of them again.

But it's not though. Solado will add more goals than Adebayor and Defoe. I'm sure Paulinho would score more too. You simply dont' lose 30 goals because you sell a player, that's stupid. Arsenal still scored a **** load of goals last year despite losing a player they relied heavily on the year before, maybe because they actually played more like a team like we've been doing thr past two games.

How do you know people haven't seen Willian play?

But have you seen Eriksen play? I have seen all his games for the danish national team, he hasn't improved the last two years. Even against poor teams he is often anonymous and he doesn't score goals, apart from freekicks. Dont know where he would play in a 4-3-3 either as he isn't a wide player, and is way too weak to play in a midfield three in the PL.

Eriksen is one of my favourite players and i watch alot of Ajax games and have for years. You can't really judge anyone on internationals as there are alot of very good club players who suck at international football.

I'm sure everyone said Countinho was way to weak to play in the middle (and the prem) and look how that worked out.

But it's not though. Solado will add more goals than Adebayor and Defoe. I'm sure Paulinho would score more too. You simply dont' lose 30 goals because you sell a player, that's stupid. Arsenal still scored a **** load of goals last year despite losing a player they relied heavily on the year before, maybe because they actually played more like a team like we've been doing thr past two games.

yep good point

even if we dont get Willian im convinced we will still spend big and bring in talented players to add to the terrific spending we have done so far. Good good times to be a Spurs fan

Solado will add more goals than Adebayor and Defoe. I'm sure Paulinho would score more too. You simply dont' lose 30 goals because you sell a player, that's stupid. Arsenal still scored a **** load of goals last year despite losing a player they relied heavily on the year before, maybe because they actually played more like a team like we've been doing thr past two games.

I'm worried that the problem for the last few years has been we needed someone to finish, but we are selling the one player who can put the ball in the box. So doesn't matter who we stick up top they wont score the goals. There was a reason Bale scored the most goals from outside the box last season, because we can't open teams up

I'm worried that the problem for the last few years has been we needed someone to finish, but we are selling the one player who can put the ball in the box. So doesn't matter who we stick up top they wont score the goals. There was a reason Bale scored the most goals from outside the box last season, because we can't open teams up

i got the impression that his teammates simply said fcuk it, give it to Bale and let him do the business. The rest simply stopped trying, stopped making runs. Footballers can be a cowardly bunch sometimes.

i got the impression that his teammates simply said fcuk it, give it to Bale and let him do the business. The rest simply stopped trying, stopped making runs. Footballers can be a cowardly bunch sometimes.

There was probably an element of this, but only after we'd tried for most of the match to find a way through. Our passing and movement in the last third was very rigid last season with us using a similar patterns of play we really didn't mix it up much which is why we struggled to get goals last season. Creativity and movement were all lacking mainly because we didn't replace those element after selling VdV and Modric, but also AvB's tactics where he likes to retain possession and buildup attacking phases slower.

Eriksen will not improve us? hahaha

People would rather spend £30m on a player they have never seen play =D> amazes me this site.

Not only that, but it seems that people here rate him very high. I am fairly familiar with him, I don´t see what he has to offer over Gylfi, and it is not like Gylfi is the world´s best player according to people here :-"

There was probably an element of this, but only after we'd tried for most of the match to find a way through. Our passing and movement in the last third was very rigid last season with us using a similar patterns of play we really didn't mix it up much which is why we struggled to get goals last season. Creativity and movement were all lacking mainly because we didn't replace those element after selling VdV and Modric, but also AvB's tactics where he likes to retain possession and buildup attacking phases slower.

that was more of a problem

There is no mistaking that if Willian was the only player we signed before the end of the window that he would be a massive peice of the missing jigsaw.... (it is amazing what youtube can show me :D )

Chelsea however if they are in for him are truly shocking just taking a player they do not need just to **** on our parade... bigger fish to fry or not they know two season ago we have finished above them and last season just 3 points behind them.... they will want to keep us down

slightly off topic - I am fast coming to the opinion that chelsea are more hateable than ****

It amazes me how much negativity people are showing here! hahahaha you fickle people!

We got this coming, we knicked Dempsey and Gylfi from Liverpool just the same way. And also, the price was insane for a man who has only played 2 international caps and his only experience is eastern European and decent run in European cups. I am FAR MORE excited about Lamela who I think can easily fill Bale´s boot and I think RM are completly insane going for Bale instead of him for more than half the price.

Also, if Willian is this sort of character, that is only looking for money, then surely we would have lost him in one year time to Real Madrid or Chelsea.

Chelsea are just buying another player they can not use, they did the same last year with Marin. They bought him just so the competition could not buy him.

Roll on Chelsea at WHL when AVB´s army will thrash that team 3-0!

I agree, a mate of mine said something that hit home "what made him worth 30m, his passport???"

Look we know we have money in order to spend 30m on this guy, if he goes to Chelsea then we can look at others, Hernanes, Strootman, Ganso, Machismo etc

There is so much talent out there

Some of the alternatives mentioned if WIllian falls through really fail to address the problem. What I think Willian will solve is out lack of creativity in central areas in and around the box (ie just off Soldado); we havent had this cleverness in those areas since Rafa left. Siggy isnt producing yet and is at least one level, if not more, below the likes of Willian who have done it in the CL. Siggy may develop enough but he may not.

We have some options out wide however all have reasony why we would look for someone who is more developed:
Townsed - doing well but still potential rather than proven
Chadli - more advanced in terms of being proven than Townsend and not yet proven in England
Lennon - plateaud and arguably wont get any better

Lamela, whilst I havent seen huge amounts of him, is more additive to Willian rather than an alternative as he operates wider than Willian whereas Willian can operate in that no 10 role

I agree, a mate of mine said something that hit home "what made him worth 30m, his passport???"

Look we know we have money in order to spend 30m on this guy, if he goes to Chelsea then we can look at others, Hernanes, Strootman, Ganso, Machismo etc

There is so much talent out there

Strootman has just moved this summer to Roma

Ganso is not very good at all

plus both play deeper than a player like Willian, so not really alternatives anyway

but yep im sure there are others out there that Baldini knows about

I'm not saying we can't score goals because Bale's going. I don't actually care, I'm happy with him going when it looks like we will replace the team to such an extent that we strengthen ahead of what our rivals are capable of.

My point is that if a rival strengthen's by directly weakening us then it is bad. Chelsea better. Us worse. Less chance of finishing ahead of them. That is what I am trying to say.

Soldado is a definite improvement on what we've had, and so is Paulinho. But to have Willian and Lamela would have made me think that no other team in the league is actually ahead of us in terms of quality in the squad. Now though, it's not the same.

I'm not saying we can't score goals because Bale's going. I don't actually care, I'm happy with him going when it looks like we will replace the team to such an extent that we strengthen ahead of what our rivals are capable of.

My point is that if a rival strengthen's by directly weakening us then it is bad. Chelsea better. Us worse. Less chance of finishing ahead of them. That is what I am trying to say.

Soldado is a definite improvement on what we've had, and so is Paulinho. But to have Willian and Lamela would have made me think that no other team in the league is actually ahead of us in terms of quality in the squad. Now though, it's not the same.

i think Chelsea were always going to finish ahead of us this season, Willian or no Willian

It would be strengthening Chelsea but if the rumours are true that they'd be getting rid of Mata it's weakening them despite them potentially getting Rooney too. With every strength Chelsea may go too, it looks like Arsenal are getting weaker, it all evens itself out.

I just hope Spurs fans in general can forget and stop focusing about other teams in the league and just sort of focus on the team they love and support and be happy that we are moving in the right direction with brilliant signings and so far promising results.

Back