• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who would we miss the most ?

Player that would be missed the most

• Modric

Votes: 60 40.3%
  • Van Der Vaart

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Bale

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • Parker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Adebayor

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Walker

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • BAE

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Friedel

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Other....please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not necessarily and your condescension will do little to win over the undecided to your argument.

Modric is undoubtedly our best player but that does not necessarily mean that he would be the hardest to replace. We have a number of players in the squad who can cover his role now (admittedly not to the same standard) whereas there are other positions where we are short of cover and it is difficult to sign replacements.

Mate,

We have players who purport to cover his position (says they play CM on their CV) but Modric is (for me) the outstanding midfield talent in the perm, and if he added 8-10 goals a season to his play he would easily be one of the top three in the world. He is absolutely irreplaceable for us. 50 million would get replacements, but we would have to change our way of playing IMHO...I genuinely believe that Slavan Bilic has done us a massive, massive favor by talking us up, and I hope that a CL place, hopefully a trophy and definitely a higher basic wage with massive 'fudge off' lump sum package to make up the wage differential will be enough to keep him. To our play, he is absolutely priceless and irreplaceable IMHO...

Steff

Actual the comparison to Gerrard is apt I believe. Maybe not in playing style but in impact on the team and result. I think Bale is probably the only player who could single handedly win a match for us.

I picked Bale but there are obvious arguments for more than half the first team as being the 'most missed'. I guess what it tells me is that we have the best 1st team we've had in years and are just a few players away from a real tilt at the title. Who would have thought that a few years ago?

1 vote for VDV is surprising too as he's be may be 2nd or 3rd on my list. When VDV plays well Spurs win as far as I can see.

VdV has been excellent in recent weeks, looks to have slimmed down a tad and looks to be taking the bit between the teeth. He is stepping up, as I expect world cup finalists/players of his talent, to do...

Bale is wonderful but still has another two years to mature into the full monty IMHO, he is close but still by the standards of his potential a little inconsistent; he's certainly getting there and when he does take charge of a game, he is a joy to watch. But Modric, when in the middle, when protected and when not crowded by his own side, is an architect of the highest calibre...funny to see how few people have picked up on Benny's enormous importance to our flow too. When he's allowed to push from deep, he really gets the Modric/Bale/VdV triangle working...

Luka Modric's role within the team isn't to score goals - he doesn't have to when we have Van der Vaart, Bale, Adebayor and Defoe in our squad. He is the person that recycles possession, creates options for his teammates and creates chances for others.

You'd also think that Xavi would have a lot of assists to his name, but he surprisingly doesn't. I don't agree with comparing Iniesta to Modric either, they're two completely different players.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "recycles possession"?

Someone who is constantly looking to receive the ball and pass it on to a free team mate. For example someone like Xavi, who seems to be in space a large amount of the time.

My impression of this term was more what Parker does. Simple passing, generally taking up positions where he can receive the ball without too much pressure on him to have space to make those passes. Ah well.

It's all very well saying that people don't understand football if they do not agree with your viewpoint, but surely you have to back it up with your explanation as to why you think Modric is the most missed?

Not that I disagree with your viewpoint (see my earlier post in the thread if you like), but I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

actually it was if they didn't agree with Nayims viewpoint.

Virtually all of the players in the team have an obvious stand in, and some are clearly better than others. You could say that Modric has any number of stand ins, including Bentley and Jenas etc etc

But the crux of the matter is that of all of the players, which one would be the hardest to replace, because of what he does for the team.

I made the condescending remark as a joke, simply because I don't really see anyone beyond Modric as the answer. He is so pivotal in the way the team works, his workrate, skill level, passing ability are just so much higher than everyone elses. Bale is a real talent, but he's played in games where he's been toss, and we've still got by. When Luka is missing or playing badly, the team goes down a notch.

ergo - I share the opinion that its a no brainer, his influence is so great, in terms of team output (when he's playing and on form) - that the question of who is the hardest to replace, because they will be missed the most, is wee big nose himself.

The condescention was deliberate, because I cannot see why everyone can't see it, and why the discussion has to exist. To me its blindingly obvious.

However, I meant no offence, it was a jokey method of getting my opinion across, not a comment to be taken literally. So if anyone was genuinely put out, I apologise without reservation.

I really value your feedback and your opinions will be taken into consideration.......................
O:)

Bale for me. Elevates us to a different level when he is on his game.

100% Agree. When Bale plays well the team plays well. Cant understand the votes for Modric. Look at his goals and assists record. He is NOT a game changer. Only Bale (and possibly Ade and Defoe) come into this category. Bale is an out and out match winner single handedly. Totally irreplaceable and worth at least two Modders imo.

100% Agree. When Bale plays well the team plays well. Cant understand the votes for Modric. Look at his goals and assists record. He is NOT a game changer. Only Bale (and possibly Ade and Defoe) come into this category. Bale is an out and out match winner single handedly. Totally irreplaceable and worth at least two Modders imo.

