• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who else would you sell before the end of the transfer window?

Which would you sell?

• Soldado

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Adebayor

Votes: 69 87.3%
  • Chiriches

Votes: 67 84.8%
  • Carroll

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Dembele

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Townsend

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • Lamela

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
I don't understand how people can write off Yedlin six months after he has arrived, when all the noises coming out of both the club and the US national team when he signed were that it would take him a while to settle and longer to make an impact.

Because we have a history of buying random crap t-shirt players from emerging markets - Toda, Mabizela, Khumalo etc.

And because we now have 4 other RBs, at least 3 of whom are rated more highly than him

Because we have a history of buying random crap t-shirt players from emerging markets - Toda, Mabizela, Khumalo etc.

And because we now have 4 other RBs, at least 3 of whom are rated more highly than him

I can see two RBs who are currently ahead of him and I would welcome him being loaned out to get some games under his belt.

I think that it is far too early to decide that he is a t-shirt player. Let's go back and see what Klinsmann said when he joined us:

“We all know we have a very talented kid coming through the ranks and he needs time,”

“He’s still raw. He’s still developing. Tottenham know that, so we hope he’s going to play there right away but if he doesn’t play, it’s not the end of the world.

“He has to learn how to grind things out and fight his way through. He’s in a very good environment there that teaches him to daily focus on his job and daily deliver on his qualities. Over time, hopefully he’ll come through and make his mark on the Premier League. I think he has the talent to do so but it will be a lot of work for him.”

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2015...-new-boy-deandre-yedlin-needs-time-make-mark/

You can't really keep a £15m player solely for the purpose of coming off the bench when we are defending a lead away to one of the other top 6. That'll be maybe 3 x 30 minutes in the season.

I think Pritchard will quickly become our alternative #10

I'd start him against any decent side in that position (dembele that is)

He isn't as effective against sides that sit back and counter though

Have to go:

Ade
Chiriches
Lennon

Probably time to move on:

Stambouli
Soldado
Fredericks
Carroll

I can't see a future role for them, but don't expect them to go this window:

Fazio
Yedlin
Dembele

About right ...

might add Townsend to the probably time to move on group
And Lamela would likely either fit there or in the no long term future

That said, if we sold both Lennon & Townsend in the same Window, we would have to have a lined up replacement

About right ...

might add Townsend to the probably time to move on group
And Lamela would likely either fit there or in the no long term future

That said, if we sold both Lennon & Townsend in the same Window, we would have to have a lined up replacement

On top of more urgently needing a LWF and CF.

I can't see us signing 3 forwards this window. I think we might stick with Lamela and Townsend as our RWFs till at least January.

Can't believe Chiriches isn't 100%. Not that he is that bad...at points last season he was. More that we have some serious CBs now. We just don't need him. Ade yes it would be good to get rid, but at least he has a track record of scoring goals for us.

Soldado achieves almost nothing.
Townsend achieves a lot less i.e. kicking the ball off the pitch or running into a gaggle of defenders.

I am pretty sure that if you distill what the two players produced last season, there wouldn't be too much to crow about but Townsend would be a whisky shot to Soldado's couple of drops at the bottom.

However, if we don't sell Townsend this year, he will still command a decent fee next year (young, English, international); if we don't get rid of Soldado this year, he won't even be sellable as a kit manager in 12 months time; not to mention his wages must surely be much higher than Townsend's

So update ..

Gone = Holtby, Kaboul, Capoue, Paulinho, Stambouli (seems done)
in negotiation = Ade (Villa), Lennon (PL & abroad if rumours are to believed)

Remaining likely = Vlad, Townsend, Soldado

I want Fazio on that list as well. We have 6 centre backs and him and Chiriches are the odd ones out for me. Fazio is too slow and Chriches is too hesitant and takes risks.

Alderweirld and Vertonghen to start with Wimmer and Dier backing up.

So update ..

Gone = Holtby, Kaboul, Capoue, Paulinho, Stambouli (seems done)
in negotiation = Ade (Villa), Lennon (PL & abroad if rumours are to believed)

Remaining likely = Vlad, Townsend, Soldado

I thought Soldado was a rumour to go to Seville as well. That is my wish for the summer. Ade and Soldado gone!!!

I can see us keeping Fazio this season, but Chiriches has to be one we are looking to sell. Fiorentina just sold Savic so perhaps we could float the idea their way.

Someone will buy Lennon and Ade, but I don't know about Soldado. I'd be happy to let Townsend go if we sign another winger, but I don't know if that will happen.

I can see us keeping Fazio this season, but Chiriches has to be one we are looking to sell. Fiorentina just sold Savic so perhaps we could float the idea their way.

Someone will buy Lennon and Ade, but I don't know about Soldado. I'd be happy to let Townsend go if we sign another winger, but I don't know if that will happen.
I still think the Mirallas <-> Lennon deal might happen in some form maybe closer to the end of the window. And I wouldn't be too disappointed by that if it did happen, but as you say if Townsend goes as well we'd need to be in the market for two inside forwards. I think we'll keep Townsend though and give him one last crack at it.

