• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is our best passer?

Agree with the above - Holtby, BAE and Capoue looks promising.

It's not something we excel in, although it's something that (now Parker is gone and Defoe restricted to 8 minutes per match) our entire squad is more than competent at.

Simplicity and accuracy? Capoue appears to have that nailed.. Ambition and distance? Sir Michael Dawson?

Capoue aint a good passer, you`ll quickly learn that. He is a destructor.

Please do no expect too much from him going forward.

Dembélé always has decent completed percentage stats, although I can't really remember much potent passing from him. Nobody really stands out.

Modric, VDV, Hudd, Corluka, BAE probably - we've lost a lot of good passers over the past couple of years.

depends on definition, its easy for a cb to play a square pass under no pressure (or at least it should be), not so easy to thread a ball through tight space in time to an offside breaking run so the stats will skew towards the former

Capoue aint a good passer, you`ll quickly learn that. He is a destructor.

Please do no expect too much from him going forward.

I appreciate you've seen him play a lot more than most, but you have to admit as far as his passing is concerned he's made a great start at Spurs. He's looked really good so far. Fully accept it might not be representative though (but I hope it is!)

EDIT: Just looking through the chalkboards for the two league games this season, the players who jump out are Vertonghen, Capoue and Paulinho. Chadli also looks pretty decent. I don't know how the stats quantify a "key pass" but Chadli excels at them.

Last edited:
depends on definition, its easy for a cb to play a square pass under no pressure (or at least it should be), not so easy to thread a ball through tight space in time to an offside breaking run so the stats will skew towards the former

Verts has puts in some nice through balls when he's come out of defence.

I'd say Vertonghen would probably be better doing that do. The only competition are Siggy, Holtby and Chadli.

But no one makes those passes for Spurs anymore.

The passing stats for 2011/11 season showed Modric making 17 accurate through balls out of 36 attempted in 36 league games. (roughly 0.5 per game)
VDV wasn't too far behind with 13 accurate out of 36 attempted in 25(plus 8 sub) appearances. (roughly 0.5 per game)

Look at last season's stats and our top through ball passer was Clint Dempsey! 6 accurate out of 8 attempted in 22 games (roughly 0.2 per game)

And the stats for the first 2 league games show not a single spurs player has attempted a through ball this season yet!

Back