Another way of saying that is to say "for Bale to play well, the team has to play well".

Meanwhile, Modric actually makes us play well. He is a game changer by changing the way we play. By letting other play well. And, like has already been pointed out, by for example releasing Bale like he did against Swansea.

You can't understand the votes for Modric, I can't understand that you can't look past the goals and assists stats to see who influences games.

For what it's worth (I'm not going to include the first 2 games of the season where we were missing a few players and Ade and Parker were not even signed yet):

Bale has missed 2 league game this season (Sunderland home and Manchester united home) and we Won 1-0 and lost 0-3 respectively.

Modric has missed 1 league game this season (WBA away) and we won 3-1.

Adebayor has missed 2 league game this season (Emirates Marketing Project away and Stoke home) and we lost 3-2 and drew 1-1 respectively.

Another way of saying that is to say "for Bale to play well, the team has to play well".

Meanwhile, Modric actually makes us play well. He is a game changer by changing the way we play. By letting other play well. And, like has already been pointed out, by for example releasing Bale like he did against Swansea.

You can't understand the votes for Modric, I can't understand that you can't look past the goals and assists stats to see who influences games.

We are talking about a key CENTRAL Midfield player. Not a sitting DEFENSIVE midfield player. His lack of goal assists and goals is truly appalling.

Out of all those games i would say our best performance and the performance where we created the most goalscoring opportunities was against WBA (away) which is weird considering we was missing our most creative midfielder.

Mate,

We have players who purport to cover his position (says they play CM on their CV) but Modric is (for me) the outstanding midfield talent in the perm, and if he added 8-10 goals a season to his play he would easily be one of the top three in the world. He is absolutely irreplaceable for us. 50 million would get replacements, but we would have to change our way of playing IMHO...I genuinely believe that Slavan Bilic has done us a massive, massive favor by talking us up, and I hope that a CL place, hopefully a trophy and definitely a higher basic wage with massive 'fudge off' lump sum package to make up the wage differential will be enough to keep him. To our play, he is absolutely priceless and irreplaceable IMHO...

Steff

I agree, if we want to continue to play exactly the same. Everything goes through Modric, we would play differently without him. I think that would be easier to overcome within our wage cap than a quality striker who can lead the line.

Modric. He's the playmaker; the focal point; the hub of our team.

Not a game changer though. Which game has he taken by the scruff of the neck and turned one point into three or no points into one? I recall we did really well at AC Milan last year without him and also at WBA away when we created numerous chances. for me, he just doesnt step up for the biggest games and is one of the reasons why our record against the big boys is so poor.

We are talking about a key CENTRAL Midfield player. Not a sitting DEFENSIVE midfield player. His lack of goal assists and goals is truly appalling.

Have you ever stopped to think that Bale wouldn't be anywhere near as effective if Modric wasn't in the side? What genuine central midfielders score bundles and get direct assists? Luka's the glue, our transitional player between defence and attack, we have good defensive midfielders, we have good attacking midfielders and we have Modric.

Up until this year, we had NEVER lost when Modric had started against Arsenal.
Ripped Man Utd a new one in the Carling Cup final.
Scored a winning goal against Chelsea.
Scored two goals in the past two years against Liverpool.

Modric a reason why our record is poor? Behave.

For me, what Modric is the best at is as a deep playmaker. Like Xabi Alonso, like Pirlo, to some extent like Xavi. Neither of those players are great goalscorers, yet all are great players.

Up until this year, we had NEVER lost when Modric had started against Arsenal. Not sure about this one. How many times have we beaten the scum thanks to him?
Ripped Man Utd a new one in the Carling Cup final. Did we win the game?
Scored a winning goal against Chelsea. Not in the last two years
Scored two goals in the past two years against Liverpool. Hardly a big team - and one of the goals was a pen if I am not mistaken

Modric a reason why our record is poor? Behave.
Would like to see his overall record against Man U, Man C, Arse and Chelsea. Does anyone have this stat?

Not a game changer though. Which game has he taken by the scruff of the neck and turned one point into three or no points into one? I recall we did really well at AC Milan last year without him and also at WBA away when we created numerous chances. for me, he just doesnt step up for the biggest games and is one of the reasons why our record against the big boys is so poor.

What does it mean to "take a game by the scruff of the neck"?

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/versus-top-half/full

This season against the top half, we're 4th.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2010-2011/versus-top-half/full

Last season against the top half, we were 2nd.

If anything Modric is one of the reasons we have been doing well against top teams. If my memory serves me right we have done quite well against "the big boys" under Harry (which has been with Modric in the centre most of the time).

For me, what Modric is the best at is as a deep playmaker. Like Xabi Alonso, like Pirlo, to some extent like Xavi. Neither of those players are great goalscorers, yet all are great players.
All the above are great players but also great playmakers, creators and scorers of vital goals.

Back