• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

Who is the best Spurs manager/coach of the Premier League era?

• Total voters
I know the votes for Ossie, Ramos and Gross are joke ones, but Gerry Francis deserved some credit. He was one of our better appointments. I remember the year when we signed Armstrong, being pretty high up the table around Christmas. He did well.

Actually , no . My vote for Ossie AND Stevie was made on the basis that they weren't given the chance by a football ignorant chairman & Spurs board and my belief that had they been given the time, they would have built something special and taken us further than any of the subsequent managers did. They wouldn't have left us for no other job either and they would've built a system of play like Wenger did at the Goons. We were ahead in our football thinking to all the other hoofing premeirship teams of the time
with those two Spurs legends at the helm (Wenger had not even arrived) , but Sugar bottled it and reverted back to short term prehistoric football based purely on results.

Last edited:
He was awful, fella. The decent year and a half he had was because he inherited some good players: Sheringham, Klinsmann, Barmby, Anderton, Popescu, Mabbutt... a young Stephen Carr and Sol Campbell were coming through. All mostly the good work of Venables, who didn't get to build on it... then followed only one decent signing in 4 years (Ginola). Armstrong was good for a season. Ruel Fox for a bit less. Wasted millions on some who were not much good for any period: John Scales, Andy Sinton, Les Ferdinand, Allan Neilsen, Jose Dominguez, Ramos Vega, Steffan Iversen and ultimately Armstrong, Fox and Ferdinand too. Did we get a penny back for any of that lot? Dreadful football. Even that season we were top near Christmas, it was mainly thanks to route one for Armstrong to chase and then build from them. I would honestly stick him well below Graham and Hoddle because of the money he wasted and the fact he inherited some decent players. He only look any good because he took over from the even worse Ossie and simply balanced the midfield before taking out Dumitrescu. Still, a better manager would have made use of Dumitrescu. How did we go from him to Andy Sinton, Dominguez, Neilsen etc?

You think had Ossie been given the funds that Francis spunked on the likes of Fox, Vega, Ferdinand, Armstrong to shore up a defence we would've not gone further with Ossie ?

You think had Ossie been given the funds that Francis spunked on the likes of Fox, Vega, Ferdinand, Armstrong to shore up a defence we would've not gone further with Ossie ?

He quite probably would have signed more of his old mates from Swindon and Saudi Sportswashing Machine! I mean, fudges sake, what was Calderwood, Kerslake and Kevin Scott all about? Rosenthal replaced Sheringham when he broke his leg. Again, WTF? Jason Dozzell? Ossie wasted a fair bit too in his short time! Obviously, love him and Steve Perryman but they weren't up to it!

Arse had their worst start in 100 years last year - guess where they finished

We're not Arsenal though. Man Utd could have their worst start to a season in 4053040 years and they'd probably still end up fighting for the title until the final day.

He was awful, fella. The decent year and a half he had was because he inherited some good players: Sheringham, Klinsmann, Barmby, Anderton, Popescu, Mabbutt... a young Stephen Carr and Sol Campbell were coming through. All mostly the good work of Venables, who didn't get to build on it... then followed only one decent signing in 4 years (Ginola). Armstrong was good for a season. Ruel Fox for a bit less. Wasted millions on some who were not much good for any period: John Scales, Andy Sinton, Les Ferdinand, Allan Neilsen, Jose Dominguez, Ramos Vega, Steffan Iversen and ultimately Armstrong, Fox and Ferdinand too. Did we get a penny back for any of that lot? Dreadful football. Even that season we were top near Christmas, it was mainly thanks to route one for Armstrong to chase and then build from them. I would honestly stick him well below Graham and Hoddle because of the money he wasted and the fact he inherited some decent players. He only look any good because he took over from the even worse Ossie and simply balanced the midfield before taking out Dumitrescu. Still, a better manager would have made use of Dumitrescu. How did we go from him to Andy Sinton, Dominguez, Neilsen etc?

Bloody hell your right. I just remember him reigning back the famous 5, and benching Dumitrescu, and us winning a few games and playing well. Maybe the badger triggered our crappest period with Graham and Gross...

He never had Berbatov and Carrick together - yet still managed 5th with the midfield colossi Malbranque, Tainio and Zokora

Redknapp DIDN'T get the best of Bale - he found out his true ability by near luck and couldn't drop him afterwards - he actually almost sent him out on loan to Forest - and only played him because twitter legend BAE was injured and Rose was unvailable / pants. He also started him at LB initially and simply picked up on his earlier from from those initial weeks under Jol - Please don't re-write history now.

Bale (150% Comolli signing) started very well under Jol (that freekick in the NLD, etc.) and got injured - why so many choose to ignore that in favour of Arry The Innocent is beyond me

What about the countless players he alienated?

You're the one re-writing history. The fact is he was nowhere near the player he is now until Redknapp came in. So because he scored one free kick in a north London derby 5 years ago, that means he was a great player back then does it? Was he winning PFA player of the awards under Martin Jol?

You said in another post that Lennon was at his peak in 09/10, so does the manager not get credit for that one either? Or does he just the blame for all of the ones who didn't work out?

Who are these countless players he alienated?

Arse had their worst start in 100 years last year - guess where they finished

So you're saying that Ramos could have easily steered the ship and then got 4th the very next season? Remind me where he's managing these days? He was such a genius that he played King in Europe and rested him in the league games despite being bottom of the league.

Is he not managing somewhere in Russia or Ukraine?

I remember people on here saying that Ramos reminded them of Fergie and Wenger.

He lost Zamora in January - massive player for them. Gera also was a valuable / experienced midfield unit - so, not really.

Jol managed Hamburger SV and Ajax Amsterdam prior - hardly the Wigans of Europe

Didn't he lose Zamora because he fell out with him? So it's ok for Jol to,"alienate" players but not Redknapp?

So you're saying that Ramos could have easily steered the ship and then got 4th the very next season? Remind me where he's managing these days? He was such a genius that he played King in Europe and rested him in the league games despite being bottom of the league.

That's irrelevant - I simply illustrated how saying we were rock bottom after 8 games doesn't mean we had a brick squad or were bound for relegation (never)

Most of these world beaters took 3 points at WHL during Arry The Innocent's reign

I was simply illustrating that we were bottom of the league despite playing poor sides. It's not like we had a tough start fixture wise. Look at our league form under Ramos after we won the league cup, it was relegation form!

Wigan also took points from us under AVB too.

That's irrelevant - I simply illustrated how saying we were rock bottom after 8 games doesn't mean we had a brick squad or were bound for relegation (never)

It means we had an under performing squad that Redknapp got the best out of. Are you even willing to admit to we played the best football under Redknapp? Or are you going to continue to write such one sided posts?

Last edited:
Back