At a guess I'd say Ade, Lennon and Vlad will be the last three out in this window.

I don't mind Fazio but there's no point us keeping him around on 30-40k(?) a week on the off chance that three of our other CBs all happen to be injured at the same time. Veljkovic or CCV are more than capable of fulfilling this minimal role, there's no need to be scared.

I don't mind Fazio but there's no point us keeping him around on 30-40k(?) a week on the off chance that three of our other CBs all happen to be injured at the same time. Veljkovic or CCV are more than capable of fulfilling this minimal role, there's no need to be scared.
Couldn't disagree more. Fazio is under-rated in my view. He didn't have an amazing first season, but he's a decent player and a more than able squad member. I also think it's vital to have 5 CBs going into a season with European football. Not in case three others are injured simultaneously; but in case two are injured. You need some flexibility and rotation when you're in four competitions, and you risk losing that when you go into the season with only 4 CBs. Two injuries and suddenly you're forced to play the same two CBs in every single match.

This is especially true when one of them (Wimmer) is a young and unproven newcomer to the league. He might go on to be a great signing for us, but it might not be in his first season. If we get to the end of the season without any major injuries in defence then it'll look like keeping Fazio was unnecessary. But I prefer to build some contingency into the squad. And as I've said, I don't think we could get a much better player who is willing to be primarily used as cover and rotation.

As for Veljkovic or CCV... I expect great things of them, which is why I want to see them get another season of regular first-team football. This is a crucial year for Veljkovic... far better he is starting every week for MK Dons or Brentford than sitting on our bench and getting a handful of minutes every few weeks.

Couldn't disagree more. Fazio is under-rated in my view. He didn't have an amazing first season, but he's a decent player and a more than able squad member. I also think it's vital to have 5 CBs going into a season with European football. Not in case three others are injured simultaneously; but in case two are injured. You need some flexibility and rotation when you're in four competitions, and you risk losing that when you go into the season with only 4 CBs. Two injuries and suddenly you're forced to play the same two CBs in every single match.

This is especially true when one of them (Wimmer) is a young and unproven newcomer to the league. He might go on to be a great signing for us, but it might not be in his first season. If we get to the end of the season without any major injuries in defence then it'll look like keeping Fazio was unnecessary. But I prefer to build some contingency into the squad. And as I've said, I don't think we could get a much better player who is willing to be primarily used as cover and rotation.

As for Veljkovic or CCV... I expect great things of them, which is why I want to see them get another season of regular first-team football. This is a crucial year for Veljkovic... far better he is starting every week for MK Dons or Brentford than sitting on our bench and getting a handful of minutes every few weeks.

We seem to be the only club that needs five first team centre backs. Chelsea won the league with Terry, Cahill and Zouma. City finished 2nd with Kompany, Demichelis and Mangala. Arsenal 3rd with Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel joining halfway through. Utd and Liverpool each had four .. yet it's vital we have five?

Rabiot and Berahino for me now - not sure whether that's feasible, in terms of money raised by the outgoings but i think these two in would set us up quite nicely

We seem to be the only club that needs five first team centre backs.
No we don't. You're missing the point. I'm talking about planning for injuries and building in flexibility. You then cite some teams who suffered no serious injuries in defence all season and who *did* have cover but just didn't need them.

Chelsea won the league with Terry, Cahill and Zouma. City finished 2nd with Kompany, Demichelis and Mangala. Arsenal 3rd with Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel joining halfway through. Utd and Liverpool each had four .. yet it's vital we have five?

Chelsea won the league with Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Aké and Christensen (along with Ivanovic who can cover that position). The three main guys all stayed on top form and remained injury free so the back-ups only featured in 6 games between them. But they were there!

City finished 2nd with Kompany, Demichelis, Mangala and Boyata (plus at least two top quality full-backs who are comfortable in that role).

"Arsenal 3rd with Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel joining halfway through". But you forgot to mention their back-ups... Hayden and Chambers; both of whom got match time at centre back during the season - albeit very little, because - once again - the main guys remained injury free.

Those back up players would have spent more time on the pitch if Mertesacker or Terry or Kompany had spent a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to injury. Their respective managers were glad they didn't need them; but they didn't go into the season without the back-ups. Of course, in an ideal world you wouldn't need a big squad with a spare CB. But personally I never again want to see us in the kind of situation where we're forced to play Capoue at centre-back, or fielding a back four that includes Jenas and Huddlestone.

I suspect we're not going to agree on this though. So we'll just have to accept that I want more contingency built into the defence than you do. But it's just plain wrong to say that Chelsea only had 3 CBs when - in fact - they had five but were fortunate enough to only need three. Which is exactly what I'm proposing.

